Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sure Fire .45 Devastator Blastin Video

Sure Fire .45 Devastator Blastin Video
January 31, 2009 03:20PM
Had a chance to get out and shoot and to test out some new Devastator .45 caliber 200 gr HP's made by SUREFIRE. The accuracy was pretty good even though my gun would prefer them in .454". But, at 50 yrds i managed to shoot a 1.5" group which shows how well made they are. I had no problem hitting water filled bottles and other various targets out to 60 yrds. These slugs would perform WELL on Deer and Pigs and Coyotes. All shots in the video were at 50 yrds. Thanx SUREFIRE. Jerry......I need more man....lol!!!

The BULLET:

The GUN:

The VIDEO:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2009 04:31PM by Jerry.
Re: Sure Fire .45 Devastator Blastin Video
January 31, 2009 04:36PM
Excellent post! The video wasn't playing so I stuck in the copy you sent me and it seems to be working now. Nice shooting!

For those that don't know the pictured gun started out as a .50 Career Dragonslayer. Cedric decided the gun needed to be improved and he turned it into a .45 with a little extra power. I'd say that the project turned out very well indeed.
January 31, 2009 05:10PM
Cedric,

Yes, the gun did turn out great. It has a multi-shot cylindrical clip right?

Very enjoyable video, thanks.shooter

Lon
January 31, 2009 11:08PM
nice job indeed , whats the glass on it , looks expensive.
thanks
tom
January 31, 2009 11:35PM
The scope is a SIMMONS 6x24x50mm will mildots. Was not expensive at all. Natchessz was giving them away.
February 01, 2009 12:51AM
SIMMONS! You've made Gary (president of the Simmons fan club) very happy! Of course, he probably thinks anything above a 4x22 shotgun scope is needless luxury...rolling happy smiley
February 01, 2009 02:29AM
Lon,
The DS is a single shot breech loader with a side lever that opens the breech and cocks the action. It does not have a magazine like the smaller caliber Careers. BTW, I've got one with a cracked stock that is just begging for some project work... I've got at least three full boxes of Hornady .495 ball waiting to get shot too...
February 01, 2009 03:29PM
Very nice...

BTW, got me very interested: what sort of muzzle is that .454?

One guy here used black powder gun's (muzzle loader's) muzzle in his home made big bore... Is that something similar, or did you make it yourself, Tofazfou?

I have several bores to my 909, but I just broke its valve somehow... now all air goes out of muzzle as I tried to put some air on it. I have to open whole thing soon..
February 01, 2009 06:10PM
Is the gun cocked when you're trying to fill it? It might just be the hammer spring holding the valve open.
February 02, 2009 03:31AM
Sepeteus,

The barrel IS a muzzle loading barrel from Track of the Wolf.com It is .454 caliber and a hair over 24" You can order the barrels by the inch. They do not come BLUED they are in the white (not blued or finished).
February 02, 2009 05:33PM
Hi Cedric,

Nice looking rig there. Looks like it works well!

Hey - also looks like Jerry and the Men are carving the slugs out off jade now ... eye popping smiley That's gotta cost ya!!! hehe.

Gary

Also ... Kuddos on the Simmons scope. They do a good job.
February 02, 2009 08:02PM
That's not just jade, that's the special HEAVY Jade we get from a secret source. The boys are getting so good with the chisels, I'm so proud! cooler
February 04, 2009 02:14AM
Gary,

Yeah, Jerry charges me about 5 bucks a slug......he he he. Also, i was telling alot of people about the SIMMONS cause NATCHESSZ had them for like 69.00 and no one was buying them. I have like 4 of them on different guns. They are gone now i believe. Everybody kept buying the BUSHNELL 4200's and spending 500+ dollars. All i could do is shake my head and laugh.
February 04, 2009 02:54PM
Cedric,

Yeah, it's been my experience that the bullet doesn't know what sort of scope it on top. grinning smiley

But, we can't take away the fun of all the guys that know better .... whistling

I get BUSTED every time I show a gun of mine. Was at hunting camp last week. A few guys gathered around and were stunned that an AIRgun could do such things. Wasn't a couple of minutes before someone busted me for having a Center/Point scope on it. After they'd just witnessed what it was doing with that scope on there. haha.

In fairness, I did have a lens flare issue come up on one varmint hunt. Looking directly into the sun at 3pm. Switching to my buddy's Pentax fitted rifle, it was clear. Not sure though if all factors were parallel. His might have gone down to a lower power setting. I notice that all of the name brands that offer more entry level models, all have very low magnification. The only Leupold I ever bought was hideous. It was the cheap series ... but still five times the price of what I've considered very worthy scopes. And, it was fit only to drive tent pegs in my opinion.

I know the expensive scopes are nice. I just don't have the $$$ to mount them on my guns. And the targets have said the bullets fly pretty straight with the cheap glass too. winking smiley

Gary
February 04, 2009 04:06PM
You can't argue with success can you? I've got pretty cheap glass on all my guns except the Prairie III and the Woodsman. The Woodsman came with a nice Bushnell from ...... Gary! That scope does a great job and has been used for a bunch of sub-moa groups. It is also nicely fitted to the gun with a custom scope mount and I can't see any reason to change it. I once planned on replacing it because I thought brighter glass would help with long range shooting but I rarely shoot over 100 yards and I now have the Prairie for that stuff anyhow.

When I got the Prairie I put a Leapers 8-32x56 scope on it and that worked OK until the scope was busted in transit when the gun case tipped over (that's why I have a serious case now). After a temporary installation of a 6-24, I bought a Hammers scope with a built in level and installed that. The scope seems pretty good for cheap glass when it is bright outside and the internal level and illumination is really neat. The problem with that scope is horrible flare/fogginess when shooting into a bright background (like we always have at the range). The problem is so bad that I even had it crop up at night. I went to shoot out the back door and set-up the huge flashlight to illuminate the target wall. The spill over light that was reflected from the deck was enough to flare the scope. Even foot long shades didn't help much so I had to get better glass. Well, I finally bought an expensive scope, I got a Nikko Sterling 10-50x60 Diamond Sportsman, their top of the line that set me back about $800 with shipping.

Wow. What a difference! At 10 power you'd swear the scope was brighter than just looking at the target. At 30 power the picture is still bright enough to use as the light fades and brighter than the bushnell at 18 power. Even at 40 power the scope is nice and clear, only at close to 50 power does the image quality appear to fall off from great. This scope doesn't flare like the cheap glass. You can get flare in really bad conditions like we get at the range but putting the shade on works great and it is not like aiming through a cup of milk anymore! Was it worth it? Depends I guess. I wouldn't be missing that many shots if I was using a replacement Leapers scope. But I don't get to go shooting at the range that often and having the afternoon shots all become an exercise in frustration was a serious downer. Having nice clear optics with crisp focus and sharp clicks in the turrets makes shooting a lot more fun and helps with accuracy too. I can see why folks swear by the good glass, there is a difference. It's usually not big enough to matter but sometimes it does.
February 04, 2009 05:21PM
I want a Nikko Sterling toooooooooo!!!!!! Whaaaaahhhhhhh ...... crying

Until I read your post, I didn't realize that my life totally ... sucked. sad smiley

Hey - I have a Hammers scope (never mounted) exactly like yours ... that SOMEONE suggested I might wish to purchase when THEY purchased theirs ..... Maybe after that review ... I can get 2 bucks for it in the classified here .... rolling happy smiley

Cedric ...

Yeah ... and THEN half of the hunts they show on TV show the guy missing the game ... often a few times!!! I remember one show where a guy was insiting upon using his pistol. He was up in a Texas shooting house. Huge deer around. I think he shot 5 times. Definitely 4. He even got down and looked around for blood in between shots at least once! TV DUDES!!! We've got 'yer shooters right here!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
February 04, 2009 04:21PM
Gary,

I agree. I have been taught that a good gun needs GOOD glass. But leupold and swarvoski are WAAAAAAY outta my price range. I watch a lot of hunting shows and it amazes me how many TV HUNTERS have 1500+ dollars glass on their 400 dollars powderburners. There is nothing wrong with High Dollars glass if you have the money to burn but, what makes an airgun unique is that it has no recoil and the target ranges are always within 100 yrds. So hince cheaper scopes effectiveness on airguns. Even a Center Point scope prints great groups on airguns at airgun ranges

Heard those Nikkos were great, congrats.
February 04, 2009 05:24PM
Hey Cedric,

You see where all that Jade bullet money is going! heheheh .... whistling
February 04, 2009 09:49PM
Oh, I don't believe the fact that I'm getting grief for going with good glass after trying cheap glass... TWICE! The cheap stuff just didn't perform in the shooting environment I'm in. Of course the cheap stuff worked as good as or much better than that rip-off Leopuld someone got stuck with!

There's a skill factor involved too. I might get close to Garys' groups at 50 yards using a 4 power Simmons but I wouldn't put any money on me winning a contest! At 100 yards it wouldn't even be close. I need the better glass!

Oh, the only other scope I have that isn't a budget scope is the one on the Woodsman. Who bought that?... whistling

BTW, the bullet money is not going into my glass or even guns at all. Chris just used his earnings to buy a new bass. It just got here today and he is downstairs jamming. He passes his thanks along to all the loyal customers that have allowed the better presentation of his musical skills!
February 04, 2009 11:09PM
Dude!

What happened to the boy's car fund? winking smiley

Gary
February 04, 2009 11:20PM
Yeah, PJ and CJ have split on the "fund" idea. PJ continues to save towards the car. This is not an outcome I did not anticipate...whistling
February 04, 2009 11:27PM
PJ can most likely learn yet ANOTHER business principle from this. He can eventually RENT transportation to his brother who is without a car. thread hijacked

laughing again
February 05, 2009 01:18PM
Good man . . . with the bass, he can get money AND girls (who have cars). smoking smiley

I think he's one step ahead of you Jerry.

-- Jim
February 05, 2009 02:34PM
Boy, talk about a hijacked thread! surrender thread hijacked

If I had a bass and some skills, I might have enough money to go visit Cedric and do some shooting! excited
February 05, 2009 09:45PM
Lol, back on thread, I use more expensive glass with big objective lens because I always shoot in low light( sun up and sun down) No two ways about it, I can see more light with the scope than with the naked eye. A decent scope sucks in light like you wouldn't believe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021