Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HOLD Blue Light Special FINISHED PICS wow bullhorn Channel Folder ..... FOR SALE this weekend. bullhorn

HOLD Blue Light Special FINISHED PICS wow bullhorn Channel Folder ..... FOR SALE this weekend. bullhorn
May 05, 2018 11:09PM
IMG_1242.JPG

You just take your fifty thousandths Stainless Steel, and you fold it over like this ....

Then you make a blade.

And a spring.

You put both in the channel .... and there you are. Channel folder. 100% Stainless Steel.

I used to make these. I haven't since here at BPS.

I'm working on things like this along with the projects I've shown.

Gary

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2018 05:00PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Channel Folder ..... FOR SALE this weekend. bullhorn
May 06, 2018 09:06PM
Going well.

Estimate two hours.

IMG_1245.JPG

Entire knife less than 1/4" thick. Yet normal 1/8" blade. Quite strong.

And, quite a good price. Which, I always fight with. You guys don't help. The normal response to a new knife is 60 views and not one comment. So; does it cost too much? Do you hate the design? Hate the handle? Hate knives? Hate me? I never know. So; when I try to design a product which will pay a bill or two, and get me into a Ledger Project ... it has to be worth something. When I make an entire custom knife and it buys a few groceries, and puts gas in the car ... and buys me a bag of apples for the shop .... that doesn't really buy me several weeks of airgun time.

I keep sorting thru the things I've made and sold, in my mind ... looking for that hot winner. Thing is, they are all gone ... but often the second or third took a lot longer to sell. Trends are difficult to identify - especially from silence. Your ecstatic response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Gary
Re: wow bullhorn Channel Folder ..... FOR SALE this weekend. bullhorn
May 06, 2018 11:47PM
Gary, Looks great so far! It looks deceptively simple and elegant. Let's see what develops.

Kent
May 07, 2018 04:34AM
Sorry, it was about 10:15 pm Sunday night when I got it this far. Must sharpen.

$295us. Plus $16 to INSURE AND USPS

Please drop your marker here .... Thanks very much!

Gary
IMG_1260.JPG
IMG_1261.JPG
IMG_1262.JPG
IMG_1263.JPG
IMG_1264.JPG
IMG_1265.JPG
IMG_1266.JPG
IMG_1267.JPG
May 08, 2018 01:22AM
Comments?

Is this a product you see any market for?

It could have scales. I've made them with many extra features. Piercings. Overlays. However; all additional features require time to complete. Scales make the knife thicker.

This knife was made to Illustrate, and to offer; an ultra-slim solid pocketknife which would last a lifetime or several. The reason you make it is clearly to place it with someone. However; I'm unaware of reactions unless they are shared. And I appreciate them.

The world is totally and completely different then it was up until even ten years ago. For the previous several thousand years, "Skilled Artisan" was something you didn't grow out of. The respect you earned followed you to the grave. Interest points today are vastly different. We see it even here. I have very good friends here both in Kurt and in Pedro. They are both extremely skilled in the fields of CNC and Pedro is quite skilled with 3D printing. Notice what takes place here. Literally, I use over four decades of handcrafted skills. Remember, I don't lie. Therefore; I'm being straight with you in that I'm trying to illustrate what's happening "out there", as I type. I will make a 100% handmade artifact. Let's talk pocketknives for illustration. I take a series of pics of a finished piece. Post them with commentary. After 60-75 views, the thread will still show (1) comment. It's mine. Posting counts as a comment. Now, this is a site featuring about a ten year segment of handmade work, so you'd think readers would be pretty tuned in. However; comments are a bit thin. BUT; if we have a thread posted on a CNC or 3D printed object, the thread will take off and be viable for two weeks or more.

I don't have any CNC equipment. No lasers. No water jets. I don't Print. Closest I come is my Die and Coining process (which I ask you to tell me the number of people that you know who can do that - talking hand carving a negative mirror image into hardened tool steel now, and then strike/press a copy). Not begging votes here - just talking. I find it mostly gets a polite "Huhhh, neat." Where, I'd think it would get a much higher level of "Gee Whizzz!!!" I do business with my Cuff, Coin, Jewelry, etc, but .... man, if I could just program a laser to burn a design a few microns deep ... now THAT is where the cool is.

And so; I'm pretty amazed .... while I sit here braiding buggy whips, someone who logs time on their workplace Company's Laser, or 3D tool booth (nobody owns such tools), or if they can email the CAD/CAM to a specialty jobber shop, and get said box of parts back thru FEDEX..... that's the fascinating ticket now. One is the hot story today. One only took a lifetime to master. And, from my study ... few even care where the box of parts arrives from, or what team does the final assembly. I can see TVs being made obscurely, but when it comes to collectibles? Or, for certain generations, I wonder if they still have a word for "Collectibles." Now, I kinda wonder though, what happened to the rest of my generation and the 10-20 year younger.

Comments?

Thanks,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2018 04:55AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: FINISHED PICS wow bullhorn Channel Folder ..... FOR SALE this weekend. bullhorn
May 08, 2018 05:40AM
You sell buggy whips, I have been looking for a source (LOL). The knife is very nice and I would order it but saving money for the Jules Verne.

OK, as a craftsman you are great, the Jules Verne, the Southwest motif, and others show many of your talents. Some of the talents the knife buyers have forgotten when you moved to airguns. As a MS in your heyday you had a great reputation, then you moved from the scene, and the memory of you dimmed in the collectors world (in my opinion).

The airgun world was amazed and now it is still interested in your work BUT, even that is fading as there are options out there for high power big bores, as a user. The artistry in those airguns is not there but many want fast delivery and power and don't care that someone else has a similar or same airgun..The collectors still look for your units as they are near (or are) unique. (which may be an issue in the farther future for parts).

I don't know about the coins, cuffs, earrings, etc. but am glad that you were able to work with the turtle people, hopefully it is a steady market. Unless you start attending the trade shows (water sports, conservation, knife shows, airgun shows, etc you have limited exposure. Maybe more YouTube videos, or appearing on "Forged in Fire" (making a high quality inlayed folder in 4 hrs from used safteypins, fishhooks, and lawnmower blades (LOL again) will you get the exposure for the knifes. I am amazed (bewildered?) that some knife makers turn out the same knife (maybe made from a railroad spike or old file) time after time for $300-$500 or so and your knifes are much more intricate and in the same price range. And far more skillfully and artistically made.

Many years ago I found out about you when I was looking for a big bore, I got on the list eventually and started hearing (reading ) about your knifes and started a slowly growing collection. Some from you and earlier ones from ebay, knife sites, shows etc. A couple of "he is still alive?" as you dropped off the scene.

The move to FL seems to have helped you physically (no snow) and are in an area where knifes, airguns noise etc. are liked, appreciated and not frowned upon. (I live in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia where many of these items are disliked) but it took you out of circulation for a while and the work of getting your shop up was interesting to read about for me, but other's may have wondered where there gun was.

You often comment about keeping the lights on and making knifes, cuffs, coins etc. We all (or most of us) understand that you are a one man band and do everything, items are unique, BUT some people want them NOW. They don't realize the time needed for some of this work. The engraving of your logo takes time and artistry, a quick stamp of BARNES FL identifies the knife but it is not the same ad the craftsman's signature (your stylish B and knife). Artistry takes time and the right people to appreciate it. You are a very small specialty market, and your appeal is to a very small audience that is willing to wait for a craftsman's product.

I enjoy reading the BLOG and seeing the products you make and wish I could buy additional items (waiting for pictures of the Jules Verne) but we are all limited. Keep up the great work and know that there are people out there that enjoy reading about, seeing, and commenting on your work. Understand that not ever one likes (wants to own) some of your side projects, they still appreciate the artistry and craftsmanship that goes into them.

Gary L
Re: FINISHED PICS wow bullhorn Channel Folder ..... FOR SALE this weekend. bullhorn
May 08, 2018 03:27PM
Hi Gary,

Thank you so much, my friend. That's the kind of interaction that is useful. You are right about so much of that. It's the view from the world, looking at Gary. Gosh ... is he STILL alive??? Ha. I had soooo many thoughts while reading. I'd like to share a few. Hey! I heard that groan in the back. There are donuts in the lobby. Help yourself. I'll be done here soon ....

The factor of "Not being where people WANT to look for me." You see the difference right away? In your fine note, I disappeared at least twice. And yet, I've always been in plain sight. Just not where people want me to be. "We look for people over here." "You weren't there." Now, why is that? I'll abbreviate some stuff. Nobody wants to read the whole story again. Here's the thumbnail. Give me just this line of facts. It's critical to the story. I'll scrunch it up: Degenerative disc disease, Chronic Pain, Chronic Migraines, Fibromyalgia....... "How come you don't go to the Shows anymore? You disappeared." You see the "thing" there? My health was robbed from me ... but that's not real to people. "How come you don't pack up and go thru the traffic, shuttles, airplanes, rental car, hotel, show crowds, lounge gatherings, group dinners, pack up, reverse, reverse, reverse, home?" You know that's where the people are, right? You weren't there. Now, if my readers weren't so familiar with me ... and if my work didn't look so nice .... then people would love to read that "feel good story" about a man that didn't give up. Faced with endless pain, he kept striving to meet his obligations. I'd suggest Sam Elliot or Mike Rowe to play the part if Gary. Instead, you see that I disappoint when I'm recalled as if it were 1989.

Gary, I'm discussing the very real points, not to contradict your well written note. But to add the parts that are happening on this side of the glass. I can't plan the horrible back pain flare ups. Or plan the migraines. Can't plan the times that I just can't push they the chronic pain. But, I do here the "Where have you been?" "And is he alive?" lines quite a bit. And, it can only be because I don't have a proper petigre of poor health. Something that satisfies people. For some reason, I just seem to appear to be "whining or just unable to man up." Nothing respectable enough to portray that I can't place myself in a position where at least three unmanageable crippling ailments may strike me at 30,000 feet, on a shuttle, standing behind a show table, etc. But; I've never been out of view or out of touch. From the time I had to stop shows, I've had an internet web site. Several. And I've always been able to be reached. Still, I haven't been standing in front of people, where they wanted to look for me.

Another major thought strikes me often. People find me/my work interesting. But not interesting enough to be "my work." Meaning, when it's all over .... let's lay out Gary's Work. We'll do a Big Gallery showing. It will show some great Classic Rustic furniture. Classic Style Formal Furniture. Carved wooden Signs. Wind driven toys. Oil Paintings. Jewelry. Carved Glass. Knives. Pocket Knives. Damascus knives of all sorts. Air pistols. Air rifles. Coins. Metal Sculpture. Metal and Wood Furniture. Reconfigured Antique Furniture. And as many other things, which slip my mind.

Now; here's the part I don't understand. If you follow up buyers of Gary's fifty some years of production (let's assume, wink) ... you will find sooo many disappointed people. Because, they really liked Gary's work. They could even tolerate Gary in small doses. But, they wanted to collect 6 5/8" OAL folders, with light to light medium brown fiddleback walnut handles. "Yeah, I watched Gary's site for his last ten years. It was sad watching him eat cat food ... making all those 6 1/4" OAL dark medium brown folders. And all that other junk my kids, friends, and co workers would like, but I kept watching. Pitiful it was." Point being (if it's not Gary Barnes Clear), makes me wonder why people who like my work enough to watch it, don't buy what's available when it's available. There's the answer to "Want it now." Its done. For instance ...I'll bet people wonder why I've been making up small folders for sale. If ya asked me, it's because I'm worried pretty sick, about that tax bill laying on the table. They are nothing to fool with. And, the products have been made several times over to cover it, and scattered here, and there, and there, and here. And, they are immediately available. And, I'd sure work much better and longer without migraines .... but .... "let's see what comes along next." Well, it could be the moving truck's ... if you follow.

Seems I'm not in the right place making the right things. Or, what's right here, finished, where I'm living my life .... isn't exactly what I saw as being a Gary Barnes piece. I can assure you all ... it is. It's all a Gary Barnes piece. Right there ... this page .... would be a big help too.

Gary L., thank you so much. I will tumble over all your wisdom endlessly. And your knife is under build. I don't work on it except when I'm able. I won't sell what isn't up to my standards. Now some things, like simplier tax knives, or grocery knives, I can work on between two sessions of splitting headaches (See yesterday). But others not so. They are all up to my standards. Some are just not as difficult. But that is the reason some get upset. 'Cause I don't just get over all this silly health nonsense and finish their piece. 'Cause, they feel fine, and they think I'd be happier if I'd just be more like them. Maybe jog more. Or lift weights. Or ... "I have a good carrot diet. Just carrots" ...

Add the LOL. All met to be somewhat enlightening.
Nothing met to be snide.
Every word the truth,

Please Buy Gary's Stuff (from Gary). It's all Gary's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2018 03:47PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: HOLD Blue Light Special FINISHED PICS wow bullhorn Channel Folder ..... FOR SALE this weekend. bullhorn
May 08, 2018 10:14PM
sunnyGary B
It a great knife and I have a similar Zippo brand I carried for years .
I agree a lot with both of your comments and appreciate you including me with your list of friends. As we age we ALL have to change our methods. Our bodies require it . Most people who only read this website don't know this but you are a BIG man ! 6'-4" I'd guess and just carrying that frame around allllll them year( hehe ) will take a toll . Now add in the crazy things we did in our young years to abuse ourselves and BAM ya end up paying for it later . Oh ya factor in the genetics too . I feel your pain and completely understand. You've kept an amazing attitude throughout it all . After a few of my surgeries once the docs and nurses would ask questions like , Are you sad ,depressed , ? Do you cry unexplainably? I would tell them heck No I'm in pain . Now that's where the chronic part come into play . You refuse to give in as do others and just reinvent yourself . We can't do the things we used to do but we find a way to do what we have to do .

Anyways you know I was telling you about a local knife builder ( famous ) that I was looking at his knifes . Well I saw one of his for sale recently on a web sight and there were
5 named builders included in one knife that was made by him ! Made by HIM ??!! Need I say more .

Well people are missing out on your knives that are completely fabricated in house buy yours truly. Heck Id be surprised if you didn't dive and catch the black lip pearl 97 you just sold .sunny

Thanks
Kurt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021