Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thursday Afternoon

Thursday Afternoon
July 06, 2017 11:02PM
Working on an Inlaid, Carved Damascus 97.

Here's some of my thoughts as I do so. I would love to document and show it's build. But, that takes time. Time I don't have. Time I "really" don't have. I'm sure you've noticed those emojis of the little guys shouting thru megaphones.

I guess if all the things I've been making, documenting, and offering; haven't found a home, there's not a lot of chance this will be liked enough. Every Craftsman I've ever known has wanted to make the best stuff they could. Story I've gotten though is "can't afford", make something simplier, and simplier, and simplier.

I've been pricing stuff to the bone, AND offering payments. I think the last five SPECIALS just laid there. Bummer. And, the last maybe six special private offers found "not a good time", if they were answered at all.

How am I feeling these days? Fine.

You remember my plan was to work myself to death making enough product to pay the bills, so I can fit in Ledger Items here and there. Make those extra items for the Beach Gulf Gift Shop to generate some income, make some Copper Cuffs and Coins and Pocket Cases to generate income for the bills in order to spend time on the Ledger. And, offer all of my stuff on that great E-Commerce Website, to generate income so I can get to the ledger stuff. And, I'd like to thank you for PMing me about progress. I am doing well on the first part! Part about working myself to death. I'm sure the rest is right around the corner.

This knife, and others will go with a Knife Dealer I've met. See how they are received at an upcoming show. Won't be many Master Bladesmiths with over 40 year knife careers there.

Gotta tell you, I thought I was recognizing that my work had never been better. And, it sure as Sam Hill has never been cheaper. But, I gotta say the order of events has done a pretty thorough Slap Down on that idea. And I did see an Craftsman from India offering handmade folders for $35 Monday. See, my stuff is just overpriced. That's the problem. And it was 2-3 times overpriced in the 80-90's. I'm ashamed...

I've been told I should be (should have been) doing this on utube. I'd be a Movie Star! Yep. Poor planning. But we do have lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of people reading here.

So; that's where I've been. Right here. Break time is over. Dinner at 9.

Bye,
Gary
Re: Thursday Afternoon
July 07, 2017 04:03AM
Gary,

I feel for you! 40 years of making all the things you have and now hard to sell the items. You would think with a population of 400 million the USA market alone would keep you busy! Things have changed a lot in last 10 years. People want it now, cheap and has to look good. If it lasts a year or two, no big deal they buy another cause it's "cheap".

I have bought 3 mititoyo calipers in my 25 years around machining. One when I was 18 and still use it. The other when I was about 22. Back then cheap knock-offs didn't exist. Now I see some 6" calipers on sale for $19.95 and they are reasonably accurate.

I guess what I am trying to say is the world has changed but there are still people out there looking for quality items. I really hope more of these people find your articles for sale and peaks their interest.

Will keep you in my thoughts & prayers! I know we all have followed your struggles these last few years and would all like to see answers to our many prayers for you!

God bless,

Pedro
Re: Thursday Afternoon
July 07, 2017 08:38AM
Gary
Ditto to what Pedro said but also ....
just because your a great craftsmen and your wares don't sell immediately doesn't mean people don't like OR WANT it .
Also being the best craftsman I know doesn't mean your the best salesman I know . Those are 2 separate jobs that each involve a dedicated position. Sometimes SALES even more .

I know you know this but when you have to be a one man / one woman show something will suffer !
If I compare what I do to what you do , I spend a lot of time just putting out fires . You just have a little fire you have to put out now and before long shipping will be the problem . After that you'll be back to wishing you had three little Gary's around to help you fabricate .

Ps: I have always admired someone who can work from home and make a living at it. 40 years is a long time to be doing it right . With all the new processes you have in place you'll be back on the ledger work before you know it .

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2017 08:55AM by kurt wag.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021