Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Groups of Barnes gunz

Groups of Barnes gunz
April 08, 2009 09:57PM
In some conversations lately, folks have mentioned the possibility of seeing groups of Barnes guns together, in one spot. I thought I'd dig up some pics I know I have somewhere.

I'll edit and add to this as I find them.

These were from a customer sponsored pistol shoot.

4pistols.jpeg

The one on the left is the 45 caliber Hoss, the other three are Victory 32's. Stainless on Stainless, Brass on Stainless, and Blue on Blue. All three Victory were shrouded.

four_pistols.jpeg

The Hoss .... definitely NOT shrouded!!! excited

Hunting for more while I take a break.

Gary

Found this quicker than I thought ..... it's a group of guns from a private shoot a customer sponsored a few years back. These were the customer owned Barnes guns that showed up.

group_airguns.jpeg

Top to Bottom:

Nautilus 32
Chaparral 25
Victory 32
Appaloosa 32
Justice 87
Victory 32 in carbine stock
Victory 32 in pistol stock
Maverick 25 carbine mag.
Nebula 25

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2009 10:07PM by barnespneumatic.
April 08, 2009 10:24PM
Sweet!
April 09, 2009 02:09AM
I like the looks of that brass and stainelss combo. "Gold" and "silver" do go together well....

whistling (*plans heist*)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 09, 2009 02:22AM
I think the next combo I'd like to see is aluminum-bronze, stainless steel and blued steel.... smiling bouncing smiley

Lots of great looking guns there. So many others hidden away by folks who just won't take and post a picture!
April 09, 2009 04:11AM
Roose, my wife agrees about the brass and stainless combo, but she would have to put a hurtin' on you if you come for it.

Gary, great find!!! That's a whole bunch of Barnes there. I'm curious, what is the greatest number of Barnes guns assembled in one place? You don't have to reveal anyone's collection, just wondering about the number. I can't imagine you have had more than a couple at the shop at any one time.

I'm so glad Gary doesn't like to repeat his creations. Who would believe these are the work of one man...oh I forgot he does have all those elves who show up at night. laughing again I got a chuckle from my Precision Shooting magazine when discussing Ludwig Wundhammer, a "Custom Sporting Rifle Maker" 1854 -1919. He took Springfield 1903's reduce the barrel diameter, bevel the receiver fore and aft and carve a stock with checkering. Now I'm sure these are fine guns, but when the day is done it was a mass produced action and barrel not what one could call the work of one man. I'd think the more appropriate title would be Customizer not Custom Rifle Maker. I think one would have a real hard time picking up the Nautilus and Chaparral and convincing someone that they were made by the some person. These two were even make contemporaneously. I wouldn't even begin to contrast/ compare his earlier works with newer creations, it would take....how many years now Gary?

Thanks Gary,

Kent
April 09, 2009 03:30PM
Thanks Kent,

Always nice to read comments from someone that "gets it". smileys with beer

For my entire life, I've read captions and articles, which go into elaborate explainations of the "evolution" of any given craftsman's work. Always follows some absurd string of minor, barely observable changes, over decades of work.

A quick story. I flew to Anaheim, Calif. for a knife show ... probably 25 years ago. Walking down a hallway behind a well known collector of a well known maker's work; I listened to him speaking to another gentleman. In the most glowing terms of praise, I heard him tell the other man; that his favorite knife maker had made the most amazing refinement to his work. "You know how the spine of the handle flows back, and then makes that sharp downward/forward angle?" The other guy says "yeah". (What wasn't said was ... "you mean like the other ten thousand he's made..?"). Well, the collector goes on, enraptured by the news he had to share .... "Well, he's rounded that off!"

My face went limp. It's good I was following them, so they didn't notice me stopping to beat my head on the wall. I must have read fifty articles about the amazing work of this maker. One who hired a new "brilliant" assistant every few years (who did all the work). While they cranked out the most boring string of "amazing work" I'd ever witnessed. And, the writers would fall all over themselves finding absurd minor details to point out as innovation. The guy took a sharp corner ... and rounded it off. "Brilliant!!!"

For my entire career, I've baffled and confounded the writers who were disgusted that I didn't have a boring string of minor changes for them to chronicle. I'd do "antique" and "star wars" at the same time. Do anything BUT make the same thing over and over. Customers could not find one
individual mental image of my work to put on their mental chart of makers. They wanted one "look" to pigeon hole each maker. Simplified life. But - I'd come up with an entire new family of knives, each show. When I'd get invited to submit photos of my work to "price guides" and "yearly digests" ... they'd ask for simplistic check lists of information that didn't apply to the vast variety of work I produced.

And so ... I've always had to find buyers who "get it". I still have so many ideas, that sometimes it clouds my mind as they jocky for top conscious position. I just have to write them down ... sketch them out sometimes ... or loose them. No time to make them, as I'm making copies of ideas I had ten years ago. And so ... once in awhile ... when the machines are set up ... I drop in a component, and make a part to lay back on one of my ideas. Trouble is .... before I can assemble the whole thing .... I will have had five more great ideas.

People will either find it fascinating, or be annoyed because they think I'm bragging. I think there's a difference between a craftsman, and an artist (who happens to also be a craftsman). The "craftsman" makes the work that will fit the charts. You see a pc., from a football field away ... and you know it's his. (Cause they all look the same!). It will show a slow "progression" of minor changes through the years/decades. They just don't have the flood of ideas presented to the artist. The "artist", on the other hand, would love nothing more than to be free to create his ideas. He is, however; always encumbered by the works in progress; produced to pay the bills and fill obligations made to good people who are waiting for the projects to be completed.

It's fun to look back on groups of work. There's never more than about eight or ten in any given place. They are scattered to the winds, and most are just hidden away. That's why I value the opportunities to see them being used, and enjoyed. Funny ... I'm sure that many of those that are hidden away, are enjoyed too. Enjoyed knowing they are "there" - safe - secret. But, I get no feedback on them. It's as if they've died. It's as if I completed them, and then tossed them over a cliff into the ocean. So; when groups of owners get together to shoot them, and enjoy them ... that's quite special. I enjoy it (if I'm not so busy running here and there, answering questions, and thus miss the whole thing ... haha).

OK ... I see I've rambled on. Back to work.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2009 07:16PM by barnespneumatic.
April 09, 2009 04:18PM
I've got 3 Barnes guns in the house and at some point I'll have 5. Not one of them will be remotely similar to any other beside basic operation. That's cool. I don't know if I get it or if I have a problem but my favorites are always the last one built and the next one in work! I've never quite understood the fellows that go find a gun they like and then buy near identical guns in every caliber...seems awful boring to me.
April 09, 2009 07:06PM
Hi Jerry,

Of course ... you "get it". If not ... you'd never have bought those oddball designs, or be interested in hearing about the newest idea. smileys with beer I'd suggest you compare your Prairie 3 to your Maverick Carbine Mag. Night and Day.

Gary
April 09, 2009 07:18PM
Sorry. I just corrected a couple of typos above, and completed a few of the thoughts. Made a few sentences flow better, and added a small bit of content.

Thanks.

Gary
April 10, 2009 03:44PM
the Wife and I have had this conversation soooooo many times. Just substitute "fine art" for "air guns" and youve heard our discussion.

Part of it is, the market's expectation. Part of it is people's life experience. A big part, you simply cant define.....

Just remember, the WORST thing for an artist is for the viewer to just shrug their shoulders and not comment. THAT drives the wife nuts. Hate her love her work, but to appear to be un affected by it..... that gets her going.
April 09, 2009 06:19PM
Jerry,

I can feel Gary about to burst wanting to tell us about all the internals that aren't "similar". Look at some of the seemingly simple changes even just "front fill" vs "rear fill" , forward vs rearward hammer throw, straight action vs angled, shrouded vs nonshrouded, cylinder vs flask reservoir, and those all seen on the table above. I'm no engineer, funny Gary isn't either, but those are huge changes/challenges which have to be overcome to make these different models, not just I'll take a mahogany vs walnut stock.

Here's a game Jerry, I'd bet it's easy for you to pick two of your guns and give twenty design differences between them. Design and not just stainless vs blued reservoir. Then I'd bet Gary can list twenty more without breaking a sweat!

I'll be back with my entry: Chief Justice vs Rondezvous 45/58/08.

Kent
April 09, 2009 07:04PM
This should be fun. Can't wait to see. thumbs up

That 45/58/08 .... ah ... made me wish it could be. The 58th day of the 45th month, of 08. Ya see ... if I had that kinda time ... I'd be all caught up and making new ideas. hehehe.

(Actually .... that's a switch barrel, 45/58 caliber of the 08 barrel year/series ... hehe).

Gary
April 10, 2009 03:55AM
Wow Kent, 20? That puts me on the spot doesn't it? You couldn't have said 5 or 10?

OK, here are 20 design differences between the Maverick and the Prairie III:
1. The Maverick has a multiple lever trigger and the P3's is totally different (not going to divulge any particulars here).
2. The Maverick's trigger is single stage and the P3's is a glass/glass two stage.
3. The P3's air tube is forward and the Maverick's is in the butt stock.
4. The P3 has a multi position adjustable hammer throw.
5. The P3 has a 3 position spring pre-load while the Maverick has a continuously adjustable pre-load.
6. The hammer in the Maverick directly strikes the valve stem, the P3's hammer strikes something else.
7. The Maverick is designed to use pressure down below 2000psi while the P3 prefers higher pressure.
8. The valves are different.
9. The Maverick's shroud is attached differently than the welded P3's.
10. The P3 has negative droop.
11. The air intake valves are different internally.
12. The P3 has a butt stock that is adjustable for LOP while the Maverick's is fixed.
13. The P3 is a 3 tube design while the Maverick is a 2 tube design.
14. The P3 has Picatinny rails while the Maverick has 11mm grooves.
15. The Mavericks trigger pulls "up" (to match the shooters hand position) while the P3's trigger pulls "back" to match the pistol grip hand position.
16. The Maverick cocks forward and the P3 cocks back.
17. The P3 has a bolt handle while the Maverick has a knob.
18. The transfer port and loading breech on the Maverick is aft of the trigger and on the P3 both are forward of the trigger.
19. The Maverick is a carbine while the P3 is designed to make you buy a longer case, er...the P3 is a dedicated bench rifle.
20. The P3 has a hidden storage compartment.
21. The Maverick is designed for moderate power and frugal air consumption, the P3 is designed for efficient use of air to make huge power.
22. The Maverick has 2 pieces of wood for its control surfaces and the P3 has 4.
23. Hey, I'm done! There are more differences of course and especially internally but I met the challenge and now it's someone else's turn!
April 10, 2009 11:51PM
April 11, 2009 02:43AM
Ah ... I'm supposed to come up with a list of differences. Hummm. I'm pretty beat up tonight. Better drag my remains downstairs for a cuppa ... if I have to think.

1. Hard color anodized scheme vs. traditional finish
2. Insert valve vs. linear component valve
3. 1" vs. 1 1/4" format
4. Different master thread patterns
5. Angle drilled tower vs. 90 degree tower
6. Cranked dual alloy frame vs. component build
7. 25 cal vs 32 cal.
8. Different valve seal techniques
9. Different valve materials
10. Different component alloys
11. Different rifling
12. Different bolt designs
13. Different balance points
14. Different barrel mount system
15. Different firing systems
16. Different power brackets
17. Bias cut, bookmatched laminate vs. solid blank
18. Modern vs. Classic styling
19. Recoil pad vs. concave butt
20. Sear designs

There ya go. Coffee's about gone ...

Gary
April 11, 2009 02:12AM
Nice job Jerry!!! That's a nice list that I will have to study. Some of the list indicates that you must be an engineer, or very attentive to Gary's pearls. I know you "get it" and Gary appreciates your obvious enthusiasm. Your attention to detail in the list makes this forum all the more fun for fellow get its.

I need to finish up my list else where. Looking at yours reminds me of some I missed, but I'll attempt to not repeat any of yours just to keep it interesting. Actually I'll stick any duplicates of yours at the end as bonus points.

I'll have to ask you about some of yours later.

Thanks for playing,

Kent
April 09, 2009 07:31PM
? think ? will have two Barnes airguns. one is ofcouse YUKON(45) and an other will be woodsman(32) 1 will wait my order line. at last I will have!!! Maybe after 1 year or 2 years. I will wait. whistlingmore innocent. always I trust Gary's guns.

Ali (ERTOGRUL)
April 09, 2009 10:39PM
Ertogrul,
In case you have misunderstood anything I've ever said to you. I expect it will be at least 1-2 years before Gary even considers taking another order for those guns. If he ever takes another order, period. I hope I and any language barrier have not led you to the idea that you can get the guns you want in a couple years. I suggest you make sure you know what you want and if Gary ever opens the ledger again, you jump in with both feet. Then again, Gary may decide not to open the ledger and you would then want to watch and see if he offers a gun that is of a new design that you find appealing.
April 10, 2009 02:31PM
Jerry,

I believe that I have not got luck about Gary's guns. Always, I have to imagine and wacth remotly. Just I have pictures of guns and watch them. Because I live in Cyprus. It is too hard to have this guns. But, I want to have got these guns more and more. If I want to have somthings, I try every ways to have it.

Thanks
Ertogrul
April 10, 2009 03:11PM
There are no guns. I do not even have one for myself. And, I want one too.

If you gave me a million dollars today, I could not give you a finished rifle. They do not exist.

I finish guns for people who are already waiting for them to be finished. They ordered them many years ago, and I have been making their orders. When they are finished, I send them to the owners.

What I need is: more time, less distractions, and better health. Even if I had these, there would only be a very, very small number of my guns. That is part of what makes them unique. There are other big bore airguns. There are commercial guns made in Korea. They are sold by airgun dealers on the internet, that you can find on Google. There are only a small number of Barnes guns, because there is only one of me to build them.

I'm glad you like the guns. I hope you can enjoy seeing them shown here. I've worked since 1974, to make all of the professional products I've sold. Sometimes they can be found used. That does not mean I will have the time to correct them, if they need something. I can do normal maintenance on them. I must charge for this, because things like changing O rings through an entire gun, means I have to take the whole gun apart. However; when people want to have things sanded, re-blued, re-finished, etc., it takes me a very, very long time to do it. So, buy carefully. And buy from an honest person.

Best,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2009 03:22PM by barnespneumatic.
April 10, 2009 04:46PM
That group of rifles is awesome!
I would gladly have any one (or two!) of them take a bow
April 10, 2009 05:10PM
Me too!

I surely would love to have one of those; but if I could live in such a world where I could choose one, it'll be one of the hardest decisions...

Well, I think I could live with such decisions wink
April 10, 2009 06:42PM
a really nice thing to see a group , all the same , and all so different , the quality shows through all the variations in design , really they are all the same , each a small work of art in its own space, and they are so differnt in form style and function.
i guess on the knife issue , its easy to show some one how to do something , just not as easy to teach them why.
regards
tom.
April 11, 2009 05:38AM
GARY,

Thank you for your explations. I understand you, what you mean. I know the Korea's guns which name is Samyang. They are powerfull but, they are not looks like your guns. I like your guns design(Appaloosa, Tundra) and power(Yukon II). So, if you are not have the time to make guns, we can not do anything. I think and accept that your life is most important than our guns and hobbies for us. Because we need your expriences.I try to find used Barnes guns which is you can get approval for used guns. So, I try to find in USA and you can see guns very easly in USA. If you hear to sombody want to sell their's gun, please you announce them in this website for us. Maybe you can create a topic in this website to see sold airguns.

Sir, You are very honest person.

Thanks for everythings.

Best,
Ertogrul
April 11, 2009 09:55AM
Gary, the way you keep dropping info on all the things in your head yet unmade, I'd like nothing better than to pick your brain, even if only for an hour. It will certainly be interesting to see what new things you come up with in the future.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 22, 2009 06:22PM
Found another Pic I've always liked.

2JusticeWoodsman.jpg

Left to Right: Chief Justice 87 caliber Smoothy, Woodsman 62 Smoothy, Justice 87 Smoothy

From a Miss. hunting trip a couple of years ago. Nice memory.

Gary
April 22, 2009 07:12PM
.87 calibre !!

Have you ever done/been tempted to go for the full 1.0 calibre??!!

Nice looking guns thumbs up

( stop getting your e and r mixed up at the end of words like calibre, naughty colonial.....rolling happy smiley)
April 22, 2009 07:43PM
By Golly! Do you Brits STILL have your knickers in a twist over that little dust up back in 1775? grinning smiley

Let's see ... tempted? Yes. However; I'm just a feeble old man. The recoil might break me in half.

laughing again

take a bow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2009 07:45PM by barnespneumatic.
April 22, 2009 07:45PM
Yeah, you really need a young guy to test out that huge bore stuff. Be nice if someone would volunteer to help out with such a project. smoking smiley

-- Jim
April 22, 2009 09:30PM
barnespneumatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> By Golly! Do you Brits STILL have your knickers
> in a twist over that little dust up back in 1775?
> grinning smiley
>

What, didn't we politely leave....? whistling surrender laughing again
April 23, 2009 01:10AM
Gary, Great find! I looked at the pic and it reminded me of looking at a pic of my three brothers and me the last time we were all together many years ago! No, I'm not kidding. Just a feeling of familiarity. Looking at creations cut from the same cloth yet all so different. Been away to long, got to give the guys a ring.

Thanks Gary!

Kent
April 23, 2009 02:07AM
Thanks Kent,

Porch light's always on. ;?)

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 31
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021