Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another video (and stills) just because it was sunny out!

Another video (and stills) just because it was sunny out!
March 18, 2009 11:23PM
Did you ever drive home from work and think "hey, it's bright out, I need to shoot something and take a video of it?" Well, that's the way I think! eye rolling smiley I'll appreciate you not pointing out how disturbed I really am. scared

Today, the plan was to take a shot at the gel with the Woodsman shooting a 420gr slug. The gel had been shot a bunch of times before (as documented here) but I figured it had one shot left. Chris and I hustled to get the gel set-up and I took a sighter shot and then blasted the gel. The 420gr slug hit low and left of center but the shot was good enough to get a decent video and show the huge temporary cavity one of these big slugs makes. I'm sure we'll do more of these shots in the future and I'm wanting to see what the 545gr slug does too.

I cut the video short for time and space reasons but the whole contraption of boxes and gel was knocked down by the shot. Here are some stills to stop the action.

Impact.jpg
It's hard to tell just looking at the still but if you could scroll back and forth through the video, you would see that the slug has just contacted or is just about to contact the gel at this point.

plus001.jpg
Impact plus .001 second

plus002.jpg
plus .002 second

plus003.jpg
plus .003 second

plus004.jpg
plus .004 second

plus005.jpg
plus .005 second

plus008.jpg
plus .008 second

plus014.jpg
plus .014 second

Unfortunately, since the whole mess came crashing down it was impossible to tell what the exact penetration was especially since the slug exited the gell at some point. We recovered the slug and like the others, it was a tad shorter than it started but did not have gross expansion or distortion. The violence of the impact is really neat to scroll through. Compare the size of the first block of gel in the first frame to the size in the plus .005 shot. The face of the block has expanded dramatically.
Re: Another video (and stills) just because it was sunny out!
March 18, 2009 11:56PM
That's alot of impact. Boy ... in the plus .008 second frame, the thing really exhibits rings of shock waves. Neat.

Gary
March 19, 2009 04:59PM
Wow Jerry, that initial impact is something to behold! Any poor animal on the receiving end of that isn't going to go far...
Cheers
Neil
March 19, 2009 06:24PM
Think of a little "Tweety Bird" or tshumpting!!!

fudd

Gary
March 19, 2009 06:32PM
Awesome, just awesome!!
If that bit of video doesn't demonstrate the power of these rifles then nothing will.
The impact shockwave is incredible!
March 19, 2009 06:37PM
You're right!

Hey - do you think if we all get together, Casio would give us a "group rate" on those cameras. Man ... I'd hoped to "slow down" my rat impact video. And, of course ... one frame it's there ... the next frame it's gone completely. 30 frames per second - poof. I need one of those cameras now too!

Man ... google eyes

Gary
March 19, 2009 07:54PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm glad you're enjoying the videos. Being able to make them has added another dimension to the hobby for me. Having the camera and making the ballistic gel has allowed me to answer some questions and make some comparisons that I could only speculate on before. I've seen online debates about penetration and pellet expansion before that usually devolve down to needing a Weatherby Magnum to humanely take a deer or present (without evidence) ridiculous claims of pellet expansion etc.. It's nice to be able to go and run a test with a representative media and actually watch the results instead of wading through a bunch of guesses and hearsay from self-appointed experts.
March 19, 2009 08:07PM
You're right.

I remember, being a young and innocent airgunsmith first joining a net discussion. Ha!!! Some "expert" chewed me opver good regarding "hydroshock". Said it couldn't happen in a subsonic round ya know. Took him quite alot longer to say that (and something about my mother dressing me funny, I think I recall ...) hahah.

Good to be able to watch it on your own screen.

Gary
March 25, 2009 08:32PM
barnespneumatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some
> "expert" chewed me opver good regarding
> "hydroshock". Said it couldn't happen in a
> subsonic round ya know.

Your serious?!??!! was there "yellow" in the forum title? hehehehehehe cough,ehem...
March 21, 2009 09:31PM
JERRY,

bill cosby would be proud of you making that "JELLO" shake like that.

another awesome slo mo video and a great display of what your gun and camera can do. oh yeah, and your shootings pretty good too.google eyes
March 22, 2009 04:28AM
Hi Ced,
Thanks for noticing. I've got to admit, the camera has added a whole new dimension to the hobby for me. I think it's a lot of fun to actually go out and find the answers to questions and just enjoy the video too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021