Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tri-Metal Touring Case - COMPLETE - 7 pics

Tri-Metal Touring Case - COMPLETE - 7 pics
December 02, 2014 07:46PM
image.jpg

It turned out just striking.

image.jpg

I think Jules Verne would have LOVED it!

image.jpg

The Tri-Metal format really has a punch.

image.jpg

It WILL accept five of the big Mentos Chewing Gum bits. Or several locks of Yetti hair. Even a small ham sandwich. whistling

image.jpg

The inside is smooth, but shows the telegraphed impressions of the hammer marks, and the roller engraving. It's framed by a smooth Nickel Silver frame.

image.jpg

Get one of those "silver cloths" for keeping whatever level of patina you like. Never use Brasso on anything nice. It is full of grit and leaves a white paste residue. The silver cloth leaves nothing behind. Cleans quickly.

image.jpg

I offered to complete this Amazing Case, to an early buyer for $475us.

This Tri-Metal Touring Case is now SOLD.

Thank You.

Gary
Re: Tri-Metal Touring Case - COMPLETE - 7 pics
December 02, 2014 09:48PM
That's beautiful !
Is the top and bottom of the case the same convex ? It's hard to tell in the picture but I was also wondering ..... With the hammered finish , how do you know when your done hammering? I really appreciate the fine detail on the hinge work and clasp!( call me weird) I would love to see ALL the hand tools ( in one photo) that are required for the expedition case . Don't reveal any trade secrets though .
December 02, 2014 11:50PM
Hi Kurt,

Glad you like it bud. Thanks much.

Yes, the domes are equal in depth and shape.

That would be a good size pile of tools! Seriously.

All sorts of dies and jigs, an specialized hand tools - punches - forming tools.

You asked about hammering. When I hammer the texture, I have to use even strokes. I have to cover the whole surface. I have to have it "appear" to be a Truely random pattern. Can't have "hot spots" - such as 2-3 dimples that overlap too much. Makes what looks like a big hole. You eye goes right to something like that. So; to appear random, you must have amazing control over where you strike.

When I stretch the domes, by hammering; I "feel" the tension in the metal. The resistance. It work hardens as it stretches. I "see" the symmetry as I go around the domes.

Honestly - it's hard to recognize these cases for the work and experience they require. I know you appreciate the inside baseball stuff Kurt. Thanks for asking.

Gary
December 03, 2014 09:21PM
That really came out nice. Someone is going to have something to be proud of and to examine/explain with joy for a long time.
December 03, 2014 10:08PM
Glad it found a home. Very nice piece of work.
December 04, 2014 02:27AM
Thank You Jerry,

I hope that brings generations of enjoyment.

I want one too! Haha. Every time I walk by it, I jerk my neck with a double take! Wow!

Hope the one in your family is giving good service. thumbs up

Hey - you can always bookmark the page for your kids! Haha. Ooooops - does that give away that they have not called me yet .... ? footinmouth. Nutz ....

Gary
December 04, 2014 05:35PM
Fancy doughnut box Gary smiling smiley
December 05, 2014 03:10AM
Might could fit maybe one of those Little Debbie "gems" donuts, if you squeezed it in there a bit.

Not that I'm some sort of expert on relative donut sizes. Especially if you ask my wife, who doesn't think I have any business at all eating that sort of thing...whistling
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021