Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

More testing

More testing
November 08, 2009 09:27PM
I decided to do a little more testing today as the weather was nice and I just wanted to do a little shooting for fun. The last time I was testing I tried the commercial 212gr slugs in the Woodsman and while they made big power, they seemed too small and did not stay stable. I decided to cast some more and size them a little larger to see if that made a difference.

Fresh slugs
212gr 2.jpg
These slugs sized nicely with good square bases and were exceptionally close in weight with no more than a + - of .3gr.

This is what I was hoping for...
normal.jpg
A nice group from the last session.

Here's what I got.
crap.jpg
These heavy slugs were cruising at 756.7 fps making 269.2 FPE but couldn't even make it 43 yards without going sideways.

Since I had the Woodsman out and the chrony set up, I decided to get some fresh numbers for some other slugs while I was at it. The gun was tuned a bit the last time it was in the shop on a rainy day and is running a good bit hotter than it was before as a .32. The Totem Pole 177.5gr slug made 784.1fps for 242.4 FPE, the Pepper Grinder 114.5gr made 897.5fps for 204.8 FPE, Cans at 114.8gr made 891.9fps for 202.8FPE and 96gr Bishops made 957.2fps for 195.4 FPE. That's pretty darn good.

After the Woodsman tests I set it aside and prepped the Prairie 3 and sized the big slugs down just a hair. I set the gun for high power and got almost the exact same fps out of the big 212 slug, 756.3. I was getting a bit of hammer bounce at this setting though so I backed it off a touch and got a nice crisp firing cycle. At the new adjustment the big slugs (211.7gr) went 740.6fps for 257.9 FPE. Pretty close to what the Woodsman was shooting them at but with one big difference, they stayed stable (at least to 43 yards).

6 212s.jpg
That's 6 212gr slugs in there. I wasn't set for my best work but that grouping is pretty good and the holes are not profiles! The Woodsman and the Prairie 3 have very similar barrels but they were made years apart. Despite being "sisters" they certainly have different tastes in slugs! I've also noticed that the Woodsman wants the Pepper Grinder slug loaded as a wad cutter while the Prairie wants it loaded round nose forward. This is a good lesson regarding to remember when an internet expert starts talking about how well a pellet or slug will shoot based on how it looks!

I went ahead and got some numbers for the other slugs with the Prairie. The Totem Pole 177.5gr slug made 764.6fps for 230.5 FPE, the Pepper Grinder 114.5gr made 850.3fps for 183.9 FPE, Cans at 114.8gr made 846.6fps for 182.7FPE and 96gr Bishops made 890.3fps for 169.0 FPE. Just one set of numbers for one of several useful settings.

I did manage to get a nice group of Bishops shot...
5 Bishops.jpg
5 went through there.

I also had to shoot a paint can. I just had to...

And this is why we use zoom... I'm not sure if AJ let the camera focus enough before hitting start but a good show nonetheless.

Remnants:
oops.jpg
in.jpg
out.jpg
through.jpg

Well, now the lengthwise shot has been done too...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2009 12:41AM by Jerry.
Re: More testing
November 08, 2009 11:25PM
Jerry, that bullet sure looks pretty! Amazing the difference in barrel preferences. Guess you'll have to stick to one of those misshapen creations the Woodsman likes so well. Just don't show anyone what you're shooting cause "those will never work"knucklehead so you might as well turn them all backwards.

Who woulda thunk that the can would launch back toward you? Are you filming this from Dallas? If you are that would clear up some 8mm footage I saw once...or twenty times.

What else are you planning to shoot with that big ol slug...or are you just testing the limits of 32 cal?

Kent
November 09, 2009 01:01AM
Hi Kent,

The camera was back almost 20 yards and I still got some paint splatter on the tripod! The camera made it through unscathed fortunately.

I've about run out of ideas for new things to shoot. I'd use the big slug on something but right now, it would be a replay of another shoot... I'm just messing around with the slugs. The Totem Pole works great, I just wanted to add a touch more lead and see what happens. I think the 212 is the limit, I can't load anything longer anyway!
November 09, 2009 02:41AM
Jerry, my reference was to JFK being overdone on the Zapruder (sp) films. knucklehead Please don't stop your original clips of airgun destruction!!!take a bow

I'm a one man show most days. Makes for very few "in the action" shots. I do need to get me a dedicated camera for the range/my pocket so I can get more posting material.

I love your slow mo camera. It's on my wish list for Christmas, we'll see!more innocent

Kent
November 09, 2009 08:05PM
I'm pullin' for ya on the Christmas camera Kent! thumbs up

Shucks ... I want one too. But ... I'm not sure I've been good enough ... scared haha.

They do make some fine video clips. Wonder if they have an even faster one by now. Gee - it's been a good six months already - they should be twice as fast by now! smileys with beer

Gary
November 09, 2009 03:28AM
Nice!

The majority of those look great. The big 212's and the Bishops look like solid performers.smileys with beer
November 09, 2009 03:39AM
Wow, that paint can really wanted to get a hold of you didn't it? Whoda thunk they'd be classified as "dangerous game"?!?

It sounds like you're running up on the limitations of the length of the loading port. I guess you could shoot a heavier slug if you muzzle loaded it, or maybe you could gin one that's shaped like a banana from super-soft lead. You'd just "curl" it into the breech like a plumbers snake, and it'll straighten out in the bore. winking smiley

Thanks for posting, I'm always interested in stuff about the Woodsman series.
November 09, 2009 03:00PM
Wow - it's Christmas in November! Another excellent thread!

Man - I ducked under the desk when that 3-D paint can came spinning at me! excited I was expecting the clip to end with a orange spray across the lens, and a quick blurrr going to black! haha.

You know ... we'll have to physically measure those two barrels for twist. There's obviously more to the difference than I recalled. Perhaps the twist is slightly different afterall. They were made years apart ... I could have misunderforemembered something.

Gary
November 09, 2009 03:03PM
Let's see - 2nd try - last attempt at a comment locked my computer!

Christmas in November! - another excellent post!!!

Gary
November 09, 2009 03:06PM
Well - that worked ... (but I didn't play the video the second time - that might be the issue).

We'll have to physically measure the twist in those two barrels. There's obviously something different there. I could have misunderforemembered something done years apart.

I expected that video to end with orange spray across the lens, and then a violent shake going to black! haha. Was almost under the desk for a moment there!! excited

Great post - thanks!

Hey folks ... isn't THIS BETTER!!! smileys with beer

Gary
November 09, 2009 10:19PM
Hi Gary, sorry I can't post a video without crashing your computer or the rest of the internet! The end of the video that you imagined was actually closer than it appears. The can went past the camera and tripod before coming to a rest. The tripod has speckles of paint with the base of one leg pretty well orange. I'm glad I moved the camera back 10 feet from my original placement. The can went directly through the original spot.

I'm glad I didn't have a second post about how to clean paint off a camera lens!

BTW, I got home after dark and could not shoot anything today, I'm bummed.... Now, where's my spotlight?
November 09, 2009 10:38PM
You mean you got home right after lunch? eye rolling smiley This time change and winter are depressing already. blah blah

However: fortunately, I do not have the energy I once had ... so; having fought this shot renovation project for a couple of weeks now ... by dark (or 5:30 pm) ... I'm about used up. Can't wait to get all warm and cozy in the completed shop ... and hole up for the winter. Let me know when the sun comes out in the Spring!

Gary
November 10, 2009 06:23AM
Interesting testing Jerry. I tried some long ribbed slugs in my .308 and this is what happened at 100 yards...these were the only two I managed to get to hit the target board, sideways like yours:

Not the slug for my gun, that's for sure!
Loved your paint can shot......whew, nearly gave your camera a paint jobexcited
Cheers
Neil
November 10, 2009 08:17PM
Hmmm, say Jerry, does that camera of yours have a threaded lens ring? It might be time for a polarizing filter if so. I suspect that most of the professionals out there stick one on the front of whichever camera they're taking to the field...just in case. It's a lot cheaper to replace a cracked filter than a lens, and if something gets accidentally resprayed you're not stuck finding out which solvent will remove enamel without removing your antireflection coating.
November 11, 2009 01:32AM
Now Neil, you know the boys will make just what you need. I can't understand why you would go elsewhere for slugs to test! rolling happy smiley It does pay to check things out doesn't it? I have at least 6 slugs that will shoot MOA or bettter out of the P3 and Woodsman but I still find it fun to mess around with "gutter" slugs and that other "gutter" slug I designed. If I can find some change in the sofa, I might have another slug mold made just to experiment some more! I find it a fun addition to the hobby. Sometimes I just get tired of putting one Bishop after another into the same hole... whistling

Rotor,
The Casio does not have a threaded ring to accept filters. This camera is some kind of cross between what looks at first to be an SLR and a pocket camera on steroids. The lens is one of those telescoping bits. The camera suits my simple purposes and has more functions than I can remember but it doesn't do any of them as well as a purpose built device. But then, my other cameras and the filter collections I assembled won't take video at all! I'll just have to be careful with angle and distance....
November 11, 2009 06:18PM
Now Jerry,

Let me just understand this ..... whistling

You are willing to PAY the maker of OTHER slug molds, to get a totally questionable mold - which has at least an 85% chance of being useless after you shoot your first group of slugs from it.

The molds which produce proven results, from me, are far to boring.

Is that about it? more confused

Story of my life .... eye rolling smiley

Gary
November 11, 2009 09:20PM
Yup, pinpoint accuracy just gets to be tedious after a while... LOL!
November 16, 2009 01:13AM
Man do those slugs look clean. Good shooting to Jerry. Glad to see you got the groups sorted out.

But what the heck is wrong with my computer (AGAIN!!!), i can't and haven't been able to see any of your newer videos. ARRRRGGGGH!!!

MICROSOFT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
November 16, 2009 07:56PM
Ced,

Are you having trouble with everything on PhotoBucket? I could email you the videos but it will take a bit to download them...
November 16, 2009 08:44PM
Jerry,

Yes, for some reason i am having problems viewing photobucket videos. You video has just been loading and loading and loading for a while now and i know it's not the video.

But yes, please email me a few of your new videos and i can read the post but i am so behind on your videos.

Plus i have some ammo questions for youwink
November 16, 2009 09:55PM
Hi Cedric,

Yeah - I don't know what they changed at Photobucket, but it screwed me up too. I can watch the clips, but then my computer would freeze. My CPU percentage would go up to 55 - 65%, and I couldn't do anything else with the computer until I control, alt, delete .... went in and demanded it stop Internet Explorer.

Probably some great improvement they've made. whistling

thumbs up

Gary
November 17, 2009 12:25AM
But You Tube was even worse, it messed up the site itself!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021