Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Expedition Cases target plane

Posted by barnespneumatic 
Expedition Cases target plane
August 08, 2011 12:18AM
Hand Hammered from German Silver, these Expedition Cases are 2 3/8" from top to bottom. Take a look at the hunting scenes while I get some dinner. The case on the left is Serial Number 1 ... it's done in an Antique Matte finish. The one on the right, is Serial Number 2 .... it's fully polished inside and outside.

a_ExpeditionCases.jpg

I have many more pics, and close details. I'll be back. Wanted you to take a look.

100% handmade from flat sheet German Silver.

Pipe smoker

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2011 01:37AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Expedition Cases
August 08, 2011 02:19AM
Pretty.

What's the size?

will they tarnish like regular silver?

must of had a long supper. Dory

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2011 02:35AM by Dory.
August 08, 2011 02:42AM
Burger King Dory. Fine meals cannot be rushed. ;?) I've been processing pics.

They are far more tarnish resistant than Sterling. Much harder too. Another term is Nickel Silver. German Silver.

Got a ton of pics to post here now. Then the fun starts.

Gary
August 08, 2011 02:55AM
I guess I'm the only one that you got hooked. You usually don't post late on Sun.

Are they thick enough to carry Mentos in them? Dory

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2011 03:00AM by Dory.
August 08, 2011 03:00AM
Thank You ... Both are now SOLD.

These Expedition Cases are number 1 and number 2. Number 1 is the prototype and has a soft scuffed matte antique finish. Inside is smooth black nickel oxide from the annealing process. Number 2 is polished inside bright as is the outer case.

There is no "finish" on these items. They are solid German Silver. Everything is made from the flat sheet of material. Many different component designs were cut into the end of hardened tool steel punches. Punches are then arranged, and struck by hand to make a "coined" image. Hit it wrong, and ruin the entire case.

The hinges are integrally made from the same material. The catches snap nicely. They release smoothly. I've carried a case like this for many, many years, just loose in my pocket. I have never had a case open in my pocket. Yet they open with the flick of the thumb nail and forefinger pad.

I know some are anxious to know the details. Therefore: without more discussion now ... these cases are priced at $275us each. Your choice. Technically, the matte finish case would be a bit less. Being Serial number 1 ... that more than makes up for the difference. And please let me know if you can find anyone, working in the USA, who can duplicate one for the same price. Green bowing

I'll deal with sales by the order in which a request to buy arrives at my PM or e-mail. My e-mail is ...... mail@glbarnes.com

Hope you enjoy these heirloom quality cases. They are 6 cm or 2 and 5/16" tall from catch tip to hinge tip.

There will be NO ORDERS on these cases. They will appear as I have a chance to make them. Pipe smoker

Let me know what you think. Just because you post a comment on the page, doesn't mean I think you are gonna buy something. I've never hounded anyone for a sale. (I got "People" for that ... laughing ... hahhaah).

Gary

wow

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2011 08:37PM by barnespneumatic.
a_ExpeditionCase#1detail.jpg
a_ExpeditionCases#2closed.jpg
a_ExpeditionCase#1.jpg
a_ExpeditionCases#2.jpg
a_ExpeditionCases#1Matte_open.jpg
a_ExpeditionCases#2detail.jpg
a_ExpeditionCases#2details.jpg
a_moon.jpg
a_tree.jpg
a_ExpeditionCases#2polish_Sepa.jpg
August 08, 2011 03:01AM
Yes ... and the #1 Matte finish one is deeper inside than the polished one. Just the way I made these two. But - either would carry your Mentos.

Gary
August 08, 2011 03:27AM
Forgot ...

Case - 52 Buick 026.JPG

Cases carry this stamp on the center of the back shell.

Gary
August 08, 2011 07:31AM
Intricate Gary, and very special thumbs up
Regards
Neil
August 08, 2011 03:14PM
Now, I realize you immediately thought of a dozen things to do with an Expedition Case. However; ......

Say you are on an Expedition. Perhaps hiking in the Himalayas. At around 17,000 feet, you round a rock formation, and find an enormous clump of white fur and ice ... slumped against the rock wall. Upon investigating ... you realize it's a Yeti .... sadly ... deceased. Now, you realize you've made your claim to fame. But the corpse weighs at least 400 pounds, and it's frozen into the ice. You certainly can't pack that lot back down the mountain. So; you snap a few pics, and then you notice the mouth is gaped open. You pry out a canine tooth, and you clip a lock of hair.

And then .... WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THEM? whistling

a_ExpeditionCases#1Matte_open.jpg

Gary
August 09, 2011 01:46AM
WOW!

Very cool ! I particularly like your last soliloquy - It reminded me of the J Peterman catalog musings.....perhaps you should strike up a consignment deal with them ;-)

I don't believe they carry any "expedition cases".......
August 09, 2011 02:45AM
Gary
i would like to purchase #1 if it is still available.

Rick G.
August 09, 2011 10:18AM
Now that's an heirloom! Very nice work there, I bet there's a lot more they can hold besides Yeti DNA!
August 09, 2011 01:56PM
Well. thank you Rick. That's very kind of you. It is yours.

At your convenience. I will be happy to lay it aside for you. And, especially after waiting all these years for this old threadbare airgunsmith to complete your fine rifle. I knew there was a Yeti collector out there.

grinning smiley

Thank you, my friend.

Gary
August 09, 2011 01:58PM
Hello Rick,

My comment was misplaced. I am pleased to set it aside for you. Thank you, sincerely. See my comment a few down the page.

Gary

OK ... for some reason, the forum is not putting things in the correct space in the outline this am. Sorry. Hope you find it OK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2011 02:00PM by barnespneumatic.
August 10, 2011 07:44PM
Oh ... just a thought which came from several conversations I've had thru e-mail, PM, and ... heaven forbid ... even the telephone:

Yes ... I do see that some fool named the section "Gary's GUN Room". I can see that my repeated mention of "other things" being included was not convincing.

Since I made the first gun ... customers have been asking me to "Case" the guns. And, include in the case a bunch of tools, casting molds, and "Stuff". You know ... all those little oil bottles and patch tins, boxes for slugs, cleaning stuff, expedition cases, cleaning rags, target stamps, extra sight aperture inserts ..... stunned ..... hey! .... wait a darned minute!!!! Something in there ... let me read that again .... The Reader ..... Oh ... nice try!!!

The idea of sneaking in tools to make targets (such as I did in the glass showcase days) yeah. Those solid brass turned ink stamps with the inlaid polished stone tops that created multi-ring custom targets .... yes ... just like these two sitting here on my shelf dated 3/05. Hummm. That went well.

I've been having conversations with those with the courage to write ... hahah ... and I've been grumbling about the fact that I cannot dump a darned Apline out of my sack every week. And, for my sins, what I mostly get is silence. You may think that I am properly shut off from the world if nobody posts a comment on the forum for days ... BUT!!! Ah HAH!!! There are other outlets. People actually PM and e-mail. I don't know why either. Why, just a while ago a friend and I were remarking that you could get a half decent Chinese ceiling fan for the price of one of these handmade cases I posted. You see, I do get out .... winking smiley

OK ... clearly I need a cuppa coffee and more razor sharp mill shavings down my tee shirt ....

Gary
August 17, 2011 11:23AM
Gary,

The craftsmanship is beautiful, as always!
August 17, 2011 02:27PM
Thanks Scott!

smileys with beer
August 21, 2011 04:58PM
kinlder and thorpe ,, who are they /////// nice work .
August 21, 2011 06:12PM
A company which employs master engravers to ornament top end watches.

take a bow
Anonymous User
August 31, 2011 01:59AM
I,m sorry but comparing your work to a cieling fan to me is foolish. Just my opinion again and i do not understand if some people actually think before they speak. But this is just my opinion and i apologize if i have offended anyone.
August 31, 2011 03:35AM
Hello Don,

We were just kidding around Don. Thanks for the vote of support. The ceiling fan price comparison was from me. smileys with beer

Gary
August 31, 2011 07:58AM
like to say hello as this is my first post. your cases would make for a unique housing for a one of a kind time piece.
steve
Anonymous User
August 31, 2011 11:48AM
I understand Gary, i would be interested in one, but i would probably lose it.
August 31, 2011 02:53PM
Hello Watchman!

Welcome to the Rendevous Forum. We're glad to have you.

About 20 years ago, I used your fine idea. At the time, the kids were wearing what was sold under the name of "Pop Swatch". Plastic cased watches that popped inside a plastic spring ring, with their Tee shirt's material trapped between. Thus, the watch was embedded into the shirt. One of the models was a clear case, with an electromechanical movement. I thought it was neat, and made what appears to be an 18th century case for it. Ivory button. Brass case. Case pops open when released. Inside leaf spring just like the very old pocket watches.

It's one of the few things I've kept thru the years. That's actually my Great Grandfather's watch chain. Thought you might like to see it. I snapped some quick pics here on the desk.

Pocket Watch 002.JPG

Pocket Watch 004.JPG

Pocket Watch 007.JPG

Pocket Watch 009.JPG

I also got your e-mail. I will answer that privately.

Thanks for joining in!

Best,
Gary
August 31, 2011 04:51PM
Gary. thanks for the welcome. that watch you made is very neat and you should add watchmaker to your title.looks like a spaceview. i spend all my time fixing but never actually produced a watch. although i contemplated many times. here is a pic of the older types i usually service. thanks again for the welcome and i'll stay on topic in the future
steve
DSC01469 (200x150).jpg
August 31, 2011 05:06PM
Hello Steve,

Very nice. I love those.

I also have a very old intricate cased fuse watch. Love mechanical things.

We're flexible on the topics. Seems we mostly appreciate similar things.

Best,
Gary
September 01, 2011 12:14PM
post a pic of that fusee. would love to see it. i think i have one in the shop right now but man are they a pain to work on. when i was more ambitious i made a replacement link for that little chain. never again
steve
September 09, 2011 06:47PM
barnespneumatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A company which employs master engravers to
> ornament top end watches.
>
> take a bow
. exactly ,,, and you knock it out here and include it in the price , they have been known to do the odd fine handmade gun too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021