Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Archived Pics -

Archived Pics -
April 30, 2009 02:15PM
One of the benefits of hanging around for decades, is that you get to "Archive" your earlier work. winking smiley

Gary.jpg

I ran across the stored posters I used to use at knife shows. This pic of me working, would have been taken about 1978.

Archive_Gary_a.jpg

Through a series of circumstances, I realized that I had retained a collection of my earliest knives (dating back to about 1970). Around 1989, I decided to group them in a display case. The walnut carved panels of the case, lay unfinished on the office shelves for the next 15 years or so. I eventually completed the case, made up a document booklet with relevent facts on each knife. It's now with a collector of my work.

archive_case_a.jpg

The case is solid walnut (some which my grandfather cut in his day). I deeply relief carved the case.

archive_four_a.jpg

Bound the booklet in leather, and tied it thru an oversized elk stag button.

Booklet_a.jpg

The booklet contains a story on each knife.

archive_three_a.jpg

And made wooden hinges for the case.

It's fun to look back thru the archived pics, and run across this stuff. This was some of the materials trapped in the hard drive of that IBM laptop which developed issues. Thanks Jim. I'm glad we were able to retrieve the materials.

Hope you enjoy seeing different things. take a bow

Gary
April 30, 2009 02:46PM
That's awesome stuff. I'm glad it's in good hands where it is appreciated. thumbs up

Hey . . . word has it there's even more "archival" stuff headed your way. That's kinda what I do, you know . . . nerd

-- Jim
April 30, 2009 03:58PM
Gary, those are some great looking knives! Thanks for posting your archived pictures. Oh, and first time we get to see your your younger picture he..he.
May 01, 2009 03:19AM
Gary,

You looked a bit like a young George Lucas!
May 01, 2009 04:43PM
I had an Uncle George .... you don't think!!!! more confused

thumbs up

Gary
May 03, 2009 06:58AM
That young guy in the photo, he's your hippie cousin, right?/laughing again
May 02, 2009 10:05PM
Nice display case, Knives not soo bad either.
May 03, 2009 07:52AM
So...how often did Grizzly Adams stop by the shop back in "the day"?whistling
May 03, 2009 03:20PM
Occasionally. haha.

Gary
May 09, 2009 06:49PM
wooden hinges ,,, oh gary , stop. the deep carved wallnut was enough but wooden hinges thats obscene. as nice as it gets somedays it must be hard to actually sell your things, after the time and effort that goes into it all , how do you ever decide on the value of an item.
wooden hinges indeed, you will be carving stainless next.
regards
tom
May 10, 2009 12:54AM
Ahhh Tom,

It was a dreadful mistake. The order had actually been for a "Case of Walnuts". To make matters worse, I told them it "would hinge" upon my schedule. They said ... "fine, go ahead and carve them out a spot". Well, later ... I remembered it as a "Carved walnut case with wooden hinges!" Imagine my embarrassment when I realized my mistake!! Fortunately, they were willing to just accept the whole mess for the original price of the case of walnuts ... what a stroke of luck!! grinning smiley

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021