Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Stock Carving - Finishing Progresses (Comparison Pic Added)

Rendezvous 25 Magnum
January 18, 2009 06:56PM
This rifle is almost ready to go out. Rendezvous 25 Magnum.

Just to remind you. Quite a few customers just purchased open ledger slots. "To Be Determined Later". And, quite a few bought multiple slots. That's part of the reason why you often see things going out, that were never on the catalog.

These stocks will get a few more coats of gunstock oil, however; they were mounted to take a look see.

This rifle has quite a variety of power adjustment. Therefore; it can shoot 25 pellets at very mild velocities and be very quiet. Or, it can be turned up, shoot the Barnes 9 ring 84 grain 25 custom slug (Which can be had thru Surefire Casting) ... and we clocked 148+ foot pounds of energy at the Range one day IIRC. It's on the custom slug page. I have to check. We also shot some rounds at 1,300 fps+ Great rifle.

Rendezvous 25 a.jpg

Rendezvous 25 b.jpg

Rendezvous 25 c.jpg

Rendezvous 25 d.jpg

Rendezvous 25 Magnum e.jpg

Rendezvous 25 Magnum f.jpg

shooter

Gary
Re: Rendezvous 25 Magnum
January 18, 2009 11:48PM
That is BEAUTIFUL!

I'm curious about the poweer adjusting mechanism. Is it just a smooth turning knob? Or, does it "click"? And how do you lock it to keep it from spontaneously changing power?
January 19, 2009 02:56AM
Hello Scott,

No, I'm afraid it's not that simple. It's setting the hammer (which has multiple sear positions), and balancing it with hammer pre-load sets. This will cause the gun to move to a different state of balance - changing the pressure curve for the gun as well.

Any given setting will be repeatable, but must be plotted and recalled. Then, a few minutes can set the gun for a different purpose, where it will fuction, until set to any other level. It will be relative to the projectile you want to shoot, at the velocity you want to shoot. The gun can then be quickly "tuned" to come into balance for that set of variables.

A PCP is a quite complex machine. It's always seeking balance. There can be some degree of power adjust with various mechanical wheel systems (changing spring pre-loads or partially blocking the strike or the hammer), but very wide power bands adjustments, require resetting a variety of conditions in the gun - and not just one component.

Thanks,

Gary
January 19, 2009 08:11PM
Scott,

Just occured to me ... I never said this part: The hammer stroke can be adjusted without taking it out of the gun ... takes a minute or less (with no tools), and the hammer pre-load spring set can be adjusted by threading off the brass knurled knob (under the barrel), and swapping out a pre-determined spacer (no tools again). Takes another minute.

You've thus changed the entire nature of the gun from relaxed yard shooting, to firebreathing beast. Or, anything in between. And, this thing will really "KRACK!!!!!" when it runs Supersonic. shooter

Gary
January 21, 2009 03:22AM
That adjustment system actually makes since. Even more so after reading the previous replies to Roose on shots-per-fill.
January 19, 2009 03:40AM
Nice! Bet that'll push some heavies.shooter
January 19, 2009 05:11AM
Also sounds like a very versatile gun, despite the extra effort of set-up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 19, 2009 03:30PM
The Rendezvous .25 Magnum is an awesome gun. It is very light even after putting on a full size scope. The power it can get to is pretty amazing too. 148 FPE from a .25? Ya just don't see THAT everyday. surprised

Given my experience with the Maverick that has a similar size butt reservoir, I'll bet the Rendezvous can tune down to give a good twenty shots with light slugs or pellets.

The range of adjustability is huge but the real value of this gun doesn't lie in the stats. Just look at it! Nice work Gary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2009 03:32PM by Jerry.
January 19, 2009 07:57PM
Thanks Jerry,

I'm glad you like it. smiling smiley

The Maverick is definitely a close cousin of the Rendezvous 25, as Jim's Scout is an Uncle. ;?)

I'm glad I had a can of that "Oak Carving" to spread on there!

Gary
January 19, 2009 05:41PM
Awesome Gun!

Amazing look, amazing performance (and variety of of applications)!

I have a group of friends (there is five of us now) who all have .25 caliber airgun, and we have a sort of 25 club. I could not wait to tell them about your new creation, Gary.
January 19, 2009 06:16PM
Yep, that's nice alright, almost too nice to shoot!thumbs up
Cheers
Neil
January 19, 2009 07:03PM
This reminds me very much of my Scout 45 . . . I'd guess it's about the same power class too. It also has the "lamb's tongue" and cocks forward (instead of back) like the Scout. Hammer tube is forward and reservoir / intake are aft . . . again, like the Scout.

Oh yeah . . . brass slide breech and "floating receiver" too. thumbs up

Nice work.

-- Jim
January 19, 2009 07:52PM
That's right Jim, it's much like the Scout. Especially with the Slide Breech mod.

Glad you like it!

Gary coffee
January 19, 2009 10:33PM
Hi Jim,

I wish we had some more time to help Gary "test" this .25. I was hoping to get some BC data on the .25 slugs and maybe some more groups too. Sadly (for me), this gun will be off to its waiting owner very soon never to be heard from again.... crying
January 19, 2009 08:01PM
Hi Neil,

Naw ... won't hurt it. It will just make the stocks develop a more mellow glow. coffee Glad you like it. Thanks for saying so.

Gary
January 19, 2009 11:22PM
Gary,

It looks great, I'm sure its new owner will be happy. Maybe we will see it at a future shoot.

Keith
January 20, 2009 10:11PM
Way Cool!

How do you load it?

dont remember seeing that one on the grid.... (but I'm blind half the time so I'nm not surprised......cool smiley )
January 20, 2009 10:47PM
GAry

very nice! Is that like the one I shot with you guys this past fall?
January 21, 2009 12:42AM
Joebill.

That IS the one you shot last Fall (when it was all raw steel and assembled for "function firing"). Since then, it's gone along thru sanding sessions with others, engraving sessions with others, bluing sessions, stocks, carving, finishing sessions. Now, in final field testing.

Gary
January 21, 2009 12:52AM
AHA - I thought so!

That baby shot great - it was extremely accurate! I have that target somewhere.....

Actually, I think Jerry or you might have posted it somewhere...my mind is elsewhere to day, what with work et al.

As always, you did a beautiful job with the finishing - I'm glad i didn't drop it/ding it/mess it up when I was shooting it - hehe

to whoever got this one....you will love it!
January 21, 2009 02:30AM
Thanks Bill!

You can't buy recomendations like that! hehe. take a bow

Gary
January 21, 2009 12:45PM
I'm a bit curious... what is the cocking effort?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
January 21, 2009 04:22PM
Simple to cock. Don't know ... 10-15 pounds? You push it forward, while holding the grip/lamb's tongue with the other hand. Seems very easy to me.

Gary
January 22, 2009 01:01AM
as I recall, cocking effort was no big deal at all!
January 22, 2009 05:08AM
I don't know why, but I keep thinking... bigbore, heavy slugs, high power... hefty cocking effort. 'Course, with age, even lifting a finger seems to take more effort than it did in my youth.

----------------------------------------------------------------
January 22, 2009 01:11PM
Some of Gary's heavier rifles do indeed have a lever to assist in cocking the gun. E.g., my Delta and a number of Bisons. I can tell you that it makes for a very pleasant shooting experience!

-- Jim
January 22, 2009 05:30PM
And others use a lever firing mechanism that doesn't need a super strong spring so the cocking effort is light. Even on high power the Prairie 3 is easy to cock, on low power it's easier than Timmy's Discovery...
Anonymous User
January 24, 2009 06:49PM
What's the weight of this one Gary, looks fit , and trim. Nice design!
February 02, 2009 05:37PM
Ya know Joe ... I'm not sure. Probably 5 pounds or there about. Very light.

Nice thing about this design (and the reverse with the reservoir under the barrel), is the ease of changing out caliber (due to the slide breech). Unlike other designs, the breech/slide/barrel is one assembly that can be swapped out and set in the rack. The real sweet deal is to swap from 25 to 32 (as they are the same OD). Thus the barrel clamp and breech threads are the same.

As time goes on, I keep refining and combining features which occur. Not possible to catalog them all. So, often they "morph" from the ledger order as placed.

Gary
February 08, 2009 04:34AM
I can attest to this being one sweet handling and beautiful gun. The sleek metal work and nice lines draws the gun right to the shoulder with the scope aligning with the shooting eye instantly. The same handling characteristics are present in the 45-08 which Gary used so effectively on his gray fox.

Gary has carved a beautiful oak leaf and acorn relief into the forearm and stock. The depth of the carving is unbelievable. The carving throws shadows and reflects the gloss of the wood throughout. The extensive carving is balanced by the clean lines of the metal work, the deep blue by the brass of the wedding bands and breech slider. Well done, and rare!!!

Gary has really outdone himself with the Rondezvous models. The sliding breech simplifies and increases the safety of the loading procedure while lessening the weight considerably over a bolt action design. The angled spring tube allows for the classic drop at the small of the stock.

This gun will eventually span what most on this forum would consider the low and mid power range of the big bores with both 25 and 32 caliber barrels. The high and magnum power ranges will be represented by the 45-08 as it will be outfitted with both a 45 and 58 caliber barrels respectively.

I'll eventually get some more pics of the 25/32 Rondezvous but until then heres the 45-08 in close up.

45 08 Rondezvous.JPG
February 08, 2009 05:00PM
Thanks for posting. smiling smiley

Great to see the rifles in the field. Very nice photography too!

Gary
February 09, 2009 04:14AM
Even with the plain and uncarved wood in that pic, the Rendezvous does look good. I also like that .25/.32 switch-barrel capability... this way, I wouldn't have to choose between .25 or .32! *wishes he had the money to get on the Ledger, when it opens again...* Oh, one thing... is there a cap for protecting the fill nipple, just in case?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 09, 2009 11:30PM
Airhog sells caps for Foster fittings that could be used for that purpose. I've actually got one...somewhere...
February 10, 2009 09:42AM
You know, Gary, it would be interesting to offer such an option, if you don't already... with all the brass details on that gun, a brass "Foster cap" would be a neat accessory. You could even offer different styles (thinks about a "bayonette" cap, or perhaps one in the shape of a squirrel-skull). *grins*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 10, 2009 01:24PM
Customer's decision, as to what they'd like to do. After I spend two hundred hours building the rifle, folks can drop on a five dollar fitting of their choice. winking smiley

Personally, I hate the things. Sorry. In 13 years, I've never needed one. Whenever I've seen them used, they were being dropped or rolling off the shooting bench into the dirt (to be put back on the gun in questionable condition). Or, they were stuck in a pocket, to be put back on the gun full of pocket lint.

Sure - you can tie it on a string. If you want to fiddle with the thing every few shots, God bless ya. winking smiley When I'm filling a gun, I'm holding it in one hand, attaching the quick fill, closing the bleeder, opening the tank valve, watching the gauge, closing the tank valve, bleeding the connection, putting the fill line back, trying not to bang the gun on everything around me. The last thing I need is another fiddly thing to fool with. When the gun isn't in use, it's in it's case.

Lots of personal choices.

Thanks,
Gary
February 10, 2009 04:46PM
I agree with Gary on this.... but the squirrel skull would be a cool bit of Bling.

Great, now I'm accessorizing a gun I dont have.......laughing again
February 10, 2009 04:48PM
Hey Dan,

You can start with the Squirrel Skull cap ... you can ALWAYS add a Barnes rifle to the kit later. idea

Gary
February 10, 2009 09:38PM
Dan... Gary's right. Though you could always have him make you a brass squirrel-skull Foster's cap, for that Very Special Day when you finally have a Barnes. *grins*

And Gary, I understand that. But your rifles are works of art, and I imagine many people display them. As Dan said, a bit of Bling would be a cool item. For when a Barnes is displayed, if not in the field. Though you could make a hinged, "flip-top" cap, couldn't you? *grins again*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 10, 2009 10:28PM
Funny guys......

Ok, how about a flip top squirrel skull....... now to decide on a model and caliber.......

As far as adding a rifle, thats up to Gary. I was finally in position to order one, and whilst pondering what and how big, Gary closes the ledger for a while. On the other hand, .... story of my life.... laughing again
February 10, 2009 10:38PM
Oh Dan, while timing is everything... I can't see improving your odds of a ledger spot by suggesting Gary's rifles need chrome squirrel heads for "bling!" rolling happy smiley
February 10, 2009 10:55PM
No no, not suggesting Gary's rifle need any improvement, I'm saying MY (as yet unordered) Rifle could be uniquely personalized......

And if Gary's, um, hesitant to provide that, maybe some squirell carvings on the stock? After all, the carvings GB did of the caveman and the Moutain goat are way cool.

On second thought, we have nothing that resembles the grey squirel in this part of Montana.... Buffalo skull?
February 10, 2009 11:11PM
And here I was going to head down to Kmart to buy a chrome skull valve stem cap and adapt it to my foster cap and then send it to you! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I guess I'll have to come up with some other project!
February 10, 2009 11:14PM
LOL!

I really appreciate the thought!
May 11, 2009 10:02PM
Thread brought forward.

Gary
Stock Carving - Finishing Progresses (Comparison Pic Added)
March 23, 2009 07:34PM
The stock is "now" ready to go to stock oil and go into the oven.

I spoke to the new owner. We discussed the several ways carvings can be finished. I told him that ... "if it were mine ..." and that was good enough. He asked me to finish it as if it were for myself. Therefore; here goes. The background has been given an antique mossy wash finish - I call "Heather". It yields a more high contrast completed project. Has a neat antique look, up close. Everything will really mellow nicely with the multiple coats of oil and with age. If you like it ... tell the new owner so. thumbs up

Stk_contrast1.jpg

Remember this pic? A few wood chips ago ... winking smiley

A_Appaloosa_layout 003.jpg

The next few pics, are with the stock sanded, and the background prepared. The last three, are with the start of the stock oil coats.

Appal. Stk. Contrast2.jpg

Appal. Stk. Contrast3.jpg

Appal. Stk. Contrast4.jpg

Appal. Stk. Contrast 5.jpg

Appal. Stk. Contrast6.jpg

Here's the background detail, way oversized to show the technique.

Appal. Stk. Contrast _Heather.jpg

Takes a good bit of work, and has to be done correctly so as to not have "hot spots" ... has to blend to the eye.

Now, we start applying the stock oil ...

Appal. Stk. Contrast7.jpg

Appal. Stk. Contrast8.jpg

Appal. Stk. Contrast9.jpg

I'll keep steel wooling, and cleaning between baked in coats of stock oil. It will keep getting more rich as it goes.

Gary

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2009 03:07PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Stock Carving - Finishing Progresses
March 23, 2009 08:40PM
it is good stock... I like it more....fantastic
March 23, 2009 08:46PM
Thank you, and welcome. I approved your registration awhile ago. Thanks for posting.

Gary
March 24, 2009 09:31PM
Forgot ... it's a satin sheen. Seems most agreeable to traditional stocks.

Sure - it will all mellow together. And, with this background, a "rub" here and there will just blend in. Another degree of finish would be to go in and rub out selective areas. However; you can't go everything all on one gun. And, the trick is to know when it's "complete". smoking smiley

Gary
March 23, 2009 08:53PM
hi gary,

which gun has got this stock? and how much is it ? I am new for airguns and I have Two toys. They are Daystate sports X2 (.177 calibre) and Evanix AR4(.177 cal.). they are nor powerfull guns. I want to have Barnes Tundra Magnum (.45 cal). ? send a mail today to mail@glbarnes.com
did you check it?

thanks....
March 23, 2009 09:08PM
Thank you. I'll check the mail and reply.

I appreciate your interest. If you wouldn't mind saying, where are you located?

Gary

You can check the catalog page, and please take note of the things explained there. Demand has been more than my ability to produce the guns. Thanks again. [www.glbarnes.com]
March 23, 2009 10:42PM
I am soooo jealous!! I so wished I could have jumped at that gun. The new owner (known to me winking smiley ) is a smart and lucky guy. What a beauty he's going to have to enjoy. It's going to be a treat everytime he goes to shoot. WE BETTER SEE SOME PICTURES! rolling happy smiley

That black-green is an excellent choice, it's like a mystery color...
March 23, 2009 10:56PM
Hi Gary--the carving and color looks great. Another beautiful rifle.

Kelly
March 24, 2009 02:55AM
Gary,

After a long day at work, looking a that stock made me smile!
cool smiley
Excellent work, Gary.

Scott
March 24, 2009 04:25PM
Holy Cow! Awesome stuff!

But... Heather? some significance to that? And that will mellow and age like the wood does?

gary must have been an engraver in a previous life.....
March 24, 2009 06:15PM
Sure. Heather is not one color. It's a blend of leaves, stems, and flowers, with shadows. It occured to me here, because I didn't like the way "greenish black with speckles and blotches" rolled off the tongue. winking smiley

Here it is at this point in it's finish cycle. This has about three coats of stock oil on it now. Couple of more ought to do it.

Heather 012a.jpg

You know .... "Heather".

take a bow coffee

Gary

(thanks for the compliment. Don't forget though, I'm an engraver in "this" life. ;?)
March 25, 2009 08:34PM
You make it look soooo simple and easy......LOL!
March 26, 2009 12:33AM
Thanks Dan,

The old joke ... just carve away everything that doesn't look like vines and leaves. whistling Thanks. coffee
March 24, 2009 07:00PM
Heather, yea... was having trouble getting past the girls name...... then your description of it refocused the addled brain....

a quick trip to Wikipedia and its all good..... now with that in mind, yes, Heather is an excellent description.

engraver in this life, yes, now that too has re emerged...like on knives, other airgun actions, and rings....

its amazing how fried you get from a week of hawking art to collectors..... had to come back to work to get some rest....

Will this stock have a satin or glossy finish?
March 24, 2009 08:06PM
Hi Dan,

Tough week eh? You should see how it affects the brain to "hawk art" to collectors for 35 years. take a bow

Gary
March 24, 2009 09:37PM
barnespneumatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Dan,
>
> Tough week eh? You should see how it affects the
> brain to "hawk art" to collectors for 35 years.
> take a bow
>
> Gary

yea.... I cant wait.....grinning smiley

Thats been the longest we've ever done a show. The wife is used to it.... but I didnt realize what a marathon I was getting into. 6 days of no shooting....
March 24, 2009 07:28PM
Well, it is truly beautiful, truly.

It has been very pleasing to see that stock project along the way.
March 24, 2009 10:33PM
Again, very nice work Gary.
March 24, 2009 11:34PM
Looks good and it will feel nice under the hand.thumbs up
March 25, 2009 03:36AM
Once again Gary I've never seen anything like it!!! eye popping smiley It is really going to "pop" when you set that stainless action in. Of course I like the carvng, but look how the contoured butt plate ties it all together. I hope the new owner will age and blend the stock with lots of shooting and show us some pics along the way. excited

I can tell he's a wise collector/patron as he has let the artist exercise his discretion in the details that only decades of experence and experimentation could concieve let alone create.

Great piece of work,

Kent
March 25, 2009 03:01PM
Thank you Kent,

I appreciate your comments ... value your opinion (as one who has allowed me to have artistic freedom on your projects as well).

Glad you liked it. thumbs up

Hey ... thanks for noticing the buttplate too. I didn't decide upon that until I knew if the customer would appreciate the contrasting background or not. Had he wanted the background natural, I'd have used a butterscotch color for the buttplate.

Gary
March 25, 2009 07:29AM
I don't think the owner will regret trusting your judgment Gary, it's....umm......splendiferous!take a bow
Cheers
Neil
March 25, 2009 06:44PM
Gary,
"artistic freedom"??? surprised No, No, No, you must have misunderstood. I'm sending you the
diagrams, color swatches and a pencil rubbing of an airgun I saw in a lithograph on vacation last year.
Please tell me you haven't started scratching on MY stock!!! All that flowery crap about experimentation is for that other guy, just like my medical school interview where I was going to work in rural Tenn in return for yard eggs and chickens! Just follow the diagrams and match the colors down at Home Depot so I can sleep at night.grinning smiley

No offense intended to all the Tenn farmers reading this.

Kent
March 25, 2009 08:11PM
laughing again Pencil rubbing is it? Great. Better than that vision in a dream you tried to explain last time! haha.

Hey ... my grandfather was a Tenn chicken farmer (before he started foolin' round with that Earhart woman!) He ran off just alittle before that flight of hers I seen in the newspaper. whistling

Gary
March 26, 2009 12:32AM
I laughed out in the shop later ... lithograph yet .... rubbing of a lithograph (time delay) ... haha. That should be real detailed. Can't wait to see it. haha.

smileys with beer

Gary
March 26, 2009 01:03AM
Glad to help with some of the "Best Medicine".laughing again

Seriously though it's got to be satisfying to know your newest creation is going o someone who "gets it". I know from talking with you and reading some of your posts elsewhere that this is not always the case.

Thanks for sharing so those who get it, can see it.take a bow

Kent
March 28, 2009 02:51PM
I've been too busy of late to post much, but I thought I'd add my voice to the chorus - I really like the way this has turned out cooler

Hey, it might actually be spring here in a week or so, and I might get outside!!!

Bill
March 28, 2009 03:28PM
Hi Joebill,

Good job. It's Spring here, and I'm thrilled about it!! Whahoo. smiling bouncing smiley

Hey ... aren't you the guy with the "Barn"? Ya don't have to go outside when you have a barn. haha. winking smiley That's what I need ... a barn. Maybe I'll check E-Bay .... hehe

Gary
March 28, 2009 06:16PM
GAry

I do indeed have a barn.... but I doubt it is big enough for the Woodsman! I would have to make a hellacious backstop so that I don't blow a hole thru the side !!!!
March 28, 2009 06:45PM
I just happen to have the plans for such a backstop... whistling
March 28, 2009 08:20PM
Hey Bill,

Did you note how a bit of duct seal stops our 58 slugs, Jerry's 62 Woodsman, and Kent's .357 mag.? It's amazing. All ya need is your very own Ballistic Bear ... or Super Gopher. Steel plate behind it for that once in a lifetime chance you'd miss from 20 yards. take a bow

Or, you can always stay warm and cozy in the barn, and set your targets outside. The bullets won't mind going out into the cold. hehe.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2009 08:22PM by barnespneumatic.
March 29, 2009 04:22AM
12:20 Saturday night / Sunday morning. Just applied the last coat of finish for the Appaloosa stock. Sweet. thumbs up coffee

Gary
March 29, 2009 04:44AM
So, 24 hrs and we'll see the action back in the stock? I know you have a backdrop already picked out for the photo shoot!! Can't wait to see it all together. Thanks for not being a stickler about not letting us see your work until its finished. You just love to tease to much for that to happen, don't you.

Kent
March 31, 2009 08:03PM
thats as nice as it gets , the heather colour really contrasts well against the oiled stock , its a fine example of what you cant just get from a mass produced anything , fine work indeed. as ever .
April 01, 2009 06:12PM
hey guys

have you found a better place to get duct seal than Home Depot ? I went there and they had like 6 lbs...which I doubt is going to be close to enough for a decent backer ;-(
April 01, 2009 06:28PM
Hi Bill,

I'd try Lowes too ... they seem to have the same stuff.

I'm sure you asked about additional stock up on some shelf. Things are often really there, if you can get someone to actually look for it. Or, I suspect the next shipment will be in within a week.

Gary
Anonymous User
July 11, 2010 01:32AM
148 fpe in 25 is just wicked........db
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021