Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Caribou 46 - NEW Progress Pic posted at TOP

Caribou 46 - NEW Progress Pic posted at TOP
September 27, 2009 04:49PM
Making some good progress on these carvings ...

A_Progress_Caribou.jpg

A_Caribou1.jpg

Caribou 006.JPG

Here's the orig. pencil sketch. Everything is origonal artwork.

It's been a rainy weekend, and I've had several nasty, lingering headaches ... so I haven't packed up for the range. I've been doing a few "sit down" sessions to start the carving on the Caribou stocks. Yeah - I know ... I'm worse than an old woman with aches and pains ... but ... carving with your eyes crossed is a special skill ... developed over time ... thru practice.

Caribou 005.JPG

I shot the gun yesterday, thru the muzzler and bullet trap, for 530 foot pounds with the 446 grain slug. I tried some "buck ball" - swaggged from .490" ball, and they screamed.

A_George.jpg

The gun cocks via a top lever set into the buttstock. Works wonderful.

Gary

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2009 06:53PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Caribou 46
September 27, 2009 08:40PM
Looking great Gary. Someone is going to get a great gun!
September 27, 2009 10:14PM
Thanks Jerry,

I got stopped on my carving today ... it was just the wrong "stuff" for a headache day. After a bit of a rest - I saw that the sun was out, and it was a beautiful Fall afternoon. I gathered up some stuff, and did a quick trip to the range with the Caribou. WOW ... it was a joy to shoot. And - extremely accurate with a couple of different slugs.

Hey - you'll recognize ... the K-8 slug ... the earlier one with the full bottom ring (no rebated stud). I just weighed one @ 398.36 grains. I ran the gun at just 3,000 psi for this field test. The chrony said the slug flew 750 fps. So ... carry the zero ... divide by one ... that's 497.68 foot pounds. A nice range - to be sure. And, it was extremely accurate. I have pics for later.

It also loved the 46 Bishops. I think I recall they were 837 fps @ 3,000 psi. I shot some Raptors. And, they really screamed ... velocity wise - and audibly. Piercing shriek all the way to the target. excited thumbs up

You bet - THIS one is gonna be harder than normal to let go of.

More later ... gotta take the Mrs. for some dinner. winking smiley

Gary
September 27, 2009 10:20PM
Here's a few ... forgot I had the camera - I have a minute.

I think they explain themselves ....

Caribou 010.JPG

Caribou 012.JPG

Caribou 013.JPG

Caribou 014.JPG

Caribou 017.JPG

Caribou 024.JPG

Caribou 023.JPG

Back later!

Gary
September 28, 2009 06:27AM
Wow, not a bad first session Gary!take a bow

That's a fine looking gun that shoots fine!

Regards
Neil
September 28, 2009 02:23PM
Thanks Neil,

It was very enjoyable to shoot. The cocking lever made it really nice at the bench.

The lever has a distinct "snick ... snick, snick" metalic sound. Neat for that serious mechanical impression. Something you'd have to do carefully if you had a nice 14 point buck staring at you. rudolph haha.

Best,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2009 07:06PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Caribou 46 - Additional Range Pics Posted Now
September 28, 2009 01:58PM
That's a great looking gun Gary! take a bow
I see some new engineering on the tower and scope rails, in addition to the lever cocking. Not just window dressing changes!

Way to go,
Kent
September 28, 2009 02:16PM
Thanks Kent,

Yeah ... this is the bigger brother within the Rendezvous class. It has an 1 1/4" pressure tube. The rifle is thus, a bit heavier. This one, and the Grizzly 62, are much alike.

A matter of choices. The one you have, which we've called the "Grey Fox", has a 1" pressure tube. It's the Sporter/Hunter version. Amazing power in it's lighter frame. This one, is more of the "hunter/bench rifle" version. It has more machinery, and can thus reach out with more power yet.

Also; the Grizzly 62 and 46 Caribou, have a "Turret" styled tower. Gives a more vertical stance to the pc. The receiver of the lighter series, uses
a longer billet of receiver, which has integral scope rails. This series of gun seems to have found nearly universal appeal, from the feedback I've had. Also makes a great canvas for traditional artwork.

Gary
September 28, 2009 03:41PM
Its loaded by moving/twisitng the brass band on the barrel?

Love the pistol grip! Custoemr request or more Barnes innovation?
September 28, 2009 04:12PM
It just slides fore and aft. No twisting required. O ring sealed.

The trigger housing/finger bow is the same as I used on the Grizzly 62.

Gary
September 28, 2009 07:02PM
I wanted to make a note here too:

If you look a the early pics ... the one with the pencil sketch ... you will see that this was a very nice pc. of walnut. It had alot of grain ... nice movement in it. AND ... it's been a real pain to carve. It seems the grain goes every which direction ,... and is mostly end grain. That's what makes attractive wood look ... attractive.

I chose this blank (from a stock sale I had a year or two back) ... because it was a very nice blank ... but was not highly figured. It's a real trade off when you know you are going to do alot of relief carving. Everybody likes figured wood ... but carving covers it up ... and makes the carving more difficult.

I've seen some killer firearm blanks ... that were then covered with acres of checkering ... which just appeared black (where there would have been great figure). This is the way I handle the choices to be made. Just thought some might find the thinking interesting. Deep relief carving, from the maker of the rifle, is worth ten times what any pc. of wood could bring to the table. So - there's no point in doing both - and having them compete.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2009 07:05PM by barnespneumatic.
September 29, 2009 07:07PM
barnespneumatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Deep relief carving,
> from the maker of the rifle, is worth ten times
> what any pc. of wood could bring to the table. So
> - there's no point in doing both - and having them
> compete.

Would this an instance of where choosing straight grained mahogany would be better than walnut?
September 29, 2009 08:51PM
HI Dan,

A tight, uniform grain in more any wood would carve better than anything figured. Some things hold detail better. Sharp tools are essential.

Gary
September 29, 2009 04:57AM
Gary,

The rifle is coming along great. Flawless. wink
September 29, 2009 04:05PM
Thanks Lon,

I worked late last night, and finished the carving on this. I'll post the pic as s fresh post.]

Gary
September 29, 2009 07:45PM
gary , could you ever just build two similar models , every new rifle is off in another fresh direction , some new ideas in everything , its like youve found a new pool of creativity , or maybe your starting to experiment more with the ideas , def a great new look your developing , again , a brand new classic.
regards
t
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021