Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pictures - In Process - Steel Carving

Pictures - In Process - Steel Carving
May 23, 2019 11:51AM
39F164CF-E8CF-43A4-9E43-6D94455CA1A5.jpeg

Here’s where the magic Sharpie comes in. Because the final art piece is produced with a Die/Coining Process - everything must be done backwards from (in a Negative format) to the final product. Left is Right. Foreground is the deepest cuts. Etc.

14867FBC-BE18-488C-A6D6-EE23F1CA776B.jpeg

This is where I carve away everything that doesn’t look like a boat. And the places where there is to be nothing at all ... require carving away the most steel of all.

Next ... on this Die ... the specific heat treat.

Then the First Press, and “Refinements”.

Thanks for checking

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2019 12:11PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Pictures - In Process - Steel Carving
May 23, 2019 04:49PM
FC771E7E-58AB-4B9E-8FCC-03A081393B79.jpeg

Heat Treated

Gary
May 23, 2019 09:02PM
Very nice Gary
I think I see Big Bore hoisting the main sale ! Full speed ahead bullhorn

Thanks
Kurt
May 23, 2019 11:41PM
Geez Gary, If I could draw a boat that well with a Sharpie I would be proud of myself and call it done.
I really like it!
May 24, 2019 12:16PM
Thank you Bob.

I’m glad you like it. Thanks for the encouragement.

Really hope you are well.

Gary
May 24, 2019 01:22AM
That is the classic. it is a very recognizable design. The example page I linked to showed that design to be half the offerings and they didn't look half as nice.

Gary, can you press a clean image onto the back of one of these without defacing the front?

Lon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2019 01:29AM by Bigbore.
Silver Eagle.JPG
May 24, 2019 01:15PM
Thanks Lon,

I have a few copies under way. Both Repousee’ and Coined.

I have researched two side strikings. The foolproof way is with a top and bottom die. Striking both at once. But incredible pressure is needed.

The metal “flows” when Struck. There is a displacement of metal during the process. The areas displaced stretch and must go somewhere. That introduces stress in the metal. Some operations require annealing again before continuing. If a person has seen the US Mint Coining operations running, they’d most likely have a more difficult appreciation for my coining. Ha. Mine doesn’t self feed and strike 350+ per minute. (Show offs ... haha.)

I have successfully struck centered dies on the back but it’s full of opportunities to ruin the existing work. (Like 7 or 8 out of 10 times), so it’s just not worth it to me. The appreciation factor isn’t intuitive either. So best to stay within the limits of my hand built machinery. Most of my uses will be for single sided images.

Thanks Lon.
May 28, 2019 02:18AM
Gary,

Enjoy seeing how you make things. The artistry and knowledge that you posses, wow. Not to mention the patience in learning each craft. It is not something you can just decide to do one day and proceed without natural ability.

Hope others appreciate the efforts!

Pedro
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021