Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

62 Contrails .... whoooosh (video embedded and link both)

62 Contrails .... whoooosh (video embedded and link both)
December 31, 2011 09:08PM
Jerry wanted me to say something like .... "Cedric ...... BEAT THIS!!!" ... or something like that. hahahah. This is Jerry's Yukon shooting his 577 grain Barnes slug. This is knocking the Steel Fox flat at 150 yards! (That first target backer is at 75 yards, and we didn't even use it yesterday ... We went for long yardage.

Got some good video, this is a taste. What do YOU see?

Green bowing

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2012 05:36AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: 62 Contrails .... whoooosh
January 01, 2012 01:50AM
Good to see someone else at home..... New Years Eve. I see a rocket propelled slug! pretty neat vid
Happy New Year.
Steve
January 01, 2012 02:07AM
Hi Steve. Happy New Year Dude!

Yes, home indeed. Came in from the shop awhile ago. Watching some .... Amazing question mark ... Entertainment from Time Square. Wow. Justin Bieber is gonna be on next. excited

Did you see that contrail blowing to the right with the stiff crosswind? Was an amazing sight. Rocket powered indeed!!!

Thanks for commenting. winking smiley

Gary
January 01, 2012 02:15AM
So how does that contrail follow it so far down the flight path?!! Very Cool Vid.

BTW.. Happy New Year to Everyone

Rick G.
January 01, 2012 03:05AM
Hi Rick,
Happy to you too!
Curious to see what folks are seeing before I jump in. Wild, isn't it?
Gary
January 01, 2012 03:34AM
are you remotely triggering the device on the end of that slugwinking smiley. looks like a missile fired from a sub... it emerges from the water and hangs there. then.... hot smiley
January 01, 2012 05:28AM
For some reason, this video is not appearing on my iphone. Anybody else having an issue? It's here on my PC. Is it a format issue? Anybody seeing it on an iphone? 41 views. It's so dramatic, I find it hard to think only Steve and Rick found it so. I wonder if it's not showing up ... but then, I'd certainly think someone would mention it.

Gary

Here's a link ... rather than an embedded version.

[s434.photobucket.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2012 05:31AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: 62 Contrails .... whoooosh (video embedded and link both)
January 01, 2012 04:02PM
Gary,

Amazing! That is some classic footage.bowing

Lon
January 01, 2012 05:01PM
Great photography! Must have been quite a stiff cross-wind to blow the contrail around that much.
Cheers
Neil
January 01, 2012 06:16PM
Thanks Lon,

We have more as well. I'll work some up.

Was waiting for a few folks to awaken from New Year's Eve first.

I've been working on Sean's SS Woodsman Hybrid.

Check back in an hour or so. I think I recall the steps now for this movie maker program.

Gary
January 01, 2012 08:12PM
AWESOME STUFF. I love seeing vapor trails and bullets in flight! HMMMMMMMM, did you guys put some type of HEAVY PETROLEUM OIL/LUBE on the bullet before firing? I've been wanting to do something like this.

GB, did you photo shop it?......lol

REALLY COOL man. Gonna go watch it about 10 more times.
January 01, 2012 10:24PM
That is definitely wild !

HIgh humidity day? ( I mean, for "winter")

makes the slugs look like little cruise missles !
January 01, 2012 10:46PM
Hi Bill,

Yes - it was humid - as in supposed to rain in the afternoon - did rain at night.

I just posted this on the other movie thread: We'll see how right I turn out to be ...

Those aren't oil residue smoke trails. It's my understanding that we are seeing the slug shear condensation from the air, back lit by the setting sun. To my understanding, the slug's passage thru the air (around the slug) lowers the pressure as it passes. This causes condensation of the moisture in the atmosphere. Now - I don't claim to be very knowledgeble about Bernoulli's Principle. But I think it applies here.

This can be for the engineers in our midst to hash out. I made the gun, slugs, shot them, and taped the footage. I'm pretty sure it was the setting sun backlighting the phenomenon, which made it so visible to the camera.

End Copy:

I'll add. scholar The fact that air velocity speeding up lowers pressure, is the reason why planes can fly. Since the top of the wing is rounded, and the bottom flat, the air has to go farther over the top (in the same time as the bottom does). This nets a velocity gain for the air above the wing. This lowers the pressure on top of the wing. Thus, the relative higher pressure under the wing forces the wing to lift.

When you see the plume of air from a barking big bore PCP, most think the plume of white cloud has come from within the gun itself. No so. Evidently, the rush of high velocity air produced by the discharge of the gun firing, has lowered the pressure in a big ole hole in the atmosphere. That causes the surrounding atmosphere (around the hole you just blasted in it by your high velocity air shot) .... that surrounding atmosphere then condenses ... and you get a cloud of water vapor droplets.

That's my best stab at it. take a bow

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2012 10:51PM by barnespneumatic.
January 01, 2012 10:42PM
looks like its rocket powered ,,, as you say , high humidity low temp kinda day ,,, great vid
January 02, 2012 01:07AM
very SWEET indeed and that video needs to be locked away in a vault. Don't see that with airguns. I claim "RARE VIDEO" footage....lol
January 02, 2012 01:11AM
Hi Cedric,

I have this other footage you may like. Some big fish or something, making a heck of a wake in a lake in Scottland .... took it when I was young ....

whistling

hhahaha.

Yeah ... this one is amazing. We kept looking at each other as the slugs streaked down range. Hey! Is THAT on the tape??? Yep - it is.

Gary
January 02, 2012 05:24PM
Awesome stuff guys
January 02, 2012 06:13PM
Not bright enough for a RAP round, must be a base bleed projectile. (gratuitous artillery references for you non-military backgrounds)

The contrails are real enough, the slugs flat bases are generating a low-pressure wake as they head downrange. The surrouding air is obviously very close to the dew point, where any additional increase in relative humidity can no longer be held in the atmosphere as invisible water vapor and is forced to condense as visible (but very small) water droplets. When the slugs go streaking away, the air is rushing in behind them to fill the vacated space, and as it speeds up its pressure is lowered enough to drop the local dew point just enough to become visible. Pretty neat looking.

You see a similar effect sometimes outside the jet window when you're landing in humid weather. The strong vortexes generated from the wingtips and the flaps ends lower the pressure in the vortex core enough to make it visible. Sometimes you can see them trailing off for hundreds of feet afterwards, as the intense little spinning tornados bleed off their energy. Those are the same vortexes that are responsible for wake turbulence, which pilots and controllers worry about quite a bit when a smaller plane follows a heavy plane taking off or landing. You can blame it on the Italians, some guy named Bernoulli.laughing again
January 02, 2012 07:47PM
The conditions were just right to catch the normally invisible Bernoullis!
January 03, 2012 09:25PM
Good 'ol Bernoulli. A tricky old devil, but effective. winking smiley

Gratuitous aviation geek joke, in case you're wondering, and a bad pun to boot! I'm on a roll here....
January 26, 2012 05:50PM
Amazing!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021