Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Oil Prices & Rifles built for a Sheikh

Oil Prices & Rifles built for a Sheikh
January 31, 2013 04:59PM
Hello All,

I came across this a few days ago.

What is kind of annoying is that these Sheikhs and princes spend millions, if not billions, while 70+ percent of their population struggles to make a living. Dubia is building such exotic buildings, hotels, yet none of us could ever afford it, let alone their own people. $820,000 would help a lot of people in a country where the average monthly wage is $75 USD. Any way, the rich will always be and the poor likewise.

There is a small country in the middle-east that actually distributes monies to every person in the country (think it was Qatar), was on a documentary on tv. Each family gets an income annually.

I guess with all their toys that they have no trouble buying, oil prices must be a bit to high!

[www.luxist.com]

"Swedish gun and rifle maker VO Vapen, founded in 1977 by master gunsmith Viggo Olsson, fashions the world's most exclusive handmade hunting rifles. Their newest creation, the VO Falcon Edition (above), is the world's most expensive priced at about $820,000. The VO Falcon Edition is a tribute to the deep rooted traditions of falconry in the Arabian world, covered by beautiful engravings of Peregrine and Saker falcons among other luxurious finishes."

No doubt this Mr. Olsson has some developed skills!
EDITED: Gary pointed out below that these rifles aren't done entirely by OV. Parts are brought in and assembled, etc.

rifle1.jpg

rifle2.jpg

See more pics [www.vovapen.com]

If only I knew a Sheikh to fund my projects smiling smiley sigh....

Pedro

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2013 05:32PM by pedrog.
February 01, 2013 04:17AM
Hello Pedro,
I wondered to what extent this company "made" their masterpieces. I didn't go too far on their site before I read these two paragraphs.

Copy:

When the roughly machine cut metal parts arrive, Mr Master Gunsmith Viggo Olsson and his son Gunsmith Ulf Olsson start the precise filing and polishing all by hand. This to make sure that the rifles gets the absolutely best accuracy and finish.

The same attention is paid to the barrels. When our own designed barrels arrive to our workshop, the search for excellence starts.The barrel profile may be round, floated or octagon. They never leave the hands of Mr Master Gunsmith Viggo Olsson before he is totally satisfied.
February 01, 2013 05:07PM
Hi Gary,

I reread the pages again. I did catch it, but I guess fell into the "handmade" trap that is common. You would think that they could afford to build their own parts with what they charge. But I think most of it is "gravy" for the company as the Sheikh's are paying.

In the one youtube video "Tales of the Gun" think it was million dollar guns, the one engraver said he charges $20k - $25,000 per pistol he engraves and it takes a few weeks! So I can see the cost being high for a rifle!

Further reading - seems like all the master gunsmith does is hmm, file, fit and woodwork. Engraving is left to others employed by VO for the fine art stuff.

So in conclusion, you build from scratch, if we go by handmade percentage, your rifles are worth $2,000,000+ each since you provide the entire package. Just need to get the Sheikh's into airguns to bank role the project. lol

Have a great weekend!

Pedro
February 05, 2013 10:41PM
I don't know where to start. I suspect that if price suddenly matches value, Kent could provide for the next 5 generations of his family and I could do maybe 2! Sadly, Gary will have to finish the ledger and then build one more gun...ever! (Kent and I are watching the timing, generations are on the line! LOL)
February 07, 2013 03:26AM
I was worried that I might have missed something that was truely unique, but alas it was only redressed factory guns. Then I saw who they were meant to impress. Here's the test firing of another custom rifle, in Qatar, I think? excited

[youtu.be]

I agree with your assesment Jerry. My one off, hand crafted, heirloom Barnes' should be worth several generations of enjoyment. I can't imagine puting a dollar value to these guns.

I wonder what the government will give us when they come to confiscate them. Yes, they will take these along with every thing else exceeding 7 ft/lbs.

Please call your Senators to fight the evil gun grabbers. Universal background checks=Universal registration yields = gun confiscation = tyranny=mass killings. The Reaper Doubt me? Doubt history.

[jpfo.org]

What can you do? Get the Gran pa Jack series combo. I bought the 10 ea bulk pack to leave in my office for visitors to read and get the real facts. [jpfo.org]

Kent
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021