Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lovely day

Lovely day
March 15, 2010 11:12PM
Since we're not overwhelmed with new threads, I thought I'd just drop a note in to stir the pot.

Spent the day in waiting rooms. No - not medical this time! haha. The Tire shop, and the MVA. Lovely day. haha.

Bought tires for Kelly's van a few weeks ago, and asked them to check the brakes. Yep - they're good. I was surprised too. Who asks a shop to check something, and gets a report that it doesn't need fixing. surprised They couldn't believe that I didn't want the $89 alignment (you can drive for ten miles with your hand off the wheel - so I knew it didn't need it). I sat and listened to the required phone answer schpeal ... "It's always a good day at Mr. Tire, this is Frank, how may I help you?" Such a cheery place. I hated to leave .... eye rolling smiley haha. But, alas ... after an hour or three ... I really HAD to leave.

Well, Kelly and our Son went to NC the next day, and reported a "noise" coming from a rear wheel of the van. Great. The wheels didn't fall off, and the noise was still scuffing and scraping along today. I'd checked to make sure they were tight, shook the van ... never had time to take it back. Things were ganging up on me though.

Side bar ... the other evening Kelly and I went to the surprise B-day party of a friend. On the way home, late on the cold rainy night ... I get stopped by a State Policeman. Heck - I wasn't even speeding, shooting deer from the van, or anything. whistling "TAG LIGHTS???" ... I nearly asked if he was kidding. But Kelly punched me. So, I give him my paper work ... and then .... I think ... ooooooooh Krappp ... I've been avoiding renewing my license since my birthday .... I'm dead meat. I'm already getting horrible visions of "The Slammer" ... when the guy comes back ... hands me my paperwork, cheerfully tells me I need to get the lights fixed, and he's gone in a flash. more confused I nearly howlered after him ... "Hey! What about that expired liscense?" ... but Kelly punched me ... winking smiley Guess he was in a hurry to find the OTHER real dangerous criminal lurking about in the green Dodge mini-van that night. hummmm.

Well, today, it all compounded. I needed valid ID for something to mail off. And, my stupid lisence was expired. I gave up, scuffed out to the shop ... turned off the shop heat, and resigned myself to wasting the entire day.

Of course, the brakes that were fine before the tires were installed were now worn out. Tragic case - never seen anything like it. But; I'd had them checked multiple times before, and everybody had said they were fine, but they've been crap since the van was new ... and it was time to replace them, even if the stupid lining was never gonna wear down. Probably why they were lousy brakes ... the never created enough friction to wear the lining. hahah. They were cracked - probably glazed. I suspect the return springs were fatigued and dragging. Drums needed turning - of course. So, I sat thru sixteen news cycles in the waiting room, and got them fixed.

Then off to the MVA with a big smile. First time, I went around the parking lot - no places to park, the line of people was out the front door and across the sidewalk. Not a good sign. I decided to go another day. Went to Lowes instead. Decided to go back afterwards ... knowing I'd never get back to it. This time, there were still no parking places ... but less people visible. Then, on the second time around the lot, I saw a creative possibility. Most likely I parked where they were testing parallel parking ... haha ... but I parked and beat it away from the van, before anyone could yell at me.

Sat forever. B-109 is a loooooooong way from B-79 being called when I entered the waiting hall as a young man. And, it's a gift, I picked a day when school was off a half a day. The place was crawling with ugly kids and their gene pool donors, trying to get their driver's license. Everybody was coughing, hacking, wheezing, sniffling ... I'll probably die from exposure. I'm a creature of the shop ... contact with the public can't be good for me.

I left home after breakfast ... got back for dinner. Lovely day. grinning smiley

Gary
Re: Lovely day
March 15, 2010 11:25PM
you could try a trick i learned in NYC for the DMV

show up at 4:55 if they close at 5. usual line, usual 2 people actually working, but....

at least in NYC , once you were in and they shut the door at 5....the workers can't leave until everyone is taken care of, so workers came out of the woodwork and started running people thru like you couldn't believe - everybody done in 10 minutes!!!!

now I renew by mail or online, but it might be worth a try....
March 16, 2010 12:12AM
They wouldn't accept it on line - because I needed to get an eye exam this time. Could have gone to the eye doc, and spent a fortune on an exam and glasses, or cooled my heals at the MVA. Just my gift of picking the wrong time, wrong day. I avoid it like the plague. But I expect they were going to come get me in the black helos soon, if I didn't renew. ;?)

Gary
March 17, 2010 04:57AM
Gary,

You would think that they would know by now that peoples eyes get BETTER with age.self-hammer "Mr. Barnes, we've corrected your new license to indicate that you now wear trifocals instead of bifocals". Really helps when you get pulled over at night, the trooper can shine his flashlight in your eyes to confirm that they have 2 lines running horizontally instead of one.

We can make reservations at our DMV, in and out in 1/2 an hour.hourglass

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2010 05:00AM by Bigbore.
March 17, 2010 09:14PM
Please don't tell Gary you've got it better or have found a better way...it only pokes the bear!
March 18, 2010 12:01AM
LeprechaunLeprechaunLeprechaun

that is alll !!!!!!!!
March 18, 2010 01:57AM
Hi Joebill, et al,

Happy St. Patty's Day.

GAry
March 19, 2010 01:54AM
OOOHHH,,,Jerry..."pokes the bear".hmmmm......I think we're talking about a new smiley for that one!

Here where I live, the MVD has one clerk. She does everything, so if you're second in line, it just takes forever...winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021