Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

For my Friends Waiting

For my Friends Waiting
November 19, 2012 02:38PM
All of the parts, for all of my projects; were carefully wrapped and moved to our new location in the panhandle of Florida. We are currently occupying two much larger shop buildings, and one smaller building ... which will house all the operations required to produce my work. We had one building built, and have modified two others.

The move was a major investment of time, money, and effort. It was a required move. 1). I'd, once again; lost my range access. The area had become more congested, and there were people popping up on horses, and kids on dirt bikes around. It became a real effort to stay safe. The host farmer changed his crops too - and the range became 7' tall corn. The end. 2). The area where I'd lived for 32 years was changing fast. We became concerned that our home business location was going to become an issue. 3). My health issues do not respond well to cold - and Maryland has quite a few months of very cold weather. 4). Our Victorian home had worked for us because I bought it as a young man. It required restoration. I had the skills and tools, so I crawled over it like a squirrel for decades - fixing and maintaining. We had a larger combined family, so it all worked. As the family matured and left, I aged. We were left with a huge house, mostly empty, that required heavy regular maintenance. Believe it or not, we simply could not contract people to do the jobs that came up. Nobody wanted the small stuff. So: we were left in Maryland, where property prices are extremely high. There was no possible way to attain 5-10 acres unless you were very well off. And, to find a place to work, with buildings? Not gonna happen.

And so; concerned about yet another delay, we began a thorough search of quite a few states. We made some Scouting trips. We decided on the area of the central panhandle of Florida. We think it's a good match for us. So; the move continues. There are some loose threads in Maryland. But we are probably 80% finished here in Florida. A commercial move of our 32 years worth of shop equipment. supplies, projects, and home goods, was out of the question. We bought a 16' box trailer, and have made five trips with it. Two friends each made another trip for us, with their own trucks and trailers. Thank you again, Kent and Jerry!

It's mid November now. I've been working on the range here. I'll have my own test facility and range. Kelly has been helping me daily. We work in tee shirts in weather 65-70 degrees. I feel better. I'm processing all of this at the best pace I can. I never loose site of all the people waiting. I'm writing these few paragraphs as I still get mail from waiting friends, who have no idea of the move, or our current state of work. I hope this is helpful, and I'll point folks here.

Thanks very much for reading. Barnes Pneumatic is healthy. Our records are safe. The projects are on site and carefully wrapped. Every part is inventoried. As soon as things have a place on a shelf, I'll be back to completing the projects.

God Bless,
Gary
Re: For my Friends Waiting
November 19, 2012 05:32PM
Hello Gary,

I have no doubt that this move is the right thing for you in the long run. The eastern seaboard has gotten just too crowded and too expensive; unless you have exceptional financial resources there just isn't the space or the tolerance for a home business of your type. It's only a matter of time before the ever-increasing suburban sprawl drives out the last of the farmers and the uptight new neighbors start clamoring to close down the various shooting ranges, small airports, race tracks, and any small business that produces any hint of industry such as noise, odors, smoke, etc. If you'd have tried to run a coal-fired forge, for example, I'm sure you'd have been on a first-name basis with the fire department, the zoning board, and had at least one neighborhood petition going advocating for your removal.

Once an area becomes suburbanized, it doesn't matter how long your business has been there. It makes no difference if your local shooting range was founded by Daniel Boone, or if the airport was a fueling stop for Orville Wright...the new residents want it GONE. The new neighborhoods "advisory committees" and "study groups" and the newly empowered neighborhood zoning commission will always come up with phrases like "safety considerations" and "incompatible use" and cite property values left and right when they are rationalizing their predetermined conclusions. The fact of the matter is that it's mainly a societal issue, as population density and tolerance for mixed-use zoning are inversely proportional. It's the name of the game when the urban (liberal) sheeples move in and take over a formerly rural area. The herd just can't be happy until all the nails that stick up are pounded down flush, everything nice and smooth and bland.

I suspect that time will show that the Florida panhandle is a far more appropriate location for Barnes Pneumatic. Even discounting the huge advantage of lower property values and the huge new shop space, your new neighborhood is just plain more amenable to your business. None of the neighbors are close enough to object to the noise of the shop, and you can conduct the occasional range session without lighting up the 911 switchboard. I'll bet that with this move you've gone from being your neighborhoods most "redneck" resident to, by far, the least. In fact, based on my past experience in the area, I'll bet you and Kelly aren't even in the running. grinning smiley

Not having to constantly keep up the old house is just the icing on the cake, so to speak. Once you've dealt with the remaining business in MD, it should be pretty smooth sailing maintenance-wise for some time. Provided of course that you can keep the jungle down there from taking over the place. Between the chainsaw, the tractor, and the chipper it looks like you've got that covered. smiling smiley
November 19, 2012 11:03PM
Hi Sean,
You nailed most of it. When I moved to New Windsor, there was a huge vacant lot behind me. The alley seemed like a country road. There were far less street lights. It was mostly like country out in the back of my property. I did fire the forge with soft coal. When you are "coking the coal" it burns off with a yellow dense smoke for a while. No problem. I built my power hammer. It makes an industrial noise like a pile driver. No problem. I'd work late at night in my shop and in my house. The place just had a different atmosphere. I wasn't bothering anyone.
Then the lot behind me got away from me. As I was inquiring about it, someone else was buying it. Eventually a big house and family went in there. More street lights went up. Things were developed more. The house with one old gentleman in it sold to a family. There were more zoning and heritage commities.
I just found myself adapting. My place went from acceptably semi-organized to manicured. I bought a gas forge to get rid of the smoke. Eventually, in later times ... It's been many years since I used the power hammer. And I was nervous working at night. I'd cut back on what I thought I could do.
Then, the insurance companies began sorting out their older homes. They sought to find a way to offload you. Eventually get rid of anything but the standard and normal.
Time to go. So, we did.
winking smiley
Gary
November 20, 2012 01:55PM
Forgot that last part. Actually, we've found that most people aren't from around here. Most seem to be transplants. Haven't seen one rifle rack in a pickup window - that I recall. I've seen a bit more camo this week - but hunting season is in. It's really not the Dukes of Hazzard around here. Unless they stay in the Yaupon. ;?)

And, when you see someone looking like they just got off a really hard shift at work, or life is leaning on them ... 9 out of 10 times, they will tip their hat or acknowledge you, and speak a courteous greeting. In Maryland, they'd walk up your chest and down your back. So far; so good. I suspect the people around here start those rumors you keep mentioning. winking smiley Keeps the "Heritage Committee Types" from wanting to move here. laughing

Gary
November 24, 2012 03:55AM
I must be watching too much of that show "duck dynasty".grinning smiley
November 26, 2012 07:37PM
Gary,

You keep talking like that and you might find some more transplants moving into your neighborhood.

Keith
December 12, 2012 08:00PM
well , well done , im sure the right move has been made , pun intended , i am sure you will benifit in many ways ,
ill also bet you found all sorts of valuable things you thought you had lost over the years too,
best of luck and health wealth and hapiness in your new home.
Anonymous User
January 08, 2013 11:41AM
I was a resident of Monroe Connecticut and can tell that it is a BIG change. Enjoy my friend. We have a saying that ALL of my people know. Cry in the dojo and laugh in the battlefield!
October 31, 2013 08:46AM
For the content you describe, I'm not quite sure, but the question we should be able to query through the network, I think so you can get more possible answers. Also, I really like the atmosphere in this forum that we can exchange views freely . Here you can hope to get more help, and can help more people. I hope we can be good friends.

EDIT: This is a friendly correction - we do not lace posts with embedded links to totally unrelated products and services. Enjoy the forum. take a bow Gary ( Barnespneumatic ) - Forum Owner and Moderator.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2013 05:10AM by barnespneumatic.
November 13, 2017 01:45AM
For 9 years, I've been here Day and night. There's a PM (Private Message) section - upper right corner of every page.

I've posted 11,776 posts in the last 9 years. That's a lot of thorough information.

If anyone needs to speak to me, or learn something other than what has repeatedly been in those 11,776 posts, please PM me. My listing has always been "barnespneumatic" for PMs, as it has been for all of those posts.

I find that people choose to represent that they can't "reach me", haven't "heard from" me, and "don't know information" regarding me, because it sounds much more dramatic then reality. They can even do so, when they've been a registered member of this very forum, and I'm always here. So; we are sitting here shoulder to shoulder for nine years, and they just can't find me.

If people seem confused, and/or choose to ask in open text .... I'll answer them in open text - so it hasn't appeared that I've dodged their question. What generally happens is that the person doesn't return ... and so there's just an open discussion hanging there like a Supermarket Tabloid. Personally, I don't think anybody in my address book has the same email addy they had years ago. People constantly change them. But people often "only" want to speak to me the way they "used to" speak to me. Folks, I'm here day and night. I've never been out of touch. I respond to inquiries. Now, a couple of things though: whatever I've told you on the forum here, is what I'll tell you in person. And ... if you insist upon writing to an address or format I've ceased using, then I won't get it .... so; no, I can't answer.

It's also pointless to answer publically, when all the answers have been published endless times. People get sick of hearing it. And it's too complicated for people to pick up from acouple if clipped sentences. And if people haven't bothered to read anything in over nine years, then I shouldn't be surprised when they don't read one more post either. If you wish to private message me, I'll answer your concerns.

Thanks much,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 02:01AM by barnespneumatic.
February 05, 2018 08:47PM
Hi

Hope things are going well following the move!

Not trying to push smiling smiley --- just wondering if I'm still in the queue for the rifle I finished paying for in March 2013.

Thanks!

james kasper
February 06, 2018 02:18AM
James, nobody has been bumped.

If you will, please read some. Come up to speed. I'm doing all I can. Most recently, I've just gotten over the Flu and then Pneumonia. Just the things life gets such fun out of tossing in.

I'm working 12/7. That's all I have. There's isn't a projection list. It would just be a fantasy. Pray for strength and clarity for me as I work please.

Gary
February 06, 2018 11:23AM
Hi

Sorry to hear you're continuing to have challenging health! Will keep you and your family in my thoughts!

Not worried about when things get done. Just checking in.

I have several other long term commissions (5-14 years old) that actually have disappeared (burned down, gone out of business, won't return calls/e-mail etc, they cancelled on me, and others) - that I have been checking in on as I near 60 years old. Not that I suspected you of such smiling smiley

Please don't add stress to your life on my account!

james
February 16, 2018 09:00PM
2 guns 2005 for me James. Patience. whistling
February 17, 2018 03:47AM
Great to hear from you Doug. How's that 32 Ranger Delta Magnum been shooting for ya?

Gary
February 22, 2018 12:25AM
For any readers interested in my work making Airguns.

I know you all hate the personal and business posts. But, if there's ever one made with any drama, it draws all sorts of readers.

I'm gonna post some true facts here. Won't matter a bit. If you dislike me, you will continue. Won't change the truth. Here goes:

I cannot please many, and I can't win against what life has stacked up. Readers think they know all they need to know. Somebody shows up and says he's been waiting X years, and I'm filth. That reader doesn't care a bit why. They only deal with corporations so, there just has to be some department to snap to if someone says it's been too long. This reader also won't believe, or care ... that I've told my life's story here so many times I'm sick of it. I won't again.

Point is, the reader we are discussing feels I've had long enough. I should be healed by now. If eight other things have come up, they don't count ... for me. Kills me when I get a contact from someone who tells me that now "they" are sick or disabled. And, that's supposed to wipe all my pieces off the table. Stop eating and paying the light bill. Get this man his project.

Readers have a nearly impossible time believing that I'm one old guy in a garage. They seem to read as it I have fifty employees. It's just me. Also, people forget we did a best guess handshake, and I allowed people to make no interest payments toward our best guess. We didn't have some international conference of experts put this together. Based upon my life at whatever time we talked, we made a guess. I wrote a thousand places on my websites "Don't send me your mortgage money." I didn't know what was waiting to hit me like a train. You don't either. God help us both.

I know for a fact that some people just hate me. I'm not sure why or how I caused my health to turn into a mess. But I've dealt with it along as best possible. I'm curious too, where do you think all those Barnes Airguns came from that are "out there?" I don't know where they are. People don't share such information. I thought I was going to have such a wonderful life of people using and enjoying my knives and Airguns. Heck, all kinds of other things too. Point being .... several hundred Airguns "aren't here". So they are in a cabinet somewhere. I made them FOR customers who bought them. Some like to imagine that I'm like the famous auto builder - TUCKER. That I talked a good line and never made anything. Well, that's not the case. The guns went out and I can't make people use them. They tell me that they prize them too much to scratch them. That's not my plan or my fault. But they aren't here. 1,400 handmade knives went out the door. I don't know where. I was selling all I could make to 70 years old men 40 years ago. Do the math. Either they are all 110 years old now, or next generation liquidated them. I don't know what they did with the knives. But they don't show them or tell me interesting stories.

Since I started this forum, I've made over 12,000 posts. Yet people tell me they have no idea what I've been doing. Not my fault, it's all been recorded here for everyone. Nobody stays in better contact with the world in general. You may consider though, that you don't know EVERYTHING about every situation that comes up, or people involved. This is just like every other business on earth throughout history. Some people are great. Some - maybe not. I've had all manner of crazy situations and schemes pulled on me. You don't know all. Please consider that when you read.

The best we get here is for people to demand that this be 98 percent a Gary's Blog. Most just don't want to share. No pics. No stories. Usually they don't even want to say hi. Their right. Just turns the spotlight hotter in me alone. And I have to entertain, and satisfy every reader's assumptions. BUT; let there be a hint of drama and everyone dives overboard. It becomes a ghost ship. Gary made 12,400 posts which entertained us ...but that one post .... not so much. I think he needs to stand in the corner for a bit.

Heck, I never know why people can't smile when I work an hour and a half on great pictures, editing, a nice story, and put it up to entertain. Nope. Silence. Or maybe one friend speaks. I have no idea why. So I really don't understand when there seems to be some "trouble in the force" and I'm supposed to guess why. People won't like this post, but it's every word the truth, and it may just enlighten some readers.

I know that you just won't believe that I feel like crap most of the time, health wise. I have serious well documented trails of treatment that would take a trunk to move. I don't owe the degree of explanation I give, but I have so those who know darned well that I don't lie can follow. There's a few things that just clear the decks. 1). Posts like this. 2). Asking for Prayer - people want you to do business and treat people according to biblical principles, but they don't want to hear about faith. 3). Would be the Third Rail - Politics. I just don't do it here. Half the country is completely pissed off at any moment. Then the other half switches the next day. And when they are pissed ... well .... "Hey!!! What ever happened to Barnes??!!! Is he STILL walking around with that fake wooden leg???" Then I hear from them. Or, during Holidays when Uncle Joe decides it'd be fun to jab his nephew .... "Hey - let me see that fancy handmade Airgun you bought instead of buying braces and college for all your kids!" Then I hear.

This factor is true: On the forum, I don't SOUND like I have health problems. However; I do. Six bad discs, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Migraines, Hernia, Chronic Pain from Degenerative Disc Disease. Floaters in both eyes. Neuropathy in both legs. That's a partial. Sound fun? Did I plan, request, cause those issues, or refuse treatment? No. But, it sure is fun to hate on Gary, especially when he makes good stuff. He ain't sick or he couldn't make that stuff! Really? Are you sure? Are you sure I'm not giving up any "spare time", all "fun time", every evening, weekends, even most holidays. Wish you could ask people who really know me - but I don't have much time to keep up friendships either. Not sure you'd want to trade.

Now, there will be a group that are good customers/friends. They are all getting screwed because they are waiting for guns. Some more than one. Some more than 3,4... some have waited a long time. Some have similar problems. They know darned well I'm not faking a miserly lifestyle in the vines and bushes of Florida.

I doubt this will help. But it's 100% truth. And, I keep working. If you want to just keep hoping I'll go belly up or face down ... keep watching. But all you are really wishing for is that nobody gets the projects I've begun for them. For the readers who have followed, supported, prayed for, and remained friends; you have my heartfelt sincere thank You.

God Bless this group that "could be" an enjoyable support group of friends.
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2018 07:22PM by barnespneumatic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021