Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Julio ... Nautilus flask valve repair

Julio ... Nautilus flask valve repair
May 07, 2011 12:47AM
We had a part fail in the Nautilus' valve. I hadn't realized this particular part would see the stresses that it evidently found.

I've spent today finishing up the repair I started some time ago. I made the duplicate part from a very high grade of tool steel. I also used a "triple drawn" temper process to make it as tough as I could. I hope it all works.

Upon putting it back together, I found that the valve seat had been messed up by the broken part. This happens easily when you are uncertain what is happening ... and take another few shots. The broken part is now misaligned, and is slammed into other things under great force. That usually does twice the damage as the initial break. All part of the game.

So, I made this tool steel part.

Double Rainbow and Nautilus 007.JPG

Here, I'm about to seperate it from the bar of 3/4" solid tool steel it was made from. I'd used the bar itself, along the way, to hold it for turning, milling, drilling, grinding, polishing. Now it was time to harden, sand, temper, and repeat two more times.

Double Rainbow and Nautilus 023.JPG

Shaving extremely fine ribbons from the damaged valve seat. Followed by shaving the annulus walls, and forming the seat.

Double Rainbow and Nautilus 024.JPG

All reassembled and pressurized.

thumbs up

If I only had the rest of the gun, I'd shoot the beast. haha,

In the mail Monday.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2011 12:51AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Julio ... Nautilus flask valve repair
May 07, 2011 01:04AM
Another note to everybody waiting.

I am, actually, feeling improved. I'm very grateful for that. It's not perfect. I get a nasty headache between 4 and 5 pm ... every day like clockwork. And, my lower back is constantly weak. Odd, because when the other pains were killing my hips and legs ... the lower back was fine. Whatever; I'll take it. I've had more endurance. Been working far longer hours. Actually, that's most likely what's up with the other pains. I'm working far longer hours ... which is tiring the back ... and the headaches are definitely stress related.

I've been trying to clean up so many things that were left incomplete before. Hardly because I didn't have the attention span to finish .... but because I felt so horrible that I had to leave it. By the next day ... or next week ... the train of thought was broken ... and something else had arisen it's ugly head as a higher priority. So; what's left are dozens of projects that have countless hours invested in them, which have laid dormant until that day. It's been my intention to clean up as many as I can, while still making progress on the strict ledger guns. Some of those are in the same category. For instance ... this gun has a particularly nasty segment to do, which certainly could not be done when I felt like death. So; now it's there ... and I have to refresh my memory on where I am ... and jump back in at an ugly portion of the project. The stress I aluded to, is the result of the fact that sooooo many of the things I'm trying to clean up ... were stopped just because they were at some head banging segment of the task. Others are just eternal stress generators ... like that darned Estate nightmare of my parents that will never, ever be solved.

Well, that's the nutshell version. I am feeling improved. It's not, at all, because I "am" improved. It's just that the drugs are doing a better job of masking the reality of my screwed up nervous system and broken down back. Lovely thought ... but we're big boys and can handle it. So; I've jumped back onto more projects than you could shake a dozen sticks at ... and most of them are at some PIA point of the build. Another lovely thought ... gee .... I WAS feeling better until I decided to tell you these things ..... stunned

hahaha. Well, it's only 9 pm ....

Gary
May 07, 2011 02:19AM
Thanks Gary!

As soon as I receive the butt flask, I will reconnect it to the Nautilus front end and a trip to the range will be booked. I'll keep you posted.wink
May 07, 2011 05:25AM
I've always felt that gun is an exceptional piece.

Way to stand behind you work.smileys with beer

Lon
May 10, 2011 06:16PM
One of my favorite guns. I remember the build. Glad you are able to hang in there, though all the pain and meds Gary.
May 10, 2011 09:26PM
Thanks Mike,

I appreciate it. I'm trying to stretch the benefits and get the most from it.

BTW Julio .... The flask will be there Wed. before 3 pm. (as your mail indicates with tracking nos.)

thumbs up

Gary
May 12, 2011 10:03AM
ive seen 20 000 leauges , and jules verne never had those probs , ah , its the technology , , lol , its always been a clasic , even when it was new it was old , at least you have sorted the problem , thats what counts , ,,,,the man who never made a mistake never made anything.
good to hear the meds are working better than they have been , headache wise , try the spanish method as a cure , power nap , siesta , through that part of the day .
worth a try , if its a routine that can fit into the day.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021