Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

.308 Corsair at varying ranges to.....155 yrds!

.308 Corsair at varying ranges to.....155 yrds!
April 01, 2011 05:24PM
Man, i've been having a ton of fun with my Corsair. I ordered and received yet another bullet shape/mold to try in my Corsair and i've been anxious to try em out every since i've cast some up. I've been wanting to go LIGHTER in weight since i've already tried bullets up to 155 grs. So far, every bullet that i've cast for this gun has proven itself to shoot very accurately. A testament to Randy and Dan build quality. Since Robert Vogel's 125 gr HP bullets shot so well in my gun i wanted to mock up a 125 gr HP of my own. But, i wanted something with a more streamlined shape. So off i go to search the net for something with more of a RN shape then i could simply have it HP'd with a small opening. In my thinking, i would still get some of the effects of a HP and still have a very streamlined bullet to help with downrange efficiency. I went with a Lyman .311" RN mold.

So now, enough of my blabbering. Here are the bullets and the mold (bullets in the pics are not sized):
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Here is a pic of all 4 of my bullets for my 308 Corsair:
Photobucket

On this outing, i finally had a chance to test out not only my new 128.5 gr HP's but finally i could test my semi new 148.5 HP's. Here are 2 pics of groups from the 128.5 and the 148.5 gr HP's at 55 yrds:
Photobucket
Photobucket

Also included is a video of me testing not only my 2 new HP's but, also the Corsair (DANG, HOW FAR CAN THIS THANG' SHOOT?). Oh yeah, i added a lil' touch of humor to the video as i was also out shooting with my UNCLE JEB. He is one hard guy to please and he really pushed me and the Corsair. But i have a feeling, he is not done with me and my BB guns yet...lol:
[www.youtube.com]

Enjoy and STAY TUNED!!
Re: .308 Corsair at varying ranges to.....155 yrds!
April 01, 2011 11:34PM
Good shootin; son! Fun video!
April 02, 2011 12:31AM
Thanx JER...lol
April 02, 2011 12:41AM
Great casting, shootin', video ranglin'. Wow ... that was a good four years of shaving cream sacrificed there! hahah.

Looks like you have your BB guns shooting very well.

I kept expecting to see a bunch of guys running up and down ladders, going in and out of car doors, etc. hahah. Ya see how we've been programmed? hahah.

Thanks for posting. Give it up for Cedric!!!! He's here all week! laughing

smileys with beer

Gary
Anonymous User
April 02, 2011 06:35AM
Great shooting and a excellent video, you got some skills man, both in shooting guns and shooting videos. Enjoyed it much.
April 02, 2011 02:30PM
Hi Cedric,

Looking again, at your slugs. They really look nice.

Is there something that "keys" in that hollow point insert in the Lyman mold. I can't see any. I see that there's a carrier for the inserts, and that's milled into the blocks. But, what keeps that up in position, so it doesn't drift downward?

Nice looking work there. So many bullets ... so little time! hahah. thumbs up

Gary
April 02, 2011 06:42PM
Tofaz, that video was fun!
Looks like you have those HP's shooting nicely. I like the look of those 128.5 grainers. Can't wait to see your results on game.
Cheers
Neil
April 03, 2011 04:42AM
GB, Hope i can explain this well enough. In the very first pic of the mold in 2 halves, looking at the HALF mold block on the right with the INSERT in the block, you can see 2 pin heads in the face of the block. Those 2 pins go through the back of the mold block and are held on by E-CLIPS. So what happens is, after you pour the molten lead, you tap the sprue as usual then turn the mold block over (to drop the bullets), open the handles as usual, and when you open the mold block halves to drop the bullets, the HP block slides itself FREE and CLEAR of the mold block to "DROP" the bullets.

To put it simply, you cast as you normally would any solid bullet type mold. The difference with this one is, you don't have to keep removing and inserting the HP pin like you would any other "AVERAGE" HP mold. This mold cast just as fast as any mold casting solid bullets. Pour, Cut the Sprue, Drop Bullets....done.
April 03, 2011 02:05PM
Thanks Ced,

Guess what I'm not seeing is any wing or connection between the HP pin block and the main blocks. I wondered if it was free and seperate, or articulated.

Thanks thumbs up

Gary
April 03, 2011 05:36PM
Here is a better view of the INSERT BAR HP'ter:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is a link to Eriks website for better explained pics and his services:
[www.hollowpointmold.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2011 05:41PM by Tofazfou.
April 03, 2011 08:04PM
Thanks Faz,

Interesting. Very nice. Setting up to index off of a previously cut mold is a neat trick. He must have a very good yard stick! hahah.

Gary
April 03, 2011 09:33PM
He probably uses one of those self centering dowel drill jigs.... drinking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 30
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021