a-Hoss8.jpg

a-Hoss7.jpg

a-Hoss6.jpg

a-Hoss5.jpg

a-Hoss4.jpg

a-Hoss3.jpg

a-Hoss2.jpg

a-Hoss1.jpg

(I had to go earlier - didn't get to finish the post). I ran a bluing cycle for a number of parts I needed recently. During the session, I re-blued the Hoss while it was back in my shop after five years in the field. The maintenance included changing out all seals while it was torn down. This one actually has been shot alot. Everything was in good shape. It's good to go again.

thumbs up

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2009 07:16PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Hoss - 45 Caliber Pistol
October 13, 2009 07:19PM
Ho hum, just another work of art....whistling
Seriously, some serious work has gone into that little (or should I say big) beauty! take a bow
I am intrigued by the side by side configuration of the barrel and airtube...is there a precedent for this in olden days air guns, or is it a product of your fertile artistic imagination?
I bet it kicks a bit when it's fired, and I bet it hits hard, got any figures?
Nice work!
Neil
October 13, 2009 07:42PM
neilmcp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I am intrigued by the side by side configuration
> of the barrel and airtube...

I was wondering that too.... I dont recall seeing that on earlier Hoss pix, but maybe just never noticed it.....

That's five years old? 5 years of use didnt treat me that good.....whistling

Whats the post on (shooter's) right of the front barrel band for?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2009 08:01PM by dan_house.
October 13, 2009 07:52PM
Hey, I heard Julio doesn't want to bother with it anymore! I'll drop by and pick it up to get it off your hands. more innocent
October 14, 2009 01:35AM
Hi Dan,

Complex barrel band is set up to draw all three tubes with one socket head machine screw (in that "post").

thumbs up

Gary
October 14, 2009 07:24PM
A quick study of the pics..... and I see that now. thumbs up

Should have known there'd be more to it ...... smiling smiley
October 14, 2009 01:40AM
Hi Neil,

Side by side design. Takes into account ...

Rear hammer.
Avoids tall vertical stack.
Puts barrel in better eye alignment when heavy pistol is rested on crooked opposite arm.
Annoys inside the box folks. winking smiley
Looks way cool. grinning smiley

Just made the whole thing "tighter" and I liked it that way. Glad you like it.

smileys with beer

Gary
October 14, 2009 03:49AM
Great to see the Hoss again. This has been kelli's fav for some time. It's a handful that she felt gave her a rock solid hold at The Erwin Cup. She can't wait to get her hands on it again.excited Julio has taken good care of it, no doubt. I may have a thing or two that would work as a good backstop for that 454 ball. Thanks for a peek!
October 14, 2009 10:07PM
Gary, that is one awesome looking pistol! I really like the style.
October 15, 2009 03:13AM
I like the way the wood grain goes from light to dark. Natural or stained ?
October 15, 2009 05:33AM
Natural. thanks for the comment.

My grandfather cut that walnut in the 1940's

thumbs up

Gary
October 16, 2009 07:51AM
Was he cutting for furniture, firewood,,? Did he ever get to see any of the pieces you've done?
October 22, 2009 05:40PM
Hello Gunker,

My grandfather passed when I was about 10 years old. He'd build a large family operation of custom farming. They had the threshing machines to harvest the entire reigon. He'd accumulated several farms - had a large family. He also was a school bus contractor for the county. I've heard family stories of how he actually converted a huge Hudson automobile - building a bus body for it ... and placed it on one of the very rural routes of Carrol County Md. back in the 1920's.

He also ran a big saw mill, built barns, sheds, homes for the family.

After he died about 1964, the lawyers bled the estate dry. It's just a memory.

Gary
November 05, 2009 06:55PM
The pistol has always been one of my favorite pieces but the custom case is amazing too.
October 19, 2009 05:13PM
This has always been one of my favorites. It is aging well.
October 22, 2009 03:54PM
hi , ive never realised before just how aysemetric the gun is ,, outstanding pics .
as for the gun ,, well . just couldnt dissapoint could it , its another work of art
a modern classic
t
October 27, 2009 06:39AM
Quite the good-looking hogleg there. The more I see that acid-etching on the reservoir, the more I like it, it's classy looking. I'll bet the blueing on the top of the hammer is the first to go since it's thumbprinted every time it's fired, but I'll bet it was nice and smooth there as well. grinning smiley
October 27, 2009 07:41PM
Thumbprinted and then lovingly wiped and oiled...whistling
November 05, 2009 06:26AM
You know, it would be nice to see a Hoss in .32, on a bit more compact a "frame"...
November 05, 2009 02:24PM
Hello Roose,

Good to see you drop back in.

The Heritage Pistol, in 32 caliber, was a light weight pistol in the dueling pattern. It's still shown http://www.glbarnes.com/heritage.html

Best,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2009 02:26PM by barnespneumatic.
November 06, 2009 05:19AM
barnespneumatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Roose,
>
> Good to see you drop back in.
>
> The Heritage Pistol, in 32 caliber, was a light
> weight pistol in the dueling pattern. It's still
> shown [www.glbarnes.com]
>
> Best,
> Gary

One little problem, Gary... the Heritage doesn't LOOK like the Hoss! grinning smiley

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
November 05, 2009 07:02AM
You know Gary, The first time I saw a picture of the "Hoss" I thought, "What the Devil is that?" Now I can't help but sit and gawk at it. Awesome piece. So very not what you'd expect, yet it seems to all make sense when you take the time to look at it. Out of curiousity, how many of them have you made? Everytime pictures of it show up I believe Julio's name is dropped and I remember a page about a unique box that was built, but have you done more than one?
November 05, 2009 02:22PM
Hello Griffin,

Thanks. It's a very special pc.

I have another about half finished for a lady collector who enjoyed shooting that first one which is owned by Julio.

I have alot of ideas. I don't often get back to previous good ideas. Not enough time to go around.

Best,
Gary
November 05, 2009 02:25PM
Griffin, this gun is a blast to shoot! Kelli, my wife, and I shot our 20 station woods walk rotating between the Hoss 45, Victory 32 and Rendezvous 25. The targets are steel reactive on rebar hangers from 30 - 75 yards. Kelli only missed a few and I shot clean including the two longest shots with the Hoss. Gary developed an accurate hold for these pistols shown here. Bob_Vic32SS.jpeg This is Bob with his Victory 32 in pistol format.
Kent
November 05, 2009 02:34PM
Hi Kent,

Thanks for the pic.

Here's another relevant page. Hoss at Standing Stone 4

thumbs up

Gary
November 06, 2009 03:13PM
Thanks Kent and Gary for the info. The hold looks pretty interesting. Seems like it would "lock" everything into place to give a pretty stable platform. My guess is that it's intended for longer pistols like the Vistory or the Hoss. I can just imagine someone trying it with a tiny little pocket pistol and having the action get caught in their shirtsleeve or something. Or getting burned by the muzzle blast of a powder burner.

Gary, what is the finish on the Victory in the picture? I've seen the pics of them in stainless (polished) but this doesn't seem to have the same sheen as those. I think I like it better than the high polished stainless. And Gary, did you say you're building for a collector? do you just figure it'll end up sitting unused anyway, so at least you know where this one is headed?surprised Oh well, at least you said she's shot before.

Griffin
November 08, 2009 10:34PM
Hi Griffin,

The Victory shown is in "brushed stainless". Also brushed billet work as well.

On the contrary, I guess I used the wrong word. The lady in question, is a crack shot, and will use the gun quite a bit. In fact, the entire family shoot, and all do very well. It will be appreciated and enjoyed. That makes it an enjoyable build. The fact that the family owns several Barnes guns, caused me to use the term "collector".

Gary
November 09, 2009 03:56AM
Mmmmm.....stainless......

Did I mention that it rains here a LOT?
November 09, 2009 02:29PM
Yeah ... for rainy areas, I always make the guns so you can let them leaning against the post on the front porch. No need to actually bring them inside at all! wink

A good plastic stock would be a good option too! hehe

Gary
November 10, 2009 08:48PM
No need for any of that pesky wood that way, for sure. eye rolling smiley
November 10, 2009 11:40PM
Here's one to bang your head on the wall.knucklehead

The plastic stocked Remington Nylon 66 is now a collectable with only a little over a million made between 1959-89. The rarest is the bicentenial model with just over 10 thousand made. It now is valued at $1000 in mint condition. Checked on auction and sure enough an altered (less valuable) one went for $630!! The standard models were priced 49.99 new. One of the descriptions reads "These were plastic before plastic was cool!!!" more confused When has plastic ever been cool, except to the touch?

Ahhh... plastic with wood graining and a white diamond on the forestock. I can feel the cool nylon on my cheek. You better be careful Gary, does that white diamond sound familiar?? Is this were you had your inspiration?whistling The Remington lawyers will be calling about this "Black Diamond" thing.

To all those Nylon 66 collectors reading, no offense intended.more innocent

Kent
November 11, 2009 02:32AM
Oh thanks Kent! Now I have to go and re-evaluate all I ever believed about value and quality and what is fair and just! Yeeesh!
November 11, 2009 06:26PM
Kent,

This most likely goes along with the "BOX" collectors. If you have grungy cap pistol from 1950, you are the proud owner of perhaps a $50 collectable. NOW ... if you ALSO have the BOX that it came in from 1950 ... WELL!!!!! THEN you are in tall cotton indeed! You can probably tack on another thousand dollars for the box. THAT's the state of real collecting today.

Hummm .... what of all those Barnes owners who told me they immediately burned the custom crate I sent their guns in. I suspect that, by now, those crates are worth far more than the guns themselves!! eye popping smiley haha.

Gary
November 12, 2009 06:30PM
I better start having Gary crate up my guns and ship them to me rather than deliver them via plane in a gun case! I still have all those plastic gun cases, do you think they are now worth a grand? rolling happy smiley On my Yukon, could you spell Barnes without the "e"? I think that kind of "mistake" would make it really rare, like a mis-stamped penny, it could be worth zillions!excited

Kent
November 12, 2009 11:47PM
That's right ... three legged Bison ... that sort of thing.

I could forget the hole in the barrel! wink

You get the aftermarket all wound up waiting to invest in the mistakes, and I'll see what I can do!! take a bow

GAry
November 13, 2009 12:40AM
Nuts! I have the box for the Woodsman and Maverick but made the costly mistake of picking up the P3. I guess I'll have to just go ahead and unload it now as it will never be worth much....
November 13, 2009 05:01AM
You just let me know on that Woody there, Jerry....I guess I could take that old junker off your hands if I had to. Of course it wouldn't be worth much, seeing as it's been used and you don't have the original box. ; )
January 15, 2013 01:14AM
I just love this gun!!

Gary is there any updates to the half finished one?

Take care

Greg
January 15, 2013 02:41PM
Just saw your request about the HAWG. That was completed and went to Texas. I'll try to find a link for you. Thks. Gary
January 15, 2013 10:48PM
Saw it thanks very cool gun.

If you ever do another Hoss I would love to know about it.

Take care

Greg
January 16, 2013 02:43AM
Thank you Greg,

Stay in touch. Keep watching.

Oddly - stars align sometime. You are the second person within the week to inquire about the Hoss. And, I've been thinking along the lines of the design for future development.

My over-riding drive is to get the shops functional. That is almost here. The next phase is to finalize the disposition of my Maryland home. After that is put into motion ... I will dive into the ledger projects of which most are from 75%-90% complete. That will still take a lot of time and effort. In that mix, I will be finishing a Hoss pistol for one of my lady collectors. We've referred to it as the "Hossette" for some time now. winking smiley

Best,
Gary
January 18, 2013 02:32AM
Sounds good, I will keep watching ( and remember I have been after Hoss for about 4-5 years lol)

Take care and I will be following
January 18, 2013 05:39PM
perfecttttt
Anonymous User
February 14, 2013 06:35PM
Such a beautiful and interesting design. This caught my eye long ago.
February 15, 2013 12:41AM
Thanks Don,
I need to whip up another batch of these. hahah. Man ... this move is killin' me. I want to get back to work.
Hey - I want one too - if it helps. winking smiley
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021