Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: New Pocket Knife FOR SALE bullhorn

New Pocket Knife NOW SOLD Thanks!! bowing
June 22, 2015 02:21AM
Great smooth Classic Pocket Knife. Barnes cut and dyed cow shin bone - turned out like "Cookies and Cream" in color. Stainless blade and spring. Blade shows differential heat treat "Hamon" pattern, along the edge in reflected light. Relieved interior so blade tang runs on trunion bearing surfaces - smoother and saves Ricasso scratching. File Art Spine. Signature engraved Logo. Brass case and bolsters. Raised Domed Rivets. A Classic. Remember, these features and my 40 year Rep. don't just happen. $550 plus postage/ins.

Reply here for fastest snag or PM.

This Fine Handmade Pocketknife has NOW BEEN SOLD!! Thank You So Much!! bowing

Gary

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2015 04:07AM by barnespneumatic.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Re: New Pocket Knife for Sale
June 22, 2015 04:30AM
Picture 4 is looking down inside the knife. There is a recess in the spine spring. In that area, I engraved my name. Easily seen by looking into the case. Sides of the case inside, are engraved with Serial #, Date, Signature, and BPS.

I have pics of the inside liners. Maybe later. I wanted to get it on the site.

Gary
June 22, 2015 06:23PM
Ricasso, trunion ,hammon , tang . Shin bone from cow , spine ! Cookies and cream ( I'm hungry )
Wow I'm not much of a knife collector Gary but the terminology is overwhelming. I'm sure there is a lot more too but .... That is a beauty of a knife .
There is a new new show starting in television here called (The Forge ) I guess I'll be learning some hopefully from watching but ...You are the man !

Thanks
Kurt
June 23, 2015 01:12AM
Hi Kurt,

Thanks.

Hamon is the visible pattern created in the steel during heat treating. If you know how, you can control what steel gets harder and what stays somewhat softer (and thus tougher). There is a transition line between the hardness boundaries.

This is the blade of the next folder that will be finished. The two pics are taken at the exact same time. First shows that it is mirror polished. BUT; in a slightly different light - the micro scratches from polishing ... and the "Hamon" are visible. I know most folks won't appreciate what I build into my knives. Hopefully my Master Bladesmith's rating speaks that the knives are made with extraordinary care. Controlling the line to produce uniform hardness, is difficult. This was NOT done with a clay mask. It was controlled by the application of the quenching temperature.

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2015 01:16AM by barnespneumatic.
image.jpg
image.jpg
June 24, 2015 01:21AM
Beautiful knife Gary!
If I didn't already have one of your knives very similar to this one, I would be purchasing it now.
I guess I'll have to see what other treasures you have posted today!

Scott
Re: New Pocket Knife NOW SOLD Thanks!! bowing
July 27, 2015 04:11AM
We have NOW SOLD this Pocketknife. Many, many thanks. bowing

It will be here for the next couple hundred years. Will become Great, Great, Great Grandfather's Knife. I GUARANTEE you that nobody is going to throw this away. thumbs up

Gary
August 07, 2015 09:12PM
Gary,
People talk about exceeding expectations, but wow! Yesterday I received this knife in the mail just as my computer went crazy. Now the computer is back up and I can tell you how pleased I am with this pocket knife. It is simply amazing and the (seriously) most beautiful knife I have ever seen. The pictures above do not do it justice at all. It is not my first custom built knife, and I have a couple of nice ones, but it's fit and finish are flawless and the brass and matching scales are a wonderful combination! I know you said Julio's knife is 'perfect,' and if it is and this one isn't you have mighty high standards indeed. Thank you very much for the work you put into it, but not for the conumdrum: do I carry it or not. Well, I have to, so consider it in my pocket!
Thanks much,
Jeff
August 08, 2015 04:23AM
Thank You very much Jeff,

For supporting an old Codger in the Brush of Florida's Panhandle, and for writing up a nice note upon receiving your Pocketknife. For a knife like that one, I used to make up a glove leather pouch with a snap on it, and a leather thong of folded and sewn leather .... then a snap on the end of the leather. I'd pass that around my belt or belt loop, and the leather thong only showed about an inch before it went into my pocket. I know ... I should make them. But ... they are another of a thousand things that are simply not worth the time it takes to make them, I go for years without a pocketknife or sheath or pouch ... simply because I can't afford to take the time to make one for myself! Criminal Abuse of an Elder!!!! Poor ME!!!! hahaha.

But, there you go ... that is the way to carry it and enjoy it, without counting on the flimsy cotton trouser pocket liner material.

Enjoy. That bone will just get better and better with age. It will start getting translucent as it yellows.

Thanks Jeff,
Gary
August 08, 2015 12:49PM
Jeff
I'm glad your are going to use your new knife . Every Barnes I own I have used and carry . They are in every way a more durable knife than I have ever carried. The only thing I don't do any more is when people ask me to use my knife , I tell them No but I will cut whatever you need cut . The last knife I loaned to a guy I was workin with , the guy used it to scrape paint off steel to get a good ground for welding!! The knife was a kershaw 22 cal that looked like a small derringer and I retired it after that .

Gary so those scales will turn a different colors? I know dad used to smoke pipes and he had meerschaum that changed as the years of smoking went on. What makes the bone change ?Maybe the oils in your skin ?? Or is it just the aging process ? Do you also have to stabilize the bone scales like the burls ? Ok enough questions .
Thanks for schoolin

Thanks
Kurt
August 08, 2015 04:27PM
Hi Kurt,

It's oxidation. Just from the atmosphere, yes; and prolly oils from handling. All natural materials mellow.

No, bone is very dense. Totally unlike wood. So far as workability and durability, bone is an 8. Wood is a 3. Stabilizing the wood brings it up to a 5/6. Just my experience.

Natural materials are warm and touch the soul, but the softer ones are always moving with atmospheric changes and age. Stabilization helps that a lot, keeping the warmth.

Gary
August 08, 2015 06:12PM
Hey Gary,
That's not fair telling me about the pouch and all... Actually, unfortunately, I can't picture in my mind the design you made mention of. I am right handy with leather, so I could probably make me one if you would add an old pic or a sketch.

Hey Kurt,
Thanks for the comment. Yep, it was a tough decision, but this knife just begs to be carried. It also fits the hand really well and begs to be used. Gary teased me with the pouch information and it especially hurts since I already - just once - forgot which knife was in my pocket and dumped my (way to heavy) key ring in on top of it! Er!! As soon as I heard it hit I realized what I had done and carefully fished the keys back out and hung them on my belt where they belonged in the first place. The knife is still in my pocket, but I am learning to be more careful before I put anything else in there. I don't mind the patina that it will collect, but there is no excuse for simple abuse! Alarm, alarm, alert, alert step away from the knife...

Later Guys,
Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021