Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What’s Back There??? More coffee

What’s Back There??? More coffee
January 08, 2021 12:44AM
When I’m not visible here, I’m in the back room of the shop. Working on whatever I’m able to work on right now.

I had an Uncle Jim. A fine man. I liked him a lot. He was a Barnes. Looked like a Barnes. About 6’2” and well proportioned. He farmed, he bought his own Buses and contracted School Routes for the County. In later years he owned and operated a Feed stood. He developed a bad heart and left too soon. He said to me once, that “Nobody was gonna do his work until he did it himself ... so it helped a bit that he could determine when he did what.” I was probably 20 with my own Cabinet Show then. That phrase stuck with me for about another 23 years. Then, I lost my ability to choose when I did what. Health decided when I could do what. And that has stuck another 21 years or so. I can often choose when I can start something. But sustained work of a chosen kind ... no.

Right now, I’ve been working on a series of Cuff Bracelets.

5B8A271C-921B-4A10-B713-29CEB9BABDA1.jpeg

I’m supposed to deliver them soon. So I’m working late tonight.

I’m also working thru a couple of Model 97 Folding Knives.

5E2754FD-8700-42C6-8A8D-E5A92064BE74.jpeg

One is a copy of Mac, my pocket 97. Similar to the ones people have been agreeing that they enjoy as their own. The other here is the size and style of three knives I made for three different wives who purchased for their husbands. A great style. I’ll finish this one ASAP. Don’t forget it.

5B1CE461-9F9E-4E95-8C77-13EE0BDA2E41.jpeg

I wanted you to have a peek thru the door into the back shop. Thanks for reading.

God Bless
Gary
Re: What’s Back There??? More coffee
January 09, 2021 05:47PM
Gary,
I hate that the pain slows you down, but I'm glad you're getting some work done.
Here's to a beter 2021!

Scott
January 09, 2021 07:36PM
Hi Scott,

Thank you for your note. I really sincerely appreciate that you have continued to wish me well and speak well to me. (For perspective: I owe Scott a rifle and a moderated barrel. He doesn’t mention it, because he knows I never forget.

I really regret the friends I’ve lost because of my chronic pain and it’s effects on me. My pain is something I don’t just turn off. It’s hard to even turn down a part of it. This is relevant ... it’s not a “poor Gary” segment. You know, I’d bet that 99 % of people would think of the following wrong: Pain medicine doesn’t just uniformly turn the pain level down across the whole board of warning lights. It randomly hits and effects different areas. So to start; .... you feel ... just terrible. You look and hope 4-6 hours has passed. Yayyyy. You take your meds. For 30-45 minutes you feel ... still terrible. Then ... at about an hour you see two lights on the board have dropped out. You look at the corresponding needle gauges for those lights ... you see one is still at 68% and the other is now at 59%. But six more are still on. Three of those went down 18% but are still above the threshold. Two more went down 10%. Hard to notice. The last ones never moved. The deal is ... you don’t get a nice even reduction. Often you just trade from “My back is killing me” ... to “My neck is killing me”. But hopefully you get a general overall net reduction which reduces the level of that darned Klaxon blaring in your head.

That’s Chronic Pain. And so many wonder why you don’t “just get it fixed!” Some think you are being over dramatic. Some really feel for you and wish they could help. But, people are. Yay. They have their own trials. And for most, you are “entertainment”. Either good or bad entertainment. I understand.

And I share the reality so you realize I’m not golfing or sailing. I’m working to capacity.

God Bless Us AlGary
January 10, 2021 02:51PM
Looks like some progress there for sure . It’s seems like things are always so busy around the holidays. I can appreciate the certain tasks that don’t cause as much pain as others. You have to modify your actions accordingly .
I pray for an easier year for everyone and especially those ESSENTIAL workers .

Thanks
Kurt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 28
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021