Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

JH457 "JUICES" a LEMON at 101 yrds (video)

JH457 "JUICES" a LEMON at 101 yrds (video)
June 26, 2010 05:30AM
Inevitably, i'm gonna get around to actually doing 100 yard groups with a few of my airguns. I've done enough 50-55 yard groups and i'm ready for the big leagues. But, i'm still waiting on the wind to stop blowing long enough for me to attempt the challenge. So in preparation, i wanted to see if my big bore (JH457) could hit something small at 100 yards. Its got no problems hitting things out to 200 yards but, those things are also GALLON sized jugs at about 12" tall. So my idea was to try something small but, that something had to have some sort of reaction when hit. As Jerry recently did a post about him hitting an apple at 100 yards with his 32, he inspired me to try it too but, it had to at least be an apple or smaller. But not too much smaller, no grapes or cherries....lol. So, as i looked through the refrigerator, my only 2 options were a nice LEMON and a small container of apple sauce. Each was about the same size as the other. And, they were just about the size of an apple, so, those were to be my victims.

After sighting in at 55 yards with my own cast 305 gr HP's, i was sure i was ready to SNIPE the lemon and apple sauce. So off i go to another area were the range is long and i would be more than able to reach out and touch that lemon. Usually me stride is right at 3.4 feet which is just over a yard but i brought along my Leupy rangefinder as i wanted to make sure the targets were at 100 yards. After walking 100 steps, i turned around and lasered the drivers side of my pick up truck. It was at 101 yrds but, i was shooting off the tailgate on the passengers side. And that puts the muzzle of my big bore right at the drivers side of the truck. 101 yards it is. I put down the wooden block of wood which was roughly 12" tall and put the lemon and apple sauce container on top of the block and made sure everything was squarely facing the truck. Now, it's time to shoot.

Lets begin:
[www.youtube.com]

Jerry, in the original video (i just can't help it) b4 i edited it, there was one part in there were i pick up the lemon and take note of the hit. After inspection, i said in the video, "Jerry, you are gonna have to become a cherry picker cause that is what your next target is gonna have to be to beat this...LOL". But i erased it out of the video.....BOY, AM I IN TROUBLE NOW...LOL
Re: JH457 "JUICES" a LEMON at 101 yrds (video)
June 26, 2010 03:58PM
laughing Nice video Ced! I like the 100 yard dash too! "Cherry picker" eh? I guess the small fruits are doomed! Nice shooting.

Next time Gary and I go out we'll have to do a grocery run first I guess. We probably need to hire a runner to service the targets too...
June 26, 2010 05:54PM
Hi Cedric,

Loved the run up to finish off the lemon ... hahah. Very sporting not to want it to suffer. heehhe.

When you said you were setting stuff on a block of wood, I immediately thought ... "if that were me ... first shot would hit the block and take down everything ... hahah". laughing again

Great video. Love the production. Great stuff.

Not sure about this 101 yard thing though. What do you think Jerry ... seems a bit ... "showy" ... don't you think? hahaha. "festive"

Gary
June 26, 2010 08:31PM
Might be a little "1 upsmanship." laughing
June 26, 2010 08:43PM
Darn on it, i was just typing a reply and my breaker blew............ARRRGGGGHHH! i just lost all that good stuff i was typing.

I'll be backwhat was that
June 26, 2010 09:00PM
Dude,

You need to type softer if you are blowing breakers!~ scholar

More coffee
June 26, 2010 09:16PM
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL, GB, should have known you would be the one to catch that....."101 yards". When i first lasered the truck and the RF said, "101 yards", i said, "i'm gonna leave the targets at 101 yrds, then mention it in the write up or video and see if any one catches it". LOL, and you did....lol lol

GB, those misses were my fault and i kept thinking about it after i finished shooting. I forgot that i sighted the gun in at 55 yards and not 50 yards. 50 is were i keep it dialed in. By doing that (50 yards), out of the 4 mil dots, the second lower dot is exactly 75 and the 4 lower dot is roughly 100 yards. So it was no wonder that the very 1st shot after the 55 yards sight in was just a tad high. Then after the 1st miss, i looked back at the video and adjusted my scope down 8 clicks (1/8" click adjustments) assuming i was only over the lemon by 1 inch. Needless to say, the 2nd shot plowed right into the top of the target/wood backer. So then i go up 4 clicks and BULLS EYE. I honestly should have done a couple sight in shots at 100 yards first. But hey, it all good.

Jerry, oh yeah, almost every time i go out on a shoot, i buy something to EXPLODE from the grocery store. Some of it makes it to video and most of it doesn't. I'll tell you though Jerry, the one fruit that has escaped me is believe it or not...THE WATERMELON. Every time i've bought one, i never seem to hit it squarely. And that just ticks me off cause i only buy one, and i mess up the video/shot by hitting it either far right or far left. But now i know i can do a good shot cause i've solved a long time MOLD/AMMO ISSUE. I should have brought out a melon during this shoot as my gun was sooo dialed in. Don't get me wrong, the gun is usually always accurate but now since i've found out a issue with my MOLD, side shots on fruit should not be a problem anymore.

OK JERRY, what's next bro. What should we try and shoot next? Please don't say, ASPIRIN tablets at 100 yrds...PLEASE!
June 26, 2010 10:45PM
I'm gonna have to practice on my brand new square colorful paper plates for awhile, then work my way up to fruit. haha. bowing

Man - I'd never waste a watermelon ... got one downstairs actually for supper. Yummmm. Just spray that gallon jug-o-water pink and glue on some seeds. heheh.

GAry
June 26, 2010 11:54PM
No aspirin! LOL I need those, how about blueberries?

I've shot watermelon before (I think there's a vid here somewhere) and I've shot oranges and apples but peaches and apricots have escaped the carnage. Those have pits in them and I wonder if that will make for a decent video....highspeed pit removal?

Or lemons at 150...
June 27, 2010 07:27AM
Ha, Tofaz, you've done the lemon, now do the pip!!shooter
Cheers
Neil
June 27, 2010 07:31AM
Neil, whats PIP?
June 27, 2010 02:52PM
That's the seeds Ced. It's British.

Gladys Knight and the Pips ... haha. Seedy bunch I guess. haha

Gary
June 27, 2010 07:25AM
Gary, come on man, i've seen pics of your groups. You can shoot for sure and with that super ammo you guys make, and those well made super accurate GB guns, it shouldn't be too hard. From all the 100 yard GROUP pics from you and Jerry, you guys are ace shots.

Jerry, hummmm, i like lemons at 150 yards. BLUEBERRIES HUH???, i don't think so..lol. Unless you mean, "TEXAS SIZED BLUEBERRIES" which are really plums.......lol. PHEW!

Pretty soon, we are gonna become the 200 yrd club..lol. I already see it coming into fruition.
June 27, 2010 02:55PM
Well ... I might try a raisin at 102 yards .... whistling

If i can find a big one ..... pushingarock

laughing

Gary
June 29, 2010 08:37AM
Tofaz, Gary got it, here in NZ we refer to the seeds in lemons and oranges as "pips". Now go shoot one, heheheskeet
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021