Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So what did you shoot today?

So what did you shoot today?
January 10, 2009 09:51PM
I shot a computer. Given the love/hate relationship many of us have with these devices, I thought you might enjoy some pictures.

First shots.jpg
The three holes across the top are from 545gr slugs. The lower shots are .32s. If you look close you can see a bunch of little pits from #5 shot fired from 40 yards.

That's a .62 slug going into the "info" window that used to tell me pointless stuff about the computer. I let this video a little longer because I was hoping you could see the smoke that trails out after impact. Maybe it's just dust but it looked more like smoke. It would "smoke" after I hit it with .32 shots as well.

That's the second shot into the front. I aimed for the center this time and darned if that isn't where the big smoothbore put the slug. It's not a good video because the recoil of the shot got transferred to the camera and got it to shaking.

2 62s.jpg
A little worse for wear.

groups.jpg
I decided to shoot a couple groups. 5 Bishops went into the hole in the middle and 3 Pepper Grinders went into the hole on the right. You can see where the first slugs shot tried to exit. These shots were all taken at very low power and the first slug would not penetrate the sheet steel. The second shot just ripped open the distressed steel.

I thought I'd see if the pointed Rook would penetrate any better.
rook impact.jpg
Nope.

Rook.jpg
Nice expansion though.

rook2.jpg
I like how the base of a slug that has hit something hard gets waves in the metal like it had boiled and frozen.

While shooting at the front of the computer I had shot the power button with a Bishop. I found the button on one of the trips to take pictures.
power button.jpg
Cool!

target.jpg
I can use that button again.

after.jpg
I didn't find the button, just some bullet tracks.

ouch.jpg
By now the computer is looking pretty ragged.

slug.jpg
And I'm finding some neat slug remains.

I hope you all had a chance to vent or vent something too!
Re: So what did you shoot today?
January 11, 2009 12:55AM
Are you SURE that's the old one Jerry? whistling

Trouble is, you shoot one computer ... you need to shoot another ... and another .... LOL!

Gary
January 11, 2009 01:53AM
To bad you cant shoot the Software that is causing all of the Frustration!!

Nice shooting Though..Bet it Runs Really Cool Now!

Rick
January 11, 2009 03:20AM
That one had hardware issues. Now it is issue free. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
January 11, 2009 02:40AM
Excellent video and pictures.
I didn't get to shoot today. But I have a laptop here that could use the exact same treatment!
January 11, 2009 02:42AM
Nice vids... shame about the 'puter. I did pretty much the same thing with an old frigde, years ago, only with a .22LR pistol, just to see if the bullet could punch through both sides of the fridge. Nope, but it did punch through the one side, and stop on the other side, on the inside of the fridge. Can't remember for sure, given age and time, but I think I did recover some bullets from that experiment... or at least fragments. Airgun or firearm, I've always had this facination for experimentation, using various targets, from friut to fridges, just to see what an individual weapon will do against both organic and inorganic targets. Even I've been tempted to drop a few rounds through my 'puter, in frustration, more than curiousity. Fun to watch your fun, thanks....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 11, 2009 04:31AM
Dang,

All I got to shoot today was a bunch of snow...out of the snowblower.
January 11, 2009 04:50AM
Jerry,

I have LITERALLY spent the entire day reloading mine TWICE!! angry smiley I got it all loaded and tweaked, deleted a seperate partition and it had the "NTLDR" file for the partition I had just rebuilt. I would take it out back and shoot but it's the only one I have now, someone got the laptop CHEAP!
January 11, 2009 06:24PM
Lon,
So sorry to hear of the all day project. I've done those and it just stinks! angry with "no" sign

Since I'm unable to do anything to the waste products that helped themselves to your laptop, and I'm no help with the current challenge...I went out and shot that computer again just to keep the faith. shooter It is turning out to be a lot more fun to shoot a computer than to use one!
January 12, 2009 07:32PM
Thought I'd comment on our color coating. That red slug which you commented upon (boiled lead) shows the coating's amazing ability to remain on the surface of the lead - even while the lead changes shape.

That's an amazing characteristic.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 02:22AM by barnespneumatic.
January 12, 2009 10:09PM
LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!!!
Apart from the very cool video footage(as alwaysexcited ) I think you have tapped into the psyche of us all in the destruction of that PC!!!
Next target should be a mobile phone, oops sorry, i mean cell phonewhistling
THAT I know would please us all a great deal.....
January 13, 2009 02:18AM
Call the prop department. I need a dummy sitting at a table holding a phone to his ear...idea
January 13, 2009 02:41AM
I was a bit curious about that red slug, myself... so, this is a coating applied by boiling the slugs in some concoction or other? I've always liked the copper-plated rimfire stuff, so I don't have to handle bare lead. You know, a coating to keep lead contamination at bay. Is this what the red coating does, along with being a possible lubricant? Sounds that way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 13, 2009 03:20AM
The red coating looks cool and provides a thin barrier between the lead and your fingers. It is not boiled on. We were commenting that the color stayed on despite the lead appearing to have boiled as it was deformed during impact.
January 14, 2009 05:02PM
Computers have feelings, too Jerry. Wouldnt it have been kinder of you to simply free the computer back to it's natural habitat when you were through with it rather than to destroy it?...

...haha... nice shooting and an interesting reactive target!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021