Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

bullhorn Black Tie 97 bullhorn bullhorn

bullhorn Black Tie 97 bullhorn bullhorn
June 16, 2017 12:38AM
I'm figuring out the cost and options.

The frame is a soft brushed finish. The scales are polished linen Micarta. Just a reminder - Micarta was WW2's Carbon Fiber.

This 97 has a couple of extra time features. Obviously, the polished blade. And also the machine screw mounted scales. Purpose there is that the scales "could" be changed out. But this causes numerous fiddly steps to fit and polish, as well as numerous extra steps in clamping, mounting, drilling, counterboring, threading, and others I'm forgetting. Adds up to an hour here. Hour there. Looks nice. Hours aren't free.

So: Kurt -your guess is fair. Then I need to cover the above. Just a note. Kelly has been looking at my knives for almost 30 years. We often write our cost estimates on cards, then compare. On this one, she was way higher. So; it's nice.

I'll say $795us plus $17 for the Postman. For one check today - $750us plus $17 USPS. NOW: I'm going to try again, to help make things easier. My prices are very fair. They are half of what they were in 1985. And, if it's hard for you to write $600, then it's hard for you to write $500. But; it might be easier to write $250. And, 4 of you doing that is $1,000. I can use $1,000. $250 evaporates in groceries and gas money. We have to get some more "buyers", not just readers. Now, I don't think there are a lot of artists taking installments. Let's do this: on this knife, it's $795. I havevto have something to make it worth fooling with, record keeping, and building it up front to lay here for months. So: say we start with the $395us. Then, 30 days we do $275us. Then, 30 days we do $175 plus the $17 postage. Ok / you have paid me $50 to wait two months.

Let's try it. Today and tomorrow are looking for $750us plus $17 USPS. You will save the $45 up front, plus the $50 service charge for splitting payments.

If we don't find a home todaybir tomorrow by .... say 6pmEastern, well open it for the split schedule.

This is a test now. Guys, don't just click away without thinking about it. I'm working my worn out bones here. No, you don't owe me a thing. But you say you have enjoyed 20 years of my work. To my knowledge, I'm only guilty of wearing thin, like an old LLBean shirt. I still have lots of wears left, but life ain't free. It's gonna take some time to get any traffic from the new site to add to the pot.

Thanks Guys,
Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2017 08:25PM by barnespneumatic.
IMG_5792.JPG
IMG_5794.JPG
IMG_5793.JPG
IMG_5797.JPG
IMG_5798.JPG
Re: Black Tie 97
June 16, 2017 02:23AM
That is a very elegant looking knife. Black Tie is appropriate name for the style, classy!

Thanks for sharing the progress. Hope injections are helping.

Pedro
June 16, 2017 09:39AM
Very nice Gary
I'm thinkin $100 an inch to start ! Am I close ?

Thanks
Kurt
June 16, 2017 01:16PM
Gary,

Stunning looking knife, I hope you have Tux.

Larry
June 16, 2017 01:35PM
I ordered an Aston Martin, Larry.

Nutz. Forgot the Tux!
June 17, 2017 12:25AM
bullhorn

Check the specials and offers up above.

You need this knife.

Gsry
June 17, 2017 01:30PM
Gary,

The solid black seems to change the shape and look of the knife in a really good way. I cannot stop looking at it. I think Kelly was right on her price what ever it was.

Larry
June 18, 2017 01:24AM
Hi Larry,

She thought this particular 97 was worth $1,100us Larry.

Before you chuckle .... she's seen everything I've made since 1987. She's knows every price. Mostly handled every dollar. So; she has a pretty good idea of what she is looking at.

It's my job to try to recall how the features fit into the overall scheme.

Happy Father's Day!
Gary n Kelly
June 18, 2017 10:07AM
Gary,

I still think she is right.

Take care,

Larry
Re: bullhorn Black Tie 97 bullhorn bullhorn
June 18, 2017 02:14PM
Gary
Congrats on your first sale on the new site. I know how easy and hard it is to keep a finish looking good . The frosted look is nice and will conceal prints from usage . I also liked the design you did ( I forgot name ) but it had circle designs layed out and applied with maybe scotch pad or sand paper . I've seen it on a large scale aluminum truck bed parts .
This knife shouldn't last long .

Thanks
Kurt
June 27, 2017 05:20PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2017 12:48AM by barnespneumatic.
July 03, 2017 04:32PM
Hi Kurt,

The design pattern you mention is called "Engine Turning". I used to do it on the inside of Stainless Steel cases. You would see it on old style Bank Vaults. And yes, truck bodies. Big on watch Cases too.

This I have done is my "Frost" or "Cracked Ice" Treatment. When you take something and perfectly mirror polish it, you can take a napkin or especially a paper towel, and scratch the Drvil out of it with just a normal rub. The paper is slightly abrasive and you ALWAYS get a particle of dust, dirt, buffing compound, grit - between that perfect surface and the paper. Then a normalrub to remove finger prints with just grind the heck out of it. Intriduce scratches you can see across the room against that flawless mirror background. Then, the OCD of most collectors kicks in .... and before you can say jack Henry ... they are curled up in a corner, rocking themselves, and staring at the scratch!!! Whaaaaaaah. I know. Believe me. It's the white dress black dress syndrome. ONE speck of lint or fuzz, and it's like a big spider on the dress.

So: trust me; I'm saving you from yourself. I wouldn't use the technique if it didn't look great in person. But, everybody is an art critic. I've had multiple people tell me it will look great .... WHEN ITS FINISHED! My I.T. Guy even sorted thru all the pics and found the one that made it look "normal" due to glare. I carefully provided pics showing the cross brushing technique. Haha. People just cannot tolerate anything that they haven't seen ten thousand times before. We want innovation!! As long as it's walnut and blue steel. It's like the rugged individualism of a Harley Davidson ground ride. Black vest, black gloves, etc. ha.

Well, this is Barnes' Frosted Bolsters. They look great. They won't show prints and every micro scratch. And, you can cover them with black electric tape when you get the knife!
I've been tormenting collectors with them for forty years!

Smile,
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021