Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recoil in an airgun - proof! (edited video)

Recoil in an airgun - proof! (edited video)
February 08, 2009 05:35PM
We did a lot of shooting and movie making yesterday. Late in the afternoon I decided to take a 1000 Frame/sec movie of Gary firing the Prairie 3 out of the war wagon. I had to digitally brighten the movie to make it useable as we had really run out of light by the time I thought of this.

The movie isn't very dramatic but it does show something I had not expected. Check out the scope shade. The shade was screwed in tight, the recoil gets it bouncing pretty good though.

I worked the video a bit. On my screen I can see the recoil effect on the scope pretty clear now and a good bit of the slug travel.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2009 10:20PM by Jerry.
Re: Recoil in an airgun - proof!
February 10, 2009 04:50PM
ok, who said airguns dont recoil?

Oh sure, it wont be 10 guage magnum, or .50BMG intensity, but all airguns move during the firing cycle.

Some, more than others......
February 10, 2009 04:52PM
That vid is too whited out on my screen, but I can see the snake dance of the sunshades if I try.

Gary
February 10, 2009 04:54PM
Just rewatched it.... holy cow thats a lot of movement.

Hi speed is such a great tool!
Re: Recoil in an airgun - proof! (edited video)
February 10, 2009 10:27PM
Dan,
Every now and then the high speed camera actually provides more than a bit of entertainment. In this video the gun is set at pretty high power as you can see from the trajectory of the 94gr Bishop that is being shot. The recoil is enough to get that big shade tube flopping around and to bounce the bi-pod around. This information will lead me to try different holds for high power shooting and to try medium power at 100 yards. Maybe additional video will lead to other ideas or insights?
February 10, 2009 10:36PM
You'd think that the use of Hi Speed in shooting sports could be a lifetime's work. Film from all angles, with different power levels, ammo, enviromental conditions. I think you'd learn a ton reviewing the footage....
February 10, 2009 10:46PM
Could be. I'm not quite ready to commit THAT much effort! laughing again
February 10, 2009 11:49PM
Wow!!!fudd
What FPE is that shooting at??
Was that a vapour trail behind that slug!!?? Maybe just the footage?
February 11, 2009 12:21AM
Hi Paul,
That shot had a muzzle energy of about 175 FPE. I can see the vapor trail too. Pretty cool! I think that at high power the gun is porting more air than this slug can make use of. If I drop to medium power, I can get 150 FPE out of this slug easy and that's plenty for 100 yard shooting. Even on low power with the proper air pressure I can adjust up to around 120 FPE.

I do want to get some more footage at high power though. I want to see what the big 175gr slug does when it's pushing 250 FPE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2009 12:47PM by Jerry.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021