Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Range Test: 32 Delta SS

Range Test: 32 Delta SS
February 25, 2009 02:04PM
DELTA 32 001a.jpg

I got out to the range yesterday with the Delta 32 SS. It was one cold morning - but the sun was out, and there was no mud! yeah.

DELTA 32 005b.jpg

I set up with the gun mount and the chrono, and recorded some numbers. I'm tuning the rifle for the best string of shots above spec.

The peak of the curve yesterday, was the Barnes Falcon @ 77.3 grains, going 885 fps ... for 134.5 fpe. The single ought (O) buckshot from Hornady, flew @ 988 fps. It makes a good default close range round.

DELTA 32 008c.jpg

I soon started calling shots. I set up this block @ 50 yards and labeled it. Then proceeded to pop it right in the targeted kill zone.

DELTA 32 010d.jpg

Shot this excellent group @ 50 yards.

DELTA 32 013e.jpg

Decided that (since the gun is going to a varmint control officer), I needed a Beaver target.

DELTA 32 025g.jpg

And popped that right under the ear @ 50 yards!

DELTA 32 007h.jpg

The big bore bullet trap did a good job of recycling the lead for me too. It turns everything into nice lead flakes.

Good session. The guns ships today.
Gary
Re: Range Test: 32 Delta SS
February 25, 2009 05:04PM
The above target was carried into the shop. I just measured it @ .245" c/c @ 50 yards.

Gary
February 25, 2009 05:45PM
Smokin'. What's the fill pressure on that bad boy?

Now you guys see why Gary has an advantage over me and Jerry . . . he builds the guns AND gets to shoot more than us. electrified

-- Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2009 05:46PM by Jim.
Anonymous User
February 25, 2009 07:44PM
That's nice Gary, and with the 32 caliber he should be ready for just about any varmit here in the good old USA. That's not the magnum version either is it? It looks nice and sleek, should be a pleasure to hunt with.
February 25, 2009 07:53PM
Jim,

Gary is getting too far ahead. You need to be there to shoot anytime I can't make it and vice versa!
February 26, 2009 03:52AM
That is excellent performance... I like those figures! I've thought a .32 shooting round ball at 850-875 fps would be fine, but this does even better. I'd also be interested to know if this is the "standard" or magnum version.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 26, 2009 01:31PM
This is the standard model ...

Gary
February 27, 2009 01:08AM
Whoop.... Whoop.... Whoop...That makes this the first "Standard" model I have ever seen Gary make!!!wink

Ya, I know standard in energy only. But didn't he come up about 40% above required spec there as well. take a bow

Ah well, it's just another Barnes...what did you expect?

I'm sure the new owner will be thrilled. Gary, you have to also be excited about knowing this gun will be used to its potential. Maybe the new owner will let the rest of us in on how to become a varmint mercenary so we can use our Barnes purchase as a business expense.

Kent
February 27, 2009 01:33AM
Hi Kent,

Note the new post with the rebuilt valve. Went to the range again this afternoon. The numbers are even better.

Thanks. I'm pleased with it. I hope the owner will enjoy it, share it with us, and wear it down to a nub.

Gary
February 27, 2009 11:30AM
Gary, if that's standard performance, I don't see any need for a magnum upgrade. grinning smiley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
August 31, 2009 05:39PM
Soooo ....... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I decided to go back and drag forward a nice post from waaay back, for us to review. This was a special gun, very carefully prepared for a fellow to use varmint hunting.

Pictures from the field? Of targets? Of varmints? No ... not yet. Probably any day now though .... whistling

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2009 05:47PM by barnespneumatic.
August 31, 2009 06:40PM
Looks like "Varmint Guy" fell off the planet right after delivery. Amazing how some people can struggle to make the internet work while they wait but fall back into the dark ages as soon as their package shows up... whistling

I seem to recall that we got what, 7 or 9 dead level shots off one fill with that gun? Nice and quiet, shot above spec in both power and number per fill vs. the order and is now in a black hole. I suppose it's out there at night killing beavers as planned.
September 01, 2009 02:06AM
that was sneaky, bringing back an oldie - when I first saw "it was one cold morning" I thought "WHAT???"

now I'm back to reality - haha
September 01, 2009 02:14PM
Yeah Bill,

That one was all prepared and shipped in Feb. No reaction yet as to how it's doing. Very satisfying, as you can imagine. Imagine replacing a hip, with absolutely no follow-up ..... eye popping smiley

Gary
September 01, 2009 10:21PM
Actually, Gary, some of the time times I replace a hip or a knee I'd PREFER no follow-up......

imagine some of your more difficult ledger customer types....then add in their families....

sometimes I'd like to lock some of my "customers" in a safe ! more innocent

fortunately, it's only a very few.....although if "government care" takes over, and people have to wait a year for their hip, I can only imagine who they'll take THAT out on !
September 02, 2009 02:43AM
Maybe a better analogy would have been, "imagine no follow-up unless part of a lawsuit..."
September 03, 2009 07:19PM
At least as a helicopter pilot, you know right away if your customers are happy or not. It's especially easy to tell when you're doing aerial tour work: if they're white with fear and still clutching well-used barf bags when they get out on shakey legs...they're happy! Provided, of course, that they got their video footage. eye rolling smiley

I never could understand why someone would want to spend their whole flight peering through the tiny little viewfinder on a camcorder instead of just enjoying the flight themselves the first time around. You're far better off just buying the professionally made video back at the gift shop, it's always much better quality than any consumer-grade camcorder is gonna capture. Nothing makes people airsick faster than watching the Grand Canyon go by at 100 knots at 100x zoom.
September 03, 2009 07:35PM
Rotor head saz:Nothing makes people airsick faster than watching the Grand Canyon go by at 100 knots at 100x zoom

Gee thanx for that image..... just reading that makes me nauseaus.....google eyes
September 03, 2009 10:13PM
I don't know... having them close their eyes and then dropping the collective in conjunction with full right pedal seems to work pretty well too!
September 04, 2009 12:40AM
Ohhhh ... you flyboys are sooooooooo mean .... eye popping smiley
September 07, 2009 09:05AM
Actually, when you fly for the hospitals the patients sometimes puke regardless of how smooth you are at the controls, so you just have to get used to the smell. The trick is making sure that they don't puke on YOU, especially the GI bleeders. Nothing ruins your appetite like half-digested blood (usually mixed with cheap booze) served up hot and fresh in the cockpit. sad smiley

If you gutshoot a stumbling drunk deer and then wait a couple of hot summer days before you cut it open, you'll have a pretty good idea of the smell...yuck.
September 07, 2009 04:58PM
Yuk! thread hijacked
September 07, 2009 06:51PM
I agree ... google eyes ... I just threw up on my keyboard. Hey ... as moderator Jerry ... doesn't anybody "screen" these guys? hahah. Nothing worse than a bunch of medical people with a mind to gross ya out! confused

hahaha,.

Gary
September 07, 2009 05:25PM
I'm not going to add any more to the "yuck" factor....except to say that as bad as GI Bleeders are, there is one situation that's worse !

But enough of that - I AM enjoying the various other threads going on now shooter
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021