Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tutorial on filling PCPs with air

Posted by barnespneumatic 
Tutorial on filling PCPs with air
August 22, 2015 03:29PM
I'll do this in segments. Check back occasionally. You can comment on the threads. Ask questions.

Let's start at the beginning.

Anymore; I ship the rifles empty of air. However; in normal use, the hammer (which is usually a linear hammer design of a steel slug riding inside a hammer tube) ... in normal use, this hammer lays against the firing pin when at rest. In normal use, the air inside the gun is pushing the firing valve head shut, and that firing pin is usually attached to the valve head. This firing pin is what is hit by the hammer, during firing, to momentarily pop open the valve. This lets out a burst of air to fire the gun. The residual air pressure, inside the reservoir; pushes the valve head shut again, after the hammer has knocked it open. Remember, that valve head (which seals the air reservoir), is also attached to the firing pin. So; when the valve closes, the firing pin resets to its pre-fired position, and pushes the hammer back along with it. You see, the hammer is under a preload of spring pressure. Even at rest, the hammer has a strong spring pressure which is pushing against the firing pin. IF there were no air in the reservoir (as when shipped) then this preload on the spring, pushing on the firing pin, pushing on the valve head .... would keep it open. This would preventing you from ever filling the rifle with air, because the valve would be held open. We will continue with how to overcome this problem, whenever the rifle is empty of air and needs to be filled.

If your experience is a bit rusty or you have never heard this before, you better read and absorb that last paragraph forty times or so. It is critical to understanding a PCP rifle.

We will continue...

Gary
Re: Tutorial on filling PCPs with air
August 22, 2015 07:45PM
Hey Gary,
That is critical information and a really good start (yeah, like you really need me to tell YOU that... Ha!). I finally got a lengthy post to work for TommyG, and I hope it helps. It will be interesting to see where this goes!
Later,
Jeff
Sal
August 22, 2015 08:05PM
Thanks for doing this Gary, I foresee some great information coming.
August 22, 2015 09:01PM
I for one will be reading And always take advice on new WMD 's

Thanks
Kurt
August 28, 2015 03:32PM
To continue:

A PCP Rifle is a unique machine. It's not like a lawnmower which you can fill and run til it's empty. The PCP machine must always be kept in balance to perform it's task. When the hammer knocks the valve open, it ports a blast of air. It is the residual air in the resivore which closes the firing valve and seals the gun again. When the gun fired last, it reduced the psi in the reservoir. That means there is now less pressure holding the valve shut. It will be marginally easier to knock the valve open the next time. Once knocked open, there will be yet another reduction in psi. This process continues. Each time the psi is reduced in the reservoir, the remaining psi takes just a bit longer to close the valve. This is referred to as the valve "floating" open longer. This allows more of the remaining psi reservoir air to escape each time.

Shorted duration of higher pressure air. Longer duration of lower pressure air. This is the self regulating action of the PCP Machine. It is up to the Airgun Smith to extend and balance this desire of the PCP.

Sore shoulder this am. Typing Left handed. I'll do more later more efficiently Right handed. Hope it all makes sence.

Gary
August 29, 2015 03:01AM
Hey Gary,
That's some pretty good work for a lefty! Thanks for the additional info. I'm enjoying it.
Later,
Jeff
August 31, 2015 12:10AM
take a bow

Thks Jeff.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 54
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021