Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: NOW HERE THIS! bullhorn. DROP DEAD BEAUTIFUL FOLDER FOR SALE!

NOW HEAR THIS! take a bow SOLD!! Thks, DROP DEAD BEAUTIFUL FOLDER FOR SALE!
January 26, 2017 12:21AM
My Saddleback Locking Folding Knife - will be for sale tonight or tomorrow!

I've made a few engineering alterations to make it even better. AND, I've fabricated a matching real bail, woven thong, and bead.

This is the Carved Elk Stag folder. Oak leaves and Acorns. I made it to carry for Christmas. I did so when it was in its earliest possible "knife" format. Ha.

Pictures ASAP.

It's gonna be $750us plus $18.80 shipping and insurance.

Hang tight,
Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2017 02:37AM by barnespneumatic.
January 26, 2017 01:11AM
The blade is all taped up. Front pivot Rivet being fitted.

Here are the new bail, leather thong with stag tip, new satin stainless steel machine screws with carved compass notches, milled work to tap the bronze cross bar at the rear of the knife. thumbs up. The blade now turns on a hardened bushing while brass handmade washers keep the polished blade tang from ever touching the stag.

Gary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2017 01:15AM by barnespneumatic.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
January 26, 2017 02:32AM
Beautiful knife Gary! Can't wait to see the rest of it. Looks like the improvements really accentuate this knife's lines.

Kent
January 26, 2017 02:30PM
That's a fabulous folder ( FF )
I sure can't wait to see the whole thing together . It looks like a small version of "Hank " the md 97 you made and I was lucky enough to get . You also embedded steel in that at the pivotal points and anyone who saw it at the skeeter shoot knows it soooo smooth opening and closing . It's hard not to play with it !

I'm thinking it would be a good purse knife for a lady or man . Can you tell me about the saddle back ? What is the purpose ? Does it lock the blade open and closed ? I'm not familiar with ever holding one before . Is it you design ? Is it stainless steel springy ?

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2017 02:37PM by kurt wag.
January 26, 2017 05:41PM
Hi Kurt,

Thanks. I have made the mistake of not explaining some history.

This IS a locking blade design. I did not design it. It's very old. I don't know its origin, but you see it in knives from the "Old World" on knives where the handles are made from horn of various types. The actual lock is exactly like the familiar "lock back" (aka Buck knife). The geometry is the same. There is a notch in the back of the blade. A mating tool steel lug is perfectly fitted into the notch. The geometry uses the front of the notch to provide the STOP of the blade. It pushes against the front of the fitted lock bar. Now, the back of the notch PULLS against the back of the fitted locking bar's lug. That keeps it from closing.

Now, on these knives; there are many things used to release the lock. Some even have a ring on the top front to pull upwards. I simply relieve the front stag under a small WING projection I've formed into the spring. Yes, the top bar is spring tempered, and this one is stainless tool steel.

This knife isn't that much smaller then your knife "Hank". smiling smiley.

To be continued ...,
January 26, 2017 05:49PM
2 3/4" blade and 6 1/4" overall open.

thumbs up
January 26, 2017 06:43PM
Take note of another finishing detail. I've carved the Stag deeper under the WING extension, so that it's easier to get a thumb or finger under to apply pressure to disengage the lock. I've carved it into a five lobe fluted recess.

Oh - BTW .... The blade tang is shaped, hardened, and polished so that the spring can SNAP the blade closed and keep it safely there. You also see here the opening Stud riveted thru the Ricasso of the blade.

image.jpeg

Almost done.

Thanks for watching!

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2017 06:45PM by barnespneumatic.
January 26, 2017 10:06PM
Ok .... I'm trying to honor an offer to hold this for an hour. I never got any responce to my responce and four pics. You all know how Texts go - especially SMS timing. But, I know a few are watching too. So; I'm gonna honor my offer to give an hour to review the pics requested.

This knife is Available after 5:35 Central

Thanks guys
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
January 26, 2017 10:26PM
Sold Sold Sold!!!
Re: NOW HEAR THIS! take a bow SOLD!! Thks, DROP DEAD BEAUTIFUL FOLDER FOR SALE!
January 27, 2017 05:12PM
Gary,

I thought that was your knife. You might have to settle for an Ace Hardware special the way you are going.

BTW - It is nice looking.

Keith
Re: NOW HEAR THIS! take a bow SOLD!! Thks, DROP DEAD BEAUTIFUL FOLDER FOR SALE!
January 27, 2017 10:52PM
MY...???

WHAttttt...... the...... .......... stunned

AHHHHhhhhh!!!!

Nutz.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021