Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dancing Steel - Video

Dancing Steel - Video
July 02, 2009 04:04PM
Other guns are being sanded and pushed toward the bluing room, in order to get something out the door asap. One was screwed together in the rough ... just to have something to shoot when time allowed. It's an "off-catalog" idea that I pushed along with other parts.

The steel targets in these two videos were shot at 100 yards each. You can see the slug coming in on at least one of the clips. The targets are heavy steel plate. The energy retained at 100 yards, to cause these heavy steel targets to flip on, and on, and on, ... was significant.

I knew you needed to see something new. That's all for now. Back to work.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2009 08:06PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Dancing Steel
July 02, 2009 04:07PM
Cool!
Re: Dancing Steel
July 02, 2009 04:20PM
Tough to really appreciate what you're seeing here . . . but those steel plates probably weigh 4 pounds each, at least. It takes a tremendous amount of energy to make one flip that many times, especially at 100 yards. My Alpine 45 (550 fpe with heavy Barnes Avalanche slugs) couldn't do that.

-- Jim
Re: Dancing Steel - Video
July 02, 2009 08:36PM
That's a cool video! a tremedous amount of energy to pick up the steel plates like that. what is the caliber and fpe of the gun? thanks Gary!
July 02, 2009 10:31PM
Hello Peter,

It's a rifled 62 caliber - about 740 foot pounds with this 566.5 grain slug. Around 767 feet per second - something like that. I've only had it out once. fudd

Gary
July 03, 2009 01:48AM
Very impressive power Gary! No wonder the steel plates were flipped up like little toys. A serious large game hunting gun you got there! Thanks!
July 02, 2009 08:40PM
Gary,

Thanks, That was great!shooter

Unless I'm mistaken you can see the slugs drop close to the target. Complete energy transfer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2009 08:43PM by Bigbore.
July 02, 2009 10:42PM
Yes - you can see the slug splat tumble off. Quite a smack down! thumbs up

Gary
July 02, 2009 11:11PM
I've got some 20 year old cedar in the basement you could glue up and call it a "laminate" stock. laughing again
July 02, 2009 10:12PM
Nice video Gary! Seems to me that a gun like that makes for a very viable 100 yard hunting machine. That's a LOT of energy tossing that steel target around at 100 (!) yards. Maybe you should put a poplar or pressure treated pine stock on it so it gets used after it leaves the shop? google eyes
July 02, 2009 10:25PM
I was thinking Spruce or Fir. Yeah ... that's the spirit! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Pressure treated makes me itch. grinning smiley
July 02, 2009 11:47PM
Gosh, and here I was thinking you helped with the video Jerry.more confused
July 03, 2009 12:17AM
Lon,
Who me? surprised
Dory,
I think Gary has made several guns in this power class. The Yukon and Justice can both go 700+. I think at this power level you need to look at ranges because the slug weight can vary the power output tremendously, also a bit of tuning can make changes that are more than most airguns can produce in total! It is a sweet gun though!
July 03, 2009 12:12PM
Jerry,

It's been mentioned the 700+ guns. But I was trying to remember and look on the sight where the actual numbers were stated. I was thinking Gary had modified the Yukon power plant a little. The Justice gets a lot of it's numbers by the sheer weight of the bullet. I believe it has a different design than the Yukon class. Dory
July 03, 2009 03:44PM
The numbers become an arms race. Sticky topic. And I don't publish everything, because it rattles thru the ledger like one of those executive desk top toys with the suspended steel balls. Mention something with another 50 fpe, and everything else becomes day old bread ... long faces look on mournfully. I can't take the stress. excited

I've tried to always offer balanced designs, with enough power to cleanly do the job the given model was designed for. And, if more of the guns went into the field, you'd be able to see the results of that. On paper, purely for reading entertainment ... the Victory pistol would be more "readable" if it were 150 fpe. The Justice would be really fine at 1,200 fpe - what a story. However; next week ... that would be old news.

In reality, when someone takes the Victory into the field, it's an amazing pistol that makes the 75 yard steel targets go "CLANG!!!". The Chief Justice cuts off two inch limbs from trees ... "40 yards behind the 90 yard target backer".

Yet another mention of guns in lockers ... I know ... but these are the reasons. If I have to just keep up an endless escalation to keep "reader" interest ... then that's a loosing model. The guns, in the field, amaze the people who see them perform, but I can't go around and shoot them myself. And, once they are shipped from here ... they are gone.

The gun I've just assembled in it's rough parts, and taken to the field; was designed to increase my knowledge of slugs, and rifling twist rates, per caliber ... in large bore airguns. It's not a "correction" of any earlier knowledge. It's a new category of features, drawn upon previous experience. It will provide a few new chapters of knowledge for the shop books. thumbs up coffee

Gary
July 02, 2009 11:45PM
Gee,

Everybody sees to miss the fact it's a rifled .62 not smoothbore. Plus it's the highest energy air rifle that's Gary's made. At least I don't remember any. Of , course my memory might be off a little. Were using 3200 psi air?Dory

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2009 11:47PM by Dory.
July 03, 2009 02:21AM
The data is in the shop. I think it was around 3,200 psi.

Due to the design of the power plant, I decided to rifle this one. The Woodsman Series has great accuracy out to 75 yards or more. It's power is matched to that range. I knew this one (working name "Grizzly") would be able to reach way out, so I build upon the excellent slugs I'd developed for the Woodsman 62 series. A heavier slug would easily add another 100 fpe or more to this gun ... putting it's potential around 850 fpe I suspect ... but I liked the behavior of this very accurate, and fast large 566.5 slug - bringing it in around 740. You see what it does at 100 yards.

Gary
July 04, 2009 07:33AM
Please show me pictures of this, my next BIG-BORE, once I have robbed many banks in order to accumulate the funds to pay for it...
Signed
Clyde
PS...Bonnie, could you look up which bank this Barnes fellow banks at? I need to check that it's secure..smoking smiley
PSS I am gob-smacked by the sheer power of it at 100 yards, Gary...take a bow
July 04, 2009 01:25PM
Hi Neil,

Gob-smacked. Ya just can't hope for more than that! take a bow Thanks.

Yeah ... that would be a fun little gun to shoot tin cans in the back yard. (If they are 55 gal. drums and your back yard is 50 acres). laughing again

Gary
July 03, 2009 11:38PM
That is a perfect name for this gun. I believe it would have no trouble taking out a Grizzly bear. Do I dare say this. The next step will have to be the rifled 87 caliber. Oh ya baby.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021