Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unintended soft boycott ... We Need You!

Unintended soft boycott ... We Need You!
July 15, 2011 04:45PM
Oh .... BTW ... after 21 reads, Dory tells us I should have warned you that this is a "Two Cup coffee Post". thumbs up

a_moon_clouds.jpg

This pic has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. It's just a neat pic I took after work last night. We grabbed a Burger King double cheeseburger off the value menu. Hey - this is a real best kept secret. $1.49 for a great double cheeseburger .. get it with extra pickles, and you will get a freshly made one. It's not one of the $8 gut buster three pound burgers ... but those are not for human consumption anyway. hahah.

After that, we dropped by the local post office to pick up our mail. The lobby is always open, and our mail is delivered to our post office box (the one waaaay down near the floor - so you ... ouch ... have to bend waaaay over to use the key eye rolling smiley ... even though we are one block from the post office. Well, we came out, got in the van and backed out ... then Kelly said ... Ohhhhhh ... look at the moon!!! The pic doesn't do it justice, but it's still striking.

OK ... the topic . I know it's unintended as a shun, but there are still soooo many of you who drop by to read, and just won't leave a comment. I know you are busy, and you are independent types. You shun crowds. You are not on Facebook - hate the very idea. If 99% of the population are going one way ... you will go the other. Everybody is getting into the lifeboats - you'd rather swim. Asking you to do anything, is like herding cats. YOU are my demographic. That's fine, I'm sort of like that too - I understand. But; let me drop a logic bomb here anyway. You already come read. I'm glad you enjoy the forum. The fact that I see your names grouped at the bottom of the page, tells me that you've already fit the forum into your busy time schedule. The topic has much to do with me, personally. I come to the forum, and check to see who's reading. I see about three names and seven "visitors" listed at the bottom of my page. I think ... Oh good - that new post will really relate to them, can't wait to see what they say about it. And, they don't say anything. Their names just go away. And, it happens day after day after day. Gets to where I just have to wonder if something is wrong. Maybe they are only checking to see if something is mentioned about their specific project. Maybe something I've said in the 4 thousand posts I've made, has irritated them. Heck - maybe this will be the post that irritates them. I just don't know. But ... the names come back tomorrow, and tomorrow after that. I know that just the fact that your name appears ... makes you sort of feel like you are being ... watched. scared But - no, you are still alone. Nobody is going to knock on your door. winking smiley

Why does it matter so much to me? Why don't I just "deal with it" and accept that that is the way it's going to be. I will post and post and post. I will try to keep the reader up to date with innovations and neat stuff. I will explain processes, and snap pics throughout the days. Then I'll post and explain them ... forever. And, people will come and read ... and that is all I can hope for. But, the forum could be soooooo much more, if those people would interact. If they would enter a discussion, or make my posted efforts into a discussion. I try my best to post so there is an opening for comment. So there's specific personal interest there for certain people. And, they just don't pick up the thread. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't enjoy reading, if more entered in, and richened the thread with thoughts and comments. I come here with a cup of coffee, and I ...... realize there's nothing new here. More sad But, I've taken a break, I've poured a cup of coffee, and .... so I sit and re-read my own threads. I try to develop them, maybe add some new pics. It's really quite pathetic, and I fear Dr. Phil is going to hear about it, and devote a program to me. But, I'm trying to keep the forum fresh and interesting.

Some might be thinking ... then .... why don't you just give up and forget the forum concept. There's very little in it for you, except for work and aggrivation. Most of that is true. However; I can't machine 24/7. I get tired. I need breaks. I come and sit with a cup of coffee. And I try to make Barnes Pneumatic more interesting than the typical business format. I try to add an interaction portal, where I - the artist who's actually making these items - can be contacted, questioned, and people can get to know the craftsman. Does anybody doubt; that myself and my work, would make an episode on one of those shows where some blacksmith is making iron gates. Or; the show with some craftsman, who's presented as a unique asset to the rich tapestry of America ... because he's making the most interesting chainsaw carvings which are incorporated into log homes in Montana. Can you contact those people? Have a discussion with them? Perhaps by e-mail. I often think that I've cheapened the experience by making myself soooooo very acessible. I've taken the mystery out of it. And so; there's nothing special about it at all. It's commonplace. Sort of like the cell phone. All you really have there, is a network of global satellites which process and deliver 24/7 digital signals at the speed of light. eye rolling smiley Everybody has one ... what's so special? whistling But then, being "accessible", has been my model since the start of my airgun business. To change that now, would be a shock to everyone's system, and provoke a "stampede" to make sure I haven't died to skip out on ya. USA!  USA! So; I'm sort of a hostage to my own creation. And, folks know that. And, therefore; they don't have to participate.

I thought I'd just try one more time. I've spent a lot of forced time in the house lately. I've worked as hard as I could, and still stand up. But, I've still hit the wall many times. I've come in and sat down at the computer. And, I've tried to initiate conversation and discussion. I get a few comments ... and then ... "I've read that ... what else do you have?"

Please participate in "your" forum. I know all this stuff. It's me. It's my work. If I didn't understand it, I couldn't do the work. We're interested in what "you" have done with the Barnes Pneumatic products. We're interested in what you have learned, as a consumer and user, about using the products. I'm making myself available in order to make your airgunning experience more interesting. It's exhausting to have to pull a new rabbit out of my hat each day. I'd like to "pet the rabbit" a bit more, before we toss it aside and require a new rabbit. If someone reviewed the model we have here, they'd have to say that Gary makes a post ... and two or three people respond to Gary. There's almost no interaction between forum members. It's shocking when I read one member talking to, or asking a question of another forum member. Equally shocking when a forum member starts a new thread. New threads from readers, and interaction among readers, is what it "should" be. That's discussion. That's interaction. I should be able to enjoy participating in threads.

I have to have something "live" as company in the shop. Recorded music or a repeated program just doesn't give that feeling of "real/current" that I seem to seek as background, while I work. Well, there's a radio talk host who claims that, "Once I've said something ... there's nothing else to say about it." I'm not quite that pompous. However; that's how the forum has developed. And, I don't like that.

Thanks for reading. I worked too hard yesterday. But, I knew that. So; I'm really paying for it today. I feel like I have a knife in my leg. Actually, I wish I did ... 'cause they could easily fix that. That would be a "broken speaker wire". You reconnect it. My problem is like tossing a handful of iron filings onto the mother board of your computer. Sort of messes with the connections - the nerves. And so; I'm trying to get mobile today. Haven't yet. However; all of that bluing is done now. I've been working toward that for months. There wasn't any ballons or popping corks last night. Nothing but pills and coffee this morning. And so, I stopped by the forum. And ... again ......... there was not one comment here to read. So; I thought I'd have this discussion with you. You came and read this - so you are here. I wish you'd also consider participation in making the threads far more than just Gary's opinion on each topic.

Thanks,
Gary

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2011 11:54PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Unintended soft boycott ... We Need You!
July 15, 2011 10:50PM
You should warn us when you have a 2 cup post.

Had to make another cup of tea just to finish it.

When I was reading the 3rd paragraph. it reminded me of a quote in Mondays paper.

"Before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience". Harper Lee

It's peach and blackberry season here, my 2 favorite cobblers. Dory
July 15, 2011 11:51PM
Dory ..... you're killin' me ... Cobbler!!!!!! singing I might have to reconsider that "road trip" thingie .... hahahaha.

Excellent. I'll have to make note of the two cup issue. ;?)

Gary
July 16, 2011 01:38AM
MmmmmI cobbler!
July 16, 2011 01:43AM
Nice try Jerry .... he's coming HERE with the cobbler ... coffee
July 16, 2011 01:45AM
Gary:

I'm probably as guilty as anyone as I read way more than I post. And you're right...I shun Facebook too. winking smiley In my defense I must say that I detest "me too " posts so if I don't have something original to add ...I just don't post anything.

Karl
July 16, 2011 04:36PM
Hello Karl,

Thanks for the note. You stirred some thoughts. They aren't all responding to you Karl. But you struck a nerve ... lead to a few thoughts.

There is evidently a lot of people who detest "me too" posts. I guess the real bottom line is ... we're done here. "I shot my gun and enjoyed it". Nobody wants to post "me too". Once we've covered an issue ... it's done. I don't know how to deal with it, and keep the forum going. Actually, I don't think all the readers really care if it keeps going. When they are ready, they'll contact me privately. It's my duty to be there, when they are ready. I think the whole "friend thing" wears on them.

I tell everyone how important it is to me to have some help to make the forum survive. To give me some feedback. To give me some moral support from friends who are intested in the same things I am. That's a request, from one friend to another, that doesn't cost a dime. Takes 30 seconds to post, "Enjoyed that Gary". I'm not a stupid fella; but it's absolutely beyond my ability to comprehend the logic that is offended by my request. I've tried, from day one, to have a business format that makes the guns something more than just a catalog item. I've made myself available, so people can get to know me. They get an artifact from someone they learned to know. I've beat my head on the wall to make successful events that people can come to, to see the guns in action. To try them out. To meet me. And, mostly ... it seems too much to ask. One guy sent me an angry note once ... said "He didn't want to PLAY FRIENDS!" Another sent a long angry e-mail. I'd thought we were friends. But he was totally fed up with my requests for people to participate. I guess, for many; I need to learn my place, make the stuff they want, and just shut up, and let them alone. I'm glad I don't know, for sure, the ones that feel that way. It would make it pretty hard to put the effort I put into my work, for them.

Some realize, like you Karl, that this is more than just my job. I never "go home". If I'm awake, I'm on duty. What I get paid for the airguns, is pretty slim for what I put into them. Even just for the hours. But, for the quality and total package ... it's slim. Shouldn't be hard to figure out, that I'm not getting wealthy doing this. There isn't all the corporate structures that provide the retirement, medical, and the ability to rise to the "corner office" on the upper floors. What makes it worthwhile for me, is experiencing where the product goes, how it's enjoyed. Most must feel it's none of my darned business. The check cleared ... goodbye! I'm always amazed, but I could not tell you what became of 80% of my guns. They were all of the same quality. I put the same degree of work into all of them. But, I couldn't tell you if most of them ever fired a shot after they left here. It's that, "leave me alone / none of your busines" thing, that always feels like a snub (can't lay my finger on why ... hahaha.)

Oh ... Boo Hoo a_whaaaaa.jpg Look at the tiny Airgunsmith .... has his itsy bittsy feelings hurt. When we all know he has no right to the senses which we all have. Get crackin' Back to work slacker! cooler

Karl, I've really enjoyed sharing conversations and some good food with you at the various events you have attended. You couldn't keep up with me at the shrimp table ... had to go sit down, I recall. hahaha. I know it's an effort for you to schedule in the events. I'm glad you have enjoyed them, and your rifle too. You've added some fine memories to my experiences at the shoots. smileys with beer

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2011 04:48PM by barnespneumatic.
July 16, 2011 07:20PM
Here ya go. I'll hide it over here.

Asking for participation always shuts down the entire forum. I forgot my manners.

Green bowing
July 16, 2011 07:52PM
I'm still here Gary! Now and then, not as often as I used to but hopefully as the distraction of shattering shakes reduces I'll start to get things back to normal and actually do some shooting and sharing. I do understand your frustration, of posting in a vacuum, and I guess it's down to all of us "selfish" guys who love to sneak a peek but don't have a lot to say, to at least say something so that you get some feedback and your efforts are rewarded.
Cheers
Neil
July 16, 2011 08:41PM
Hi Neil,

Well, I'm sure it's easy to read in "selfish". I'm sure everybody is duely wounded if they do. And, they're successful people who have built their businesses, and my request that they help while I try to make mine more interesting and successful, just doesn't work. That's for me to do. Here's the problem. My demographic is people just exactly like them. Everybody is assuming that there is some lower level infrastructure in place, to endlessly generate the materials to produce those points of interest, that they drop in to sneek a peek at. There isn't. It's more people just like them, who are not inclined to participate in any group.

And so, it's totally up to me. If I don't provide this endless buffet of my activities ... people think I have died, or have ducked out on them. I get mails saying that they have not heard from me in 3 months. Or six months. It's clearly expected that I give regular reports. And then, I'm expected to cherry pick the last six months, and assemble a private briefing. If I give an endless running briefing, as I have with this site and forum ... then people are offended that I should "expect" that they should come read some materials assembled for the general public. And, God forbid ... join in. excited

It's pretty clear that I can't win the struggle. I don't think that more than a few realize that I am one heck of a craftsman, but I don't have a fully funded public relations department. I don't have an IT department. I don't have a materials management and shipping department. I ask for the smallest bit of public and/or user feedback, as generation of materials to weave into this media, and it's too much. Annoys everyone. Usually shuts down the forum. NEVER promotes any growth in the forum. The current model is comfortable for those who drop in to read. Endless expectation of me, with no chance that it will ever develop a core group to carry it. Splendid.

Just following the thread Neil. You are one of the most prolific contributors. No Barnes gun, and half a world away! Thanks for your contributions.

Gary
July 20, 2011 05:17PM
Gary,

I haven't been shooting much lately, or even checked the forum much. For better or worse, business has been booming.
Your request has been heard. I also don't usually chime in with "Me too". But, I will try to be more vocal.

Scott
July 20, 2011 06:21PM
Hello Scott,

Thanks buddy.

Wonderful to hear business is booming for you. I'm sincerely glad. I have to say that I'm OK too, so long as I can work and make things. I'm grateful for the ability to somewhat choose my intended path.

There's so much potential out there. Some people's business (and thus their lives) are dependant upon structures they don't control. I'm not talking about me. I'm talking about the folks working for corporations which have been so ground down with regulations that they've downsized. Or service industry people who have seen their customers disappear.

The forum can be a relaxing place for people of many walks, to find some interesting topics. I'm not trying to get us all around a campfire singing songs. I'd just appreciate help in adding to the topics. Recognizing that something posted has been of interest. There's a number of folks who "used to post" and they have mostly expressed a "what's the use" result. They've cut waaaaaaay back, or disappeared. This isn't the only forum. They got tired and left after maybe 150 comments. I've posted over 4,000. I get tired too. Any help or acknoledgement is appreciated. ;?)

Green bowing

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 37
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021