Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Guess who went shooting today?

Guess who went shooting today (vid)?
November 22, 2009 04:19AM
Yup, it was the Gary, Jim and Jerry show again. We had great weather considering it's November. The temperature was pleasant only getting a little chilly when the sun was pretty low and the wind was low. The sky was overcast most of the day but we didn't have to shoot into direct sunlight that way. A good day for shooting.

wagon.jpg
We had Gary's "War Wagon" out as usual. Here Jim is taking pictures while Gary shoots.

setup.jpg
I had a truck full of stuff, again, as usual. Today I was shooting from the table outside. The day was nice enough that no canopy was required. No need for snow boots or multiple propane and electric heaters either, not that that would have stopped us!

I brought the Woodsman with the .32 insert installed and the Maverick .25. We had targets set out from 50 to 124 yards. I sighted both my guns in at 50 yards and just held over for the longer shots.

peppergrinders.jpg
I was shooting with just a front rest and off a plastic table but I was pretty happy with the results. This was a 50 yard group of Pepper Grinders from the Woodsman. That was a good enough sight in to start shooting the long range critters.

group.jpg
group2.jpg
I was happy enough about this 50 yard group with the Maverick that I stopped at 3 shots and went out and documented it. Those 3 shots were #4, 5, and 6 off a 3000 psi fill. I had the gun adjusted pretty hot today as I wanted to shoot some of the long targets. At the current setting, I'm confident in 7 consistent shots off a single fill. I can dial it down and fill low and get 20+ shots with light slugs or ball but I didn't try that today. Maybe the next time out I'll go for the 20 shot group with ball. The really nice thing about the current setting was that I could use the mil dots to aim on at long range. Using the fourth dot down, I was hitting the steel critter in the eye at 102 yards.

Jim had the Delta .45 shooting like a laser today.
Gary Delta Bishops.jpg
I missed the picture of Jim's group where he blew the center out of the target at 50 yards but I got this shot of Gary's group.

draws down.jpg
Gary had the Apaloosa out and we spent a good bit of time trying to get the wrong scope mounts to work. On the plus side he got to shoot the other 3 guns too. Here he draws down with the Maverick. I had my table set-up to shoot the Woodsman off the regulator and the other tank set up to fill the Maverick. Sweet.

We can't go to the range and just shoot paper and steel of course. eye rolling smiley We need to make movies and shoot something special. It's a good thing we have an artist to craft targets for us!
final touches.jpg
Gary puts the finishing touches on one of two duct seal critters that were destined for a bad day.

ready.jpg
He's ready to play!

uhoh.jpg
Jim's critter ready to go. This is not going to end well...

I suppose ya'll want to know what happened to them cute little fellers eh? Enjoy:

look here.jpg
Gathering the clay pigeons might not have been a good idea!

ouch.jpg
It's just a flesh wound!

whoh.jpg
That had to hurt. The clay debris looks like a giant burn mark. The phaser must have been set on "kill!"

slug1.jpg
The slug was found during a routine autopsy. The cold duct seal actually stopped even the .45 Delta fired Bishop. In the summer, I'm sure we would have had a pass through. Lots of powdered clay carried into the seal.

shorty.jpg
This .45 Bishop started out a lot longer!

Dude.jpg
Dude! I think my shield is broken.

shorty2.jpg
Another slug that used to be a lot longer. It's surprising that this critter stayed planted on top of the swinging hammer target. He must have been pressed down pretty good as the video shows the whole target rocking and that slug sure gave up some energy...

Well, I hope you've enjoyed visiting with our shoot. Get out there and blast something!
November 22, 2009 04:52AM
Great to see you get out and do some shooting. I can't believe you were having scope issues, never seen that before.more innocent Looks like there are a few guns there that can join in the competition.

Now that gopher died the death of a thousand cuts and then gets shot, you must have a deep seated problem with rodents. eye popping smiley Problem is you made him out of the tough stuff. Don't under estimate the power of the hits. Those remind me of the 357 mag hits. Lots of power there! hot smiley

Everybody was shooting good groups, plastic table and all.shooter I'll have to wait on the video as my computer wouldn't open it. angry with "no" sign Maybe soon.

Kent
November 22, 2009 05:28AM
We had the Thanksgiving turkey shoot up here today, lots of fun. It's all shotgun at the trap range, something that the ...ahem..."experienced gentlemen" around here seem to do pretty well at. Mostly pump guns with a scattering of semi-autos and even a Perazzi or two, pretty nice guns out there considering the snowy weather. The winner of each round competed in the finals for the turkey coupons, with a kids shoot and a ladies shoot in their own categories. One of the jr. shooters was good enough that they made him shoot with the old guys, which may have been a mistake because he smoked a bunch of us!

The most fun is "cutthroat", with maybe twenty shooters lined up shoulder to shoulder at the beginning of the round. If you haven't shot that game before it's a hoot, very fast action and very competitive. You start on the far left, and each shooter calls a target. If he/she hits it, you move on to the next shooter. If a shooter misses his claybird, that's when it gets interesting! The guy to your immediate right gets a shot at the claybird after you miss, and if he hits it you're out. If you shoot early enough there might be two or three guys down the line take a shot at it. If the last guy out of the three hits it, then the original shooter AND all the subsequent misses at that particular claybird are out. Sometimes a guy will nail one WAY out there, just inches before it hits the ground, and three or four guys go out at once.

The key is figuring out ahead of time who's a better shot than you are, and then NOT standing just to their left on the firing line. It gets pretty ruthless towards the end when only a handfull of shooters are left, especially when the one that puts you out is still in Jr. High school!eye rolling smiley

It'd be fun to try something like that with a collection of Justice or a Woodsman. Air trap, so to speak.
November 22, 2009 12:48PM
Nice work . . . boy, you're quick. typing

Working on my pics now . . . got some good ones to share. thumbs up

-- Jim
November 22, 2009 01:27PM
Great pics Jerry.

Hey ... and my Photobucket issue is solved. Must have been me going into "Tools" then .... Internet options ....then Security .... then Trusted Sites .... then opening "Sites" and adding Photobucket. Works now. Yeah!!!!

The pics and movies are too good! hahaha. thumbs up

Gary
November 22, 2009 01:31PM
Yeah .... well .... maybe not ...

I hit post on that above .... and my computer seemed to freeze. Had to go to Control/Alt/Delete .... into Task Manager, and force Internet Explorer to cease. It had my CPU usage to 54% feverishly trying to do .... something.

I forced a quit. The CPU usage went down to 7% immediately. That killed REndezvous and I figured my post was lost. However; when I restarted Explorer and came back to REndezvous .... my comment was there. Simple. eye rolling smiley

Well worth it to see the movie! hahah.

Gary
November 26, 2009 06:23AM
Nice shooting there guys! Jerry those slo-mo video shots are impresive as usual...I love the clay pigeon shot on the critterlaughing again
Obviously a good time was had by allthumbs up
Regards

Neil
November 28, 2009 09:06PM
Thanks Neil. Yeah, those clay shields didn't help the critters much!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021