Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

We need some input - Winter Forum Competition - Gary

We need some input - Winter Forum Competition - Gary
November 19, 2009 03:40PM
I've been thinking ...

Winter is coming. Can we think of something that we can put together that would be an on-going interest item? Such as, perhaps an indoor light energy tournament, etc. Post the targets here on the site?

We'd need to establish some sort of game that could be monitored.

Suggestions of "reactive" standard sized target items: Playing cards, pop sickle sticks, sticky "dots" from stationary stores ...

Any practical suggestions that YOU will actually participate in?

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2009 04:43PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: We need some input - Gary
November 19, 2009 08:03PM
Paint balls, Necco wafers, antiacid pills/lozenges, childrens aspirin (cuz they are usaully orange--easier to see)

There is the Black Death Challenge target..... progressively smaller bulls as you traverse the "course" of fire......

Christmas lights on teh neighbor's bushes....
November 20, 2009 01:11AM
Who says that bug-busting is an outdoor-only sport? When I was stuck in LA (lower Alabama) for Army flight training, we rented perhaps the worlds worst mobile home just to get off base. The roaches weren't quite big enough to carry us off at night, but they did get into everything even remotely food-related in the house. If you left a soda can on the floor, they'd be on it like flies on...uhm....stuff. winking smiley When we'd hear them scrabbling around on the cans at night, we'd fllip on the lights and pop them with an old Crossman pump-up pellet pistol.

The best part was that we never had to clean up the roach parts, since the fire ants would do it for us. Or maybe that was the worst part, it's hard to say. As long as you kept your beds legs in cans of water and never let the sheets touch the carpet, it wasn't too bad at night. You just had to remember to always wear your slippers if you got up to use the bathroom.
November 20, 2009 01:29AM
OK ... so far, I think I understand that you all want to participate in a game where, we shoot out the neighbor's Christmas lights ... and Cock Roaches, and then post the pictures here on the Rendezvous?

I guess my communication skills have degraded significantly. It was my intention to see if there was any interest in putting together a game in which we'd jointly participate this winter ... and keep it running here.

Gary
November 20, 2009 03:24PM
OK ... I'm gonna swat the bee's nest. So; we have 37 people so far that don't want to participate. What's a matter ... ya CHICKEN?? excited

winking smiley

Gary
November 20, 2009 07:22PM
Chickens? naw, they are too big, too easy to shoot and its a pain to dig the pellets out of the breasts...... google eyes

Wad-ya have in mind Gary? Like a postal match?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2009 07:23PM by dan_house.
November 20, 2009 08:20PM
That's why I'm asking. I figured that perhaps something would come together from people's suggestions. Yeah - something that we'd individually and uniformly do at home, and then post here. If that's a postal match, then I guess so. Just something that would encourage some actual airgun shooting, and participation.

Gary
November 20, 2009 10:11PM
I'll be a judge. I don't have the room to shoot indoors but I do like to see good results...
November 20, 2009 10:43PM
Well, indoors, outdoors. I just was suggesting something other than 200 yards and something other than super powerful guns. In that way, we might encourage more participation. However; the idea hasn't exactly lifted off yet ... confused smiley

Why do you want to be a judge? Is it the payoffs .... perhaps .... hummmmm .... whistling???? hahah.,

Hey - somebody has to have a gun they shoot and want some competition. Heck .. I'll shoot with one of my cheap scopes .... even tape sights if I have to ... wink

Gary
November 21, 2009 01:41AM
well, I have my .22s (Marauder and a Falcon) - I'd be happy to shoot some targets and post them, since I am such a prolific picture-taker ;-)

what distance?

10m?

25 yds?
November 21, 2009 02:56AM
Good man ... a taker! Ah ha!!! thumbs up

That's the question. I can shoot 12 yards in the shop. Can't shoot on the property here. Of course, I can go to the range. Alot of work, and my hope was something for evening/indoor shooting for me.

Anybody else in for the idea? We'd have to come to terms regarding the guns/caliber range, etc.

Gary
November 22, 2009 03:07AM
We also have to "run what we brung" ... Let's see .... I own a Ball reservoir gun with tape sights. whistling It's 34 caliber. Probably quiet enough for the shop.

I have bits and pcs. around that might screw together into some "Frankengun". Hummmm .... Also have Crossman pistol somewhere ....

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2009 03:08AM by barnespneumatic.
November 22, 2009 01:27AM
"I'm your huckleberry" smoking smiley Best line in the movie... I've got 22, 25 and 32 that should be up to the task. I'll even stuff Ballistic Bear back in the electrical box to make the silent pellet trap. Not going to let that crosswind become an advantage for y'all, I'll shoot indoors too. Now who can post the target choices? Sounds like the distance is 12 yd or less, Do we want to set a recurring day for "awards" for the previous...wk..fortnight...month?
Kent
November 22, 2009 03:02AM
I'm thinking we're going to have to revisit that $12k awards policy to get alot of participation. haha.

Gotta be something fun for targets - more than just paper circles.

After we get good, we can edge shoot some playing cards. We can also edge shoot pop sickle sticks. Those are both pretty universal I think. Easy to make a rack to hold either.

Paint balls are fun - but a heck of a mess.

We can surely shoot groups if people want to. We need some ideas as to what readers normally shoot. How about it? shooter coffee

Gary

I know Kent likes to shoot "off hand" so we'll most likely need two classes too. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2009 03:04AM by barnespneumatic.
November 22, 2009 05:32AM
Perhaps your latest duct seal gopher-type creating can make the round in a USPS flat rate box. You can let everyone have a crack at it. shooter with bench rifle

I'll make you a deal Gary, send me one of those Woodsman thingies, and I'll send you back some perforated targets. winking smiley
November 24, 2009 03:42PM
how about something like this?:

[www.minisniping.org]

Start standing shooting at shotgun hulls, standing 9mm, sitting 9mm, then sitting .22 LR casings. Say 5 per round? At 10 meters (cuz I can do that in the lab)

Honor system, or break out your web cam and we can all watch you shoot it..... or in my case, watch me miss most of them..... cooler

or if some ones got an plasma cutter, 1.5 inch micro poppers.......
November 24, 2009 09:29PM
Hi Dan,

I'm up for the concept. However; I don't have the Hulls and Brass .... and would never find them once scattered all over the shop from the first hits.

Much as I love reactive targets ... I'd wonder about making up a paper sheet with those items drawn out. I honestly don't know how to post something like that so that people could just print it out, and have it work out to scale. I guess a scanned 8 1/2 by 11 page ... once printed, would be right ... is that correct?

Anybody feel like a project?

Anybody else have ideas that you think are better?

We've got: Myself, Kent, Joebill, and Dan. Anybody else thinking of joining in? How about if I offer to make a Bison for the Season's winner? eye popping smileyYeah, right ... keep dreaming!!! I'm old but I'm not senile yet!!

I'll scratch around and find a barrel to slap on my ball reservoir gun. Something smaller - maybe 25 caliber. I'll see what's being used as a paper towel roll holder ....

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2009 09:31PM by barnespneumatic.
November 24, 2009 09:35PM
I'm in. I can use my .22 Marauder in the basement. shooter

If you want to do up an 8.5" x 11" target sheet, Gary, we can scan it and make a PDF file that can be emailed to everyone for easy printing.

-- Jim
November 25, 2009 04:00PM
Jim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm in. I can use my .22 Marauder in the
> basement. shooter
>
> If you want to do up an 8.5" x 11" target sheet,
> Gary, we can scan it and make a PDF file that can

I dont know that even that would guarentee the same size for every one.

Better way might be to draw the "hulls" in a CAD program or Illustrator, to scale, on a page size smaller than 8.5 x11. Taht should print full size. PDF's may/will change some, depending on your printers "active area" and other variables. If we include a "known size object" on the target, then you could play with the PDF rpintout parameters to get to the correct scale.... Minor point, but easily corrected I think

To Gary's point, you could drill out the primers, and tether them....
November 25, 2009 04:19PM
What we need is someone who knows all the things you just explained .... to do it.

That's not me. My CAD/CAM is a pencil and paper.

;?)

Gary
November 25, 2009 04:34PM
laughing again
Sorry.

Every computer has a certain uniquenss to it.How it interacts with other equipemtn (in this case your printer) and how it interprepts data files will vary some across/between systems. Thus a scale drawing may not be the same size from a print out on my system compared to Gary's print out from his.

By including an object of known size (say a 1 inch long line) you can adjust your settings to get it 1 inch long. We could just ignore the scaling issues.....

Or we could just super glue Necco wafers to lightweight card stock and pop them...... shooter with bench rifle
Re: We need some input - Winter Forum Competition - Gary
November 25, 2009 05:01PM
target.jpg

Just make it smaller, targets are 3/4 inch high. Saves chasing casing around,,,,,
November 25, 2009 11:02PM
Nice diagram Dan! I like the concept for some miniture knockdowns. My only concern is that by the time I get it made, to be able to compete, cabin fever might kill Gary.sick

Everyone, there are a couple of dozen targets at the same site above. Should be something for everyone to enjoy. I Googled airgun target and there are several sites.

Dan, not " I second" but "I'm second" !! Sounds like you are next in line as dealer, that's great! Who's third?

Kent
November 26, 2009 01:18AM
Just to point out the (hopefully obvious) ... I made the "Sticky" which will permanently stay at the top of the forum list.

smileys with beer

Gary
November 25, 2009 08:08PM
How about this guys, looks like we have about 4-6 participants. Lets rotate the "dealer" if you will and have it dealers choice. We'll have a one week shooting period for each target and rules. Then we can post our targets as the next dealers target and rules run for the following week. The dealer needs to let us know where to find the target and a standard dimension to use on the target. He will also give us the rules. The posting of targets will stop 1 wk after the one week shooting period.

For example:

My target can be found at [www.airgunsmith.com]
Reference size is large circle labeled 6.0 is 6 cm diameter at outside edge.
Distance 10 yds
Hold Forestock may be rested on an artificial surface the butt can only be supported by the shooter. Shooter may be in any position.
The 27 circles to be shot largest to smallest in sequence. This will be repeated once for the same target sheet for a total of 54 shots. To score, the hole must include the blank area within the circle. Highest possible score will be 54.
Shooting on this target will be 11/27 till 12/4. (For this first one let's not waste time and we'll start now). Posting of targets/scores will begin 12/4 till 12/11.

My printer requires all margins, headers, footers are removed in print preview...page setup. and custom resize to 115%.

Who's ready to shoot? Who's next dealer? Can we get a Sticky post./ site for dealers and posters to use?

Kent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2009 10:48PM by Cajun Justice.
November 25, 2009 09:51PM
Dealer's Choice! Good name for the effort too!

I second! Now off to find or draw a target....
November 26, 2009 01:43AM
OK !

Are we agreed that we are shooting at 12 yds or 10m or what?
November 26, 2009 02:56AM
Hi JoeBill,

I set the range as 10 yds as I believe for some that was their max indoor distance. OK, they actually said 10 m but Jimmy Carter was the last American to support the metric system and I don't want to be seen as supporting him! knucklehead

Kent
November 26, 2009 05:04AM
"Carter was the last American to support the metric system"...uhmmm...not quite. For whatever reason, the U.S. military does all it's stuff in meters and kilometers. Something about the whole rest of the world doing it, I dunno. whistling

While I'm still in favor of using miles for the highway system, you DO have to admit that the whole metric thing does make the math easier.

And now for something that's actually on-topic for a change.eye rolling smiley

I've got one of those Russkie air pistols laying around collecting dust. It's just barely powerful enough to actually punch through target stock, but it's far more accurate than my pistol shooting arm will ever be and has an awesome trigger for an airgun that cost me less than $100. I'm up for some postal match action if we can have a pistol class.
November 26, 2009 11:42AM
Kent

I'm with you on ol' Jimmie...not our finest hour !

yup, the metric system is easier and all that....but being an amateur woodworker, I just like fractions . Not to mention the car thing - every car geek knows 0-60 times, and somehow 0-100 KM/H just doesn't seem the same....

I must have been reading your post too late at night - never even noticed the 10 yd thing - sorry more innocent

Sounds like a plan, anyway
November 27, 2009 12:52AM
Hi rotorhead,
Let me get this straight, a Ruskie pistol, going metric, and siding with Carter. Next you'll tell me you passed on a moose hunt with Palin!!!wink

Now back to the topic of pistol. I have a couple of pistols here but they are all topped with glass and are not specifically suited to one hand holds. I plan to shoot several guns durng these matches. I would be happy to shoot pistol format as well. Hope this encourages you to join in.

JoeBill don't feel bad that 10 yd thing may have been one of my edits that was stuck in after your question, don't really remember.

Kent
November 27, 2009 01:46AM
Hmmm...when you phrase it that way it DOES sound suspicious, doesn't it? In my defense, I'd have to say that I never voted for Smilin' Jim. Of course, the fact that I was still in middle school at the time may have had something to do with it. whistling

And as far as my moose hunt this year, well, let's say that I learned a lot about how to deal with broken boats out in the middle of nowhere, and not much about scouting for moose. For the record, Mz. Palin was NOT invited, we're still pissed with her up here for quitting in the middle of her term. angry smiley

So, count me in for a mail-order paper punching match on the pistol side of things. And if someone gets motivated, we could also institute the "mutant duct-seal critter invitational". Once you get finished filling the last guys creature full of lead, you re-shape it to your liking and mail it off to the next guy. After appropriate photos, of course. Just an idea.
November 27, 2009 04:08AM
rotorhead, I heard Palin quit because she was becoming a distraction.blah blah Hope she didn't leave you all in too much of a lerch.

I like the idea of a duct seal challenge. I think for the cost of shipping the beast everyone could get their own duct seal to mold and shoot.Here it is at 1.33/lb [www.hardwareworld.com]

I also think the critter would take a beating going to and fro between shooters and arrive deformed.

This could be your "deal". Come up with the format for the "target" and the rules for scoring. This should be a lot of fun with the pistols, shooting at a larger target. Put your deal down the list a little way in order for everyone to be able to get their clay and make the target. This could be the first shooting contest with a prize for creativity. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Kent
November 27, 2009 04:21PM
Yeah - with Big Bore, I have to re-shape the target after each shot. Small bore would just punch a small hole I'm certain. However; there's few things I hate more than 1). The Telephone (the biggest waste of time every invented). 2). Shipping stuff (the biggest frustration ever invented).

If it were not for 1 and 2 above ... I'd have completed the ledger, restored my house, and moved somewhere WARM. google eyes

grinning smiley

Rotor, shouldn't cost you more that $80/pound to get some of that clay up to the end of the dogsled run. haha.

Gary
November 27, 2009 07:26PM
That's if the musher doesn't have to eat it when stuck in the blizzard. How's that stuff taste anyway? Let's ask Mikey.

Kent
November 28, 2009 04:53AM
Off the subject , but cause I'm from Minnesota any problems with cold weather on air rifles ?
November 28, 2009 02:25PM
I've shot in extremely cold weather with my PCPs - had no trouble at all. Took a buffalo on a 19 degree morning once.

thumbs up

Gary
November 30, 2009 09:02AM
Hmmm, duct seal challenge....

I think it may have to be a contest where it's judged ALL on creative input. Given the disparity in power levels involved, I think that the artistic use of an airgun to inflict damage on a critter of your own creation may be the sole judging criteria.

And no, they don't deliver mail up here by dogsled. Heck, they gave up on that old-fashioned stuff months ago... eye rolling smiley

In actuality, they stuff a lot of it into little single-engine airplanes down in Juneau and try to fly it up here. It seem to work fairly well in the summer, but in the wintertime they might as well just give up on air transport and just ship it up on the ferry. Lets just say that when it comes to shipping, "next-day air" and "overnight" are terms without much meaning in our neck of the woods! UPS will occasinally get a package up here in a somewhat timely manner, but FedEx and the others are a disaster. They ship it up to Anchorage (about 750 miles away through Canada), sit on it for a week or two, and then...you guessed it...they MAIL it to us here. moody smiley

As far as Palin goes, she got distracted all right. She figured out how much more money she could make on the politics roadshow and bailed out so fast she left a vapor trail from Wasilla to Washington. She seems to have found a new batch of suckers...oops, I meant a willing enough audiencewhistling, judging by her book sales. I can't say that I'm ever planning on reading it myself, let alone purchasing a copy with my own money. Her old Lt. Gov got promoted to the big chair, and he seems to be doing the job well enough. Personally, I think she's gotten in WAY over her ability level, but I guess time will tell.
November 30, 2009 03:57PM
I'd say that this thread is officially hi-jacked beyond all repair. thread hijacked

Thanks for your input, everyone. I'll just move it over to the Off-Topic page, so readers don't keep slogging thru.

We have our Winter target game started now.

thumbs up

Gary
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021