Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Classic and Smooth as Silk - Really fine Barlow Folder For SALE

BARLOW Folder NOW SOLD bowing
November 18, 2014 11:38PM
This is an exceptional Barlow. It's smooth as silk. Everything is correct, if you know the points to check for on a custom pocket knife.

I just want to remind you. The availability of these special extra pcs., and the undervalued cost scale; will not continue as BPN is settled and we stagger out of the jungle into fresh air here. If you see something you like, and can afford it without hurting yourself - then this is the time.

There are so many special features of this fine Barlow. We can discuss them if you like.
This one has high carbon tool steel blade and spring. It's $775, and a real value for that. PM, Open text, contact me. First come.

Gary

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2015 10:26PM by barnespneumatic.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
November 19, 2014 01:38PM
Beautiful knife Gary, could you please share with us the knife over all length and blade length.

Thanks
November 19, 2014 03:07PM
Hi Julio,

Sorry - I always forget.

It is roughly 9 cm - 3 1/2" long closed. 15.5 cm - 6 1/16" with blade open. Blade is 6.5 cm - 2 9/16".

Guess that makes it perfect! wow

Gary
November 19, 2014 03:16PM
Gary,

For my personal education, which are the points that we need to check for on a custom pocket knife?

thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2014 03:35PM by Julio.
November 19, 2014 03:52PM
Hello Julio,

I will gladly do that. I'll mostly refer to folding knives, as that's what ive been making.

1. Blade should be well ground.
A). Symmetrical one side to the other
cool smiley. Grind lines straight
C). Grind lines clean and crisp
D). Blade rotates freely through its range if motion
E). Blade is well centered in the case - straight when viewed from the point.
ee). Preference and mechanism can have minor effect on the most strict observation here.
(Some mechanisms like auto, flip opens, side loaded spring designs, may be intentionally set more loose for easy open, and effect strict at rest center)
F). Uniform and Controlled "Hamon". This is the visible temper line or cellular effect on differentially heat treated blades. It should incorporate a proper width of the cutting edge.
G). Well sharpened edge. Functional and uniform. Proper heat treat for the chosen steel and usage.
H). Clean Ricasso area. (The flat between blade bevels and the bolster when blade is open).
I). Well executed signature, name stamp, etching. Clean, uniform, fitting the style of the knife. Not distracting.

These are just a few things as related the blade itself. There are perhaps a hundred more as regards other aspects of the knife. These are things that I live by as I make and put my name on this work. Most buyers will not be aware of a tenth of these. That is why the 40 year reputation and Master Bladesmith certification means something. That is why these knives have been an extreme value.

Ill write more at another time.

Thanks for asking Julio.
Gary
November 22, 2014 09:26PM
Hello Gary,

Thanks for sharing some of points as to how knives are rated. That sure is a lot of points and you mentioned only a few?

A very interesting craft, Master Bladesmith.

Thanks for sharing your current works! Very Nice work!

Pedro
November 22, 2014 11:02PM
Hello Pedro,

I wasn't joking. I could give you a hundred more on just pocket knives.

Haven't had time to do so. Fighting this die I showed. I had issues with my first roll, things I should have recalled from 20 years ago and did not. Now I'm correcting and trying to save a great pc. of work.

I'm sure you have experienced the same. Every professional reading now, has too. It's impossible to convincingly recite all of the reasons why your work should be respected. It's impossible to bring every interested gentleman up to date, one at a time; regarding each of the things you made certain were correct .... and why they are correct. There is simply no doubt that we are the product of our decisions. I decided I'd made 1,300 knives, and I wanted to pursue an amazing Challenge - that of handmade large caliber airguns. So, I did that.

And ... Here I am ... back making knives. laughing

Thanks for posting Perdro.

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2014 05:20AM by barnespneumatic.
November 23, 2014 04:30AM
Funny isn't it, how huge trees can come from such a tiny seed? The hemlock up here can get up to 150 feet tall, but the cones are only about an inch long.
Sal
November 19, 2014 04:53PM
Someone better buy this soon or I will!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2014 04:54PM by Sal.
November 20, 2014 01:39AM
image.jpg

image.jpg

Close- ups of both bolsters. I intended to take these before. Hope you like the style and execution. I like it a lot. Which would mean, I'd use this type of accent again. So; if it makes you happy, that would be nice to know. If enough of you said it made you ill - I'd have to consider something else. Pipe smoker

This is one of those instances where conversation would clarify various things. Do you enjoy seeing complete finely built pcs. like this? Would you rather see examples barely recognizable as pocket knives? Perhaps nice "post apocalyptic" style, made with a hacksaw blade and Paracord? We here at BPS await your direction. We have no mind of our own ... Green bowing

Gary
November 20, 2014 05:35AM
Love the engraving, are the pine cones representative of the ones dropping on your head at BPSouth?more confused
November 21, 2014 05:48AM
Hi Sean,

Yes - exactly. We have "Long Leaf Pines". Straight and tall. Branches and Long Needles 50-70 feet up. This is the season for the Pine Cones. I enjoy them.

Good thing we don't have Sequoia. Those cones are about 15" long and 8-9" in diameter. Ours run about 5 by 3".

thumbs up

Gary
Sal
November 20, 2014 11:46AM
That is a very very nice looking knife Gary, I love it, engraving and all. If that design was incorporated into an air gun at some point I'm sure it would look great as well.
November 24, 2014 12:02PM
Hey Gary
Another fine knife ! In case you didn't get me a Christmas present yet , you could put a bow on it and stick that in my sock while your out flying around . Ho Ho HO
December 02, 2014 09:32PM
Hi Kurt,
Thanks for the suggestion!
thumbs up
Gary
Re: BARLOW Folder For SALE
December 11, 2014 08:14PM
Re: BARLOW Folder For SALE bullhorn
June 25, 2015 02:59PM
Gary
Since you can't put in my Christmas stocking .... And CHRISTMAS is so far away I'll take that Barlow . I have been coveting it for almost a year now and can't believe the detail of Pine cones let alone all the other fine points you mentioned . I have had my other Barnes knife with dragon etched in blade over a year and STILL haven't had to sharpen it .Its in my pocket all day every day and used . Plus I can brag to guys and girls I see . I would like to say I'll give it to my son as a present but once I get it in my hands it's hard to let go .
I can see the collector value but the usability factor is way beyond keeping it hide away !
I'll take it

Thanks
Kurt
June 25, 2015 10:24PM
You are a good man Kurt!

I was just saying .... ah .... we need more men like Kurt! And this green Florida Lizard looked up at me as if to say ... "Who's Kurt?" Guy in Michigan ... You know ... Kurt! Ahhhhhh .... Lizard left. Might show up there ....

Kurt, I appreciate it. That knife has baffled me. I thought it would sell inside 24hrs. Especially when I've let it known terms can be flexible. I think that's actually the finest Barlow I've ever made. Thing is perfect. I sincerely hope you enjoy it for the next hundred years, then let your Son take over.

Have you ever had to adjust the Cam in your Model 97? Still tight?

Ok. It's yours.

I'm going to cast your mold for testing. Got another to cast too. Might not get shots fired til Sat. Dr. trip tomorrow. And an Anniversary Lunch out - 26 years. She has the patience of Job.

Blessings to your Family Kurt,
Gary
June 26, 2015 05:59PM
Congrats on 26 years . That's a good long time for any one .
My 25 anniversary was june 16 this year . ( Silver Anniversary) I told my wife it was blued steel and wood ! She ain't buyin it though. We had ribeye steaks from a restaurant here that has a carside to go option. It was very enjoyable . My wife has also put up with a lot from me and if I had it to do over it would be exactly the same . I always say that she is tuff as woodpecker lips . A lot of good camping trips ( not campgrounds) into national forest with a tent . Bathing in freezing trout streams for a week at a time was a first for her .
We both have a lot of good years ahead too !

Thanks
Kurt
June 27, 2015 04:27AM
Hi Kurt,
Good Comments.
Kelly is a keeper. Hehe. Always has my back.
We had a Drs. Appt today. As reality has worked out in Fla., each of us pretty much has a different Doc for each pill, and none are close. It's life. But it all involves travel.
While out, we had our Anniversary Lunch along side the Sound between Navarre and the Gulf Side Beach. For you Land Lubbers ... A "Sound" is the narrow body of water between the Mainland and a Barrier Island. This one is about a mile wide. Then there is Occaloosa Island across the bridge, Navarre Beach over on the Gulf.
We found a BBQ place. Big building with high ceilings. Had "Fried Pickles" for an appetizer. Yumm.
Did some errands afterwards. Ended with getting some groceries and back home. Good Day.
Back in the shop tomorrow. Oh ... My materials arrived today - UPS. Yay.
Gary
Re: BARLOW Folder NOW SOLD bowing
June 26, 2015 09:31AM
Hi Gary,
It's nice to see that beautiful piece sold. Kurt is a smart man!
Congrats on the anniversary too, have a nice lunch out.
Later,
Jeff
June 26, 2015 11:50AM
Hi Kurt,

Congrats for buying this beautiful pocket knife. I'm sure that you will enjoy carrying it and showing it to your family and friends.

julio
June 26, 2015 03:39PM
Thanks guys
I always carry a pocket knife and wasn't much of a Barlow guy but I do have an old one in my tackle box. The pine cones really caught my attention. Growing up in Michigan the Pine cones were everywhere and all were different . Those look kinda like an Austrian pinecone before opening up . The contrast with black and stainless sets if off and I was wondering how it was achieved or how it will hold up . It's very crisp and I would hate to lose the pop factor . The model 97 (aluminum ) hasn't gotten any looser and haven't needed cam adjusted. It has a lot of pocket fuzz caught in it and I did use the WD40 blast as suggested and it helped .

Well gotta go !

Thanks
Kurt
Anonymous User
September 23, 2015 11:04PM
Beautiful blade.
BARLOW Folder NOW SOLD bowing
October 15, 2015 04:04AM
-- moved topic --

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2015 10:26PM by barnespneumatic.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021