Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sad days in Southern Maryland

Sad days in Southern Maryland
July 13, 2010 11:49PM
Yesterday a girl of 16 was killed in a traffic accident. She was headed home from her boyfriends house when she was rear-ended by a guy driving a bigger car and pushed into oncoming traffic. She was hit by an oncoming car and then hit again when spun back into her original lane. Nobody but the girl was injured, her car was destroyed and left in six pieces. As of now, there is no indication as to why the 28 year old guy ran into her on a clear day with no other emergency in progress...just speculation. Shelby Wood died at St. Mary's hospital shortly after the accident. Her boyfriend serves as a volunteer fireman and was called to the scene. I can't imagine his pain as he had been called in early and had told her she had to leave earlier than planned as he had to go to the station early. He thinks it's all his fault. My son Chris is at her parents house putting together a slide show for a remembrance. The boyfriend is Chris' best friend and part of a local "crew" that has hung together for most of their young lives, we're all very worried about him.

All parents try to protect their kids and somehow impress the idea of mortality into them. We hope they don't do something stupid and hurt themselves. I don't know how one can prepare them for the senseless death of a friend though. I don't know that there is any preparation possible but i wish I could make it hurt less.
Re: Sad days in Southern Maryland
July 14, 2010 02:25AM
Jerry,

I'm so very sorry. That's just horrible. I'll pray for them. There's never anything good to say in a situation like this. I'm sure Chris will be a huge help to his friend and Shelby's family ... but will go thru alot of pain himself. I'm so sorry.

I worry terribly, every time I see some young guy, with a pretty young girl perched up behind him ... clinging onto a plastic fender while the driver of one of these bikes the kids love ... seems oblivious to the senseless danger. Even worse than just wrapping an arm around his waist ... I see these young girls just reaching down and pinching the plastic fender with both hands ... while the young fool struts his stuff. What a senseless risk. This is a different situation ... same horrible loss. Sounds like she was just in the wrong place. I wish the Angels did more to protect the innocent.

Gary
July 14, 2010 10:26PM
Thank you for the comments Gary. Chris is on his way now to a prayer / friends and family get together at the boyfriend's house. He was working on a slide show yesterday and had to drop by to find his camera as it had pictures of Shelby from just a day or so before the accident. He's handling this very well and is being very supportive of those in the greatest pain. I'm proud of him.
July 14, 2010 11:52PM
You did a good job raising them.

thumbs up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021