Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 45 Alpine

45 Alpine
October 06, 2008 07:51PM
In 4-2000, I made completed the 45 Alpine

Alpine.jpg

It's an approx. 550 fpe 45 muzzle loader.

Alpine recvr..jpg

It has quite alot of detail

Alpine Stock.jpg

The stock features deep relief carving. It also has a thumb rail on the right side, and grips very comfortably. It's a nice long range target rifle.

8_72alpine_rcvr_engraving.jpg

The steel receiver was single point engraved.

Alpine carving.jpg

The gun features double acting, double set triggers. I also carved the brass trigger housing cover.

Alpine details.jpg

More detail ...

Hope you liked seeing it.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2009 11:00PM by Jerry.
Re: Gary's Photos 2
October 10, 2008 12:13AM
It's a beast, too. That's 140 grain roundball over the chrony below. Oh yeah -- you can muzzleload three of 'em at once, and they fuse together on impact. smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2008 12:15AM by Jim.
alpine_chrono_1040.jpg
October 10, 2008 12:41AM
Jerry ... he's at it again.

Ah Jim ... we need that Smilechtomy. yawning smiley
October 10, 2008 12:48AM
You should really lock your threads...
October 10, 2008 02:16AM
2 Tru
December 09, 2008 07:56PM
Hey, you can't fault a man for being the proud owner of that Alpine .45. It is an awsome creation!
December 09, 2008 07:58PM
Welcome aboard Karl!

Gary's just jealous. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

-- Jim
December 10, 2008 12:17AM
Hello Karl! Welcome.

Yeah ... Jim's got all the toys ...

winking smiley

Gary
December 19, 2008 04:13AM
So does it shoot as good as it looks? Take a look.

smoking smiley

-- Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2008 04:17AM by Jim.
March 27, 2009 11:11AM
That Alpine has quite a crack to it... I take it the recoil isn't all that bad? Didn't look like much from the vid. Beautiful rifle...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 27, 2009 11:23AM
It sure does. I'll defer to some of the other guys here, but the Alpine is probably the loudest of Gary's rifles I've shot (and I'm including the Yukon, Carnivore, Chief Justice, etc.). It REALLY barks with a single roundball @ 1040 fps. The Carnivore might be second loudest . . . the Justice is surprisingly quiet!

Just my .02 . . .

-- Jim
February 25, 2010 11:35PM
Dug up a couple more pics . . .

gary_alpine_peepsight.jpg

Gary at the bench with the Alpine 45, December 2007. This was our first range session with the rifle since I'd taken ownership of it.

alpine_bench.jpg

On the bench in fading light. Same range session as above.

gary_tweaking_alpine_closeu.jpg

Gary tweaking the multi-aperture peep sights. This is from February 2008, I believe.

triple_shock.jpg

The end result of three .454" Hornady roundballs simultaneously impacting a steel plate @ 50 yards. As you can see, two fused together on impact. The third impacted about 9" away from the fused pair.

sharp_shooter.jpg

Shooting targets off my knee @ 100+ yards using a puny 4x Simmons "Barnes Special" Turkey Federation shotgun scope. Yes -- I could actually hit stuff at this distance.

alpine_full_800wide.jpg

"Glamour Shot" at Gary's shop.

gary_filling_alpine.jpg

"First fill" -- checking to see if it'll hold air. This was right after I'd bought it . . . probably November 2007 I believe.

gary_alpine_inbox.jpg

"First fire" -- everything was in perfect order after seven years of sitting untouched in a display case.

alpine_left_detail.jpg

Detail -- left side of receiver section. I see new stuff everytime I look at this rifle. The amount of detail is staggering. Well done, Gary. thumbs up

alpine_journal.jpg

Gary's original shop notes on the construction of the rifle along with a new, updated note regarding the in-shop testing.

gary_alpine.jpg

Another "Glamour Shot" which didn't make the cut -- for obvious reasons. More sad

I really, really love this rifle. It's a 530 fpe work of art!

-- Jim

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2010 12:03AM by admin.
February 25, 2010 11:49PM
One more thing . . . the Alpine 45's "official page" is here.

-- Jim
February 26, 2010 12:35AM
OK Jim ... how much do you want to stop posting those "ax job" pics of myself? Green bowing I mean ... I'm developing self-image problems here. winking smiley

Guess you want it reassembled now .... hummmm.

I've been concentrating closely on four main pcs. 4 Nitro Express rifles in 45 (with two of them farther along). One Yukon in 62 (Jerry has graciously agreed to let me just get it firing - and he'll play with it unfinished for awhile - while I work on other orders). I appreciate it. One 58 insert. Closely behind are one Tundra 45 that's very far along. One Hossette 45, a Ranger 32, and a 30 cal. bench rifle. Those are balanced on the peak ... with a dozen others right up there which include a pump gun, Chameleons, a Liberty and some Heritage work. pushingarock

I haven't showed much in the way of additional works in progress ... because I just can't show what I make and detail the parts. Can't show the parts without showing the ..... parts. Way to many things are too far along for generic photos.

Oh ... right ... the Alpine. It's re-blued and needs to be reassembled along with a Nitro Express in the shop for repair.

Gary
February 26, 2010 12:57AM
Actually, I was just looking through the Gallery and felt like I could add to what's here. I think I have even more Alpine pics if I look for them. But sure, it'll be great to have it back. smileys with beer

-- Jim
February 26, 2010 04:56PM
That guns sure is PURDY. And powerful to boot. Hats off to GB. I saw that YOUTUBE video on it and that gun is super loud....i love it.

But...uhhhhhh....yeahhhh....GARY, YOU GOTTA STAY OUT OF THEM GLAMOUR PICS MAN. Guns only PLEASE!!!....LOL
February 26, 2010 08:38PM
KP
June 26, 2010 09:13PM
Gary,
Is the Alpine model a one of a kind or did you build more than one? Or do you still have orders on the ledger for the Alpine? Just courious.
Thanks
June 26, 2010 10:36PM
Hello,

It was a one off.

I have things in the same class - but not an Alpine on the books. Today, the Grizzly and Caribou take that sort of spot.

Gary
Anonymous User
July 11, 2010 01:15AM
One of the most beautiful rifle's ever. Powder burner or not.db
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021