Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dragon Stock - PICS (More Detail Pics added Again 5pm)

Dragon Stock - PICS (More Detail Pics added Again 5pm)
August 26, 2009 02:48PM
After a lifetime of sanding .... whistling

I'm laying on stock oil. Here's the second coat.

Dragon Stock 014.JPG

The walnut has a natural overlaying "scale" pattern and coloration. Careful attention was given to the placement of the stock pattern on the plank, to take best advantage of the grain. It's worked out really well for the Dragon.

Dragon Stock 016.JPG

Carved signature is on the flat plateau, and will show under the exposed pressure reservoir ...

a_Dragon (2).jpg

Photo prior to last round of stock carving/finish. However; it shows the "open reservoir" design of the stock.

Dragon Stock 019.JPG

Dragon Stock 021.JPG

Dragon Stock 023.JPG

The overlapping belly plates of the Dragon 87's stock.

Dragon Stock 024.JPG

Dragon Stock 013.JPG

A good view of the Dragon's "Bench Hook" for stable control during aiming.

The stock will have a soft sheen when dry, with several more coats of oil.

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2009 09:00PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Dragon Stock - PICS
August 26, 2009 03:29PM
That's looking great Gary! Thanks for taking the time to post pictures on the way to the oven. The Dragon is certainly coming together as a spectacular gun.
August 26, 2009 04:47PM
Thanks Jerry,

It's been alot of work, but it has been rewarding to watch it turn out so well.

I got the first coat on it about 11 pm last night. What was it ... 7:30 I spoke to you, and ... hey ... just three more hours of grueling sanding ... and it was done! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out All the walnut dust you'd ever want to eat grinning smiley

Gary

Thanks Dan ... take a bow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2009 04:48PM by barnespneumatic.
August 26, 2009 03:56PM
Just keeps getting better...... thumbs up
August 26, 2009 06:41PM
This gun looks amazing Gary! It looks like a Dragon and it's worthy the name of one. I have seen the $20,000 to $30,000 guns in Bass Proshop special gun room, and for the price I wasn't impressed, some of your guns and this one impressed the heck out of me.
August 26, 2009 07:37PM
That's what I keep telling him . . . eye rolling smiley

-- Jim
August 26, 2009 09:03PM
I've just made a note in your file .... more innocent

And, anytime you care to pursue that "Agent Thing" ... let me know.

take a bow

Gary
August 26, 2009 07:56PM
Peter,
Most of the folks that enter special rooms at gun dealers would have no clue how special this gun is. Thanks to this forum and the ability to share the performance of the gun as well as the artistry, you and others would.

I'm often asked by folks who become aware of my airgun hobby, "what's the advantage to air power?" It's an honest question and not meant to offend. I tell them there is no advantage. There is appreciation and challenge. Why would somebody restore an old car when a new one will out perform it? Why would someone tune a 10/22 when they can out-shoot it with a 6mm? Why would anyone go hunting with bow or black powder or air?

It boils down to the challenge of doing something with less than the fanciest tool and the appreciation of the accomplishment. And, in the case of Gary's guns, the appreciation of the effort, skill and time it takes to make a highly efficient tool look great too. It's a combination of art appreciation and admiration of mechanical devices. I don't think it is a coincidence that many of the folks that post here or read this site know what a 302 cross ram manifold is and/or tinker with guns and machine tools.

In fact, I think if you have never tried to improve a mechanical device or fit a dovetail, you just can't appreciate fine craftsmanship.
August 27, 2009 03:27PM
Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm often asked by folks who become aware of my
> airgun hobby, "what's the advantage to air power?"
> It's an honest question and not meant to offend.
> I tell them there is no advantage.

I generally agree, except for one point: air power lets a lot of us shoot at home in our yards\basements\garages.

> In fact, I think if you have never tried to
> improve a mechanical device or fit a dovetail, you
> just can't appreciate fine craftsmanship.

thumbs up Yup.
August 28, 2009 01:09PM
dan_house Wrote:
> I generally agree, except for one point: air power
> lets a lot of us shoot at home in our
> yards\basements\garages.

smiling smiley Very true and that means more shooting time. But, don't shoot this gun in your garage or basement unless you are installing a new door! laughing again
August 28, 2009 03:08PM
Jerry Wrote:
> dan_house Wrote:
> > I generally agree, except for one point: air
> power
> > lets a lot of us shoot at home in our
> > yards\basements\garages.
>
> smiling smiley Very true and that means more shooting time.
> But, don't shoot this gun in your garage or
> basement unless you are installing a new door!
> laughing again

Every thing in moderation!!! hehehe
August 26, 2009 08:59PM
I've gotten to this stage now.

Dragon Stock 034.JPG

Dragon Stock 035.JPG

Dragon Stock 033.JPG

Waddyathink?

Dragon Stock 028.JPG

A tight flash shows what your eye sees, that it doesn't know it sees ... the dots are: 1). black. 2). midnight blue/black. 3). midnight blue. 4). black/green. 5). green ... applied in a certain progression of color ... and at a certain place in the oiling process.

Gary
August 27, 2009 03:21PM
barnespneumatic Wrote:
> I've gotten to this stage now.
>

You cut stencil for that dot parttern?spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
August 27, 2009 03:30PM
No - just "dot-dot-dot" .... Morse code style. winking smiley

Gary
Re: Dragon Stock - PICS (More Detail Pics added Again 5pm)
August 26, 2009 09:15PM
That's just sick...
August 27, 2009 01:02AM
August 27, 2009 12:31AM
What's with all these pictures of WOODwork????

you'd think the only thing that matters on a gun is the stock - what about the barrel, action, metalwork ????....more innocent

Geez, it's just a piece of a tree.......

Oh, wait, ...I must have been channelling someone else -hehehe

Awesome work as always Gary, even though I know how much you love sanding!!!!

I really do like how the whole "Dragon" concept works here, in every facet and line
August 27, 2009 01:01AM
Joebill,

That's right. Trees are evil, sneaky things. This one forced it's way into my shop, plank by plank. But, I suspected it's plan to reassemble itself, and occupy ALL of the room in my shop. So; I attacked it with blades of all manner. (And half a ton of sandpaper). And ... what do you know ... I was right!!! That evil tree had captured an innocent Dragon inside! And so, I let it out, and it became my friend. winking smiley

Will be neat to see it all together, with the real star of the show ... the action. take a bow

GAry
August 27, 2009 01:18AM
My GOD Gary!!!, How do you do it all. From wood to steel and back again. My hats off to your craftsmanship cause you never cease to amaze me.
August 27, 2009 04:17AM
Wsmiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smileyW Once again letting you run wild has resulted in something no one would have believed would work. It so cool when a craftsman who doesn't know what a gun is supposed to look like blends techniques and skills to open a new window to the Barnes landscape. Ok, Ok, I know..., I was the only one who didn't see dragons, belly scales, scaled metal and multi-hued stock accents coming next!

Keep the surprises comin'

Kent
August 27, 2009 05:58AM
Gun looks great.wink

Lon
August 27, 2009 12:51PM
Thank you guys,

This is the most fun I've had with a gun for some time. Just doing a couple of the hundreds of things that run thru my mind.

Now ... this one is nearly complete. At some time in the future, on the appropriate gun, I'll do some silver wire inlay. I'll let that as a tease.

Oh ... don't say you heard it here ... but Dory's stock and gun is almost complete too. This isn't all I've been doing, but with the news black-out and all, I couldn't say. winking smiley

OK. Thanks for your comments. They've been encouraging. I know everybody's waiting for something, or a couple of somethings. That's never off my mind. Anymore, I can only work of about six things at once though, and keep up the quality. Thanks for your friendship all.

Gary
August 27, 2009 05:47PM
OOoh, that's something again.... I've had busy time but, well, but very glad to see tat all.

Thanks Gary for showing us things like this.
August 27, 2009 08:23PM
Gary, it's obvious why your guns don't get shot often enough....people just want to admire them all day long, then they're just too tired to shoot 'emwhistling
Besides, how often do works of art get out for a run? I mean, you don't see the Mona Lisa dragged out of her cabinet for someone to have a good play with...artist
Hehehehe

Neil

PS Looking good, that Dragon!
August 27, 2009 02:00PM
Look at it this way, you'll have something new to show in a couple of weeks. See, if you s-t-r-e-t-c-h out the pictures over days you keep the boys coming back, just like the serial cartoonssmiling smiley Dory
August 28, 2009 07:53PM
Jerry, I agree with you 100%! I also appreciate extremely fine custom bigbores that Gary makes. To me, the custom gun is more than an effective tool to hunt with, but I'd also take great pride in ownership and enjoy holding and admiring a great looking, custom built hunting gun; and appreciate that it was built by hand from a skillfully and talented AirgunSmith.

Gary built and designed a vast variety of stylings, I like most of his guns. Granted, not all his models would appeal to everybody, but I think most of the serious bigbore lover would find at least some of his models would appealing to him greatly. For anyone to say that none of Gary's gun is appealing to him is beyond me...
An analogy would be to look at an exotic car like a Lamborghini and say I don't like the look, while the other 99% of the people love them he..he..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2009 10:08PM by peter-n.
August 29, 2009 05:51AM
Now THAT is a cool looking piece of work. It's almost a shame that it's an airgun, since it almost seems like it should be necessary for it to breath fire. Perhaps a propane upgrade?whistling
August 29, 2009 02:15PM
Have you seen the condensation plume when it fires? Plenty Dragon like. eye popping smiley
August 29, 2009 09:49PM
I guess I'll have to load that one again. My bog-slow connection generally discourages video clips but sometimes they'll work. Did you say that this one is a .62 rifled bore?
September 18, 2009 07:34PM
love the scales on the stock too ,,, not sure if its medication induced inspiration , or what ever the cause is ,, but the fun element in this gun is really showing through, its nice to see.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021