Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bison at the Range

Bison at the Range
April 21, 2009 04:13PM
Looking thru more older files. Came across this range test from a Bison 58.

gary.jpg

This rifle was set up with open sights. It so happens that I can see like an eagle at distance.

Kelly.jpg

Kelly was my helper and photographer this day.

1can.jpg

I set out a full can of soda. QUITE an impact

hydroshock.jpg

QUITE a bit of hydroshock there. Just ripped the can to shreds.

impact.jpg

Note the exact IMPACT point. Preserved in the aluminum shreds. That was amazing.

phonehome.jpg

Then, I moved the target waaay out. I actually had to "phone home" back to the bench to make adjustments, and have Kelly take a telephoto pic of me over there on the hill.

203yds.jpg

And, here was the result. A nice group of Barnes 469 grain slugs - at 203 yards by laser, and with open sights.

203bullet.jpg

Look how the bullet flew the 203 yards, penetrated the hard backer OSB board, and STILL split the 2 by 4 support post.

Gary
Re: Bison at the Range
April 21, 2009 04:33PM
This gun has power... good shots for 203 yards. what is the FPE for this gun Gary?
April 21, 2009 05:41PM
203 yards !!!!!!smiling bouncing smiley
Open sights!!! excited

An air rifle that can shoot out to 203 yards, open sights is just plain amazing (shooter doing his part as well!!whistling)

Beggars the question, 'how far will it shoot well??'

Suberb, just superb..... take a bow

The praise continues to roll in Gary. I'm gonna have to start looking real close to find fault somewhere, otherwise your beard is gonna look real small on that big head of yours....surrenderthumbs up
April 21, 2009 06:06PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks.

It's somewhere around 600 fpe I guess. Depends upon the slug you want to shoot, pressure, and a few things. Anyway ... it's "adequate". thumbs up

I don't know the extreme range. I don't have access to extreme distance to test. I'm sort of like the guy building surf boards in Kansas ya know.

take a bow coffee

Gary
April 21, 2009 07:19PM
Yeah, I remember that one. Open sights @ 203 yards. That's just plain ridiculous. thumbs up

-- Jim
April 21, 2009 07:46PM
Hi Jim,

Well, ya know I've got this herd of Bison in the shop now. As I let them out ... we'll have to do some more long range stuff. That'll be fun.

shooter

Gary
April 21, 2009 10:18PM
I nominate Jim to set up the targets...wayyyyy out there! more innocent
April 22, 2009 02:14AM
We'll need a golf cart now .... haha. whistling

Gary
April 22, 2009 12:54PM
Yeah, the young guy always gets to do the "fun" jobs. Cart the little wagon of steel targets 175 yards up the hill. Sit out on the tarp under the blazing sun while Gary, Jerry and Bill get a canopy. Set up outside the heated trailer in the freezing cold. It's a picnic. winking smiley

Hey . . . I just noticed that Gary wasn't wearing his "big boy pants" standing out by that 203 yard target. Better be careful . . . remember I got a wicked case of poison ivy at Tom's farm last year when I wore shorts. Gary must be one of those naturally-resistant folks of American Indian stock. laughing again

-- Jim
April 22, 2009 03:04PM
Sorry there young fella ... you better get yourself a pr. of Leupold eyeglasses. I'm wearing jeans in that photo.

Next range day ... you can drive. We'll put Jerry's truckload of stuff, my truckload of stuff, and the trailer load of stuff, in the trunk of your Corvette. Then you can orchestrate the set-up, and the rest of us will just have to make do! smileys with beer

Hey ... how's the high speed photography coming. We're looking forward to seeing that.

Gary
April 22, 2009 03:58PM
I dunno . . . looks like overhanging shorts leg on you left side. I can see your calf too. whistling I'll have to add a "cat call" smiley! scared

gary_blown_up.jpg

High speed photo stuff . . . ouch! I can't just conjure up instant results, ya know. Still have to order the flash controller . . . Vivitar flash unit is here in the office.

-- Jim
April 22, 2009 05:00PM
Keep zooming ... hit that magic "fill in missing pixels" button too.

Common Jim. Instant results are the hallmark of your generation! hehe. Fortunately, I'm from the Baby boomer's ... we "simmer" along.

tongue sticking out smiley
April 22, 2009 05:30PM
OK, full zoom it is . . . I guess you were wearing jeans, Gary:

peg-leg-gary.jpg

Must've been shooting the Hoss that day too, ehh Matey? Arrrgggghhh! smiling bouncing smiley

-- Jim
April 22, 2009 03:08AM
Very nice gun Gary! Great accuracy too. Outstanding shooting at 203 yards, especially with only open sight. I couldn't even hit a barn door at 200 yards with open sight he..he.
April 23, 2009 08:20AM
203 thats obscene , and a group too , nice shooting indeed, who cares about the ftlbs of it all , the post says all you would need to know ,, nice way to empty a coke can though .
spectacular stuff.
t
April 29, 2009 09:01AM
Open sights...203 yards....phew!!!google eyes

I have some work to do. Nice ,Garytake a bow

Cheers

Neil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021