Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

32 Delta Stock Work - Added Pics - And More Pics

32 Delta Stock Work - Added Pics - And More Pics
February 16, 2009 03:18PM
I'll add in a couple of pics now that the oil finish is complete - added in to contrast with the earlier state of the stock.

Stock1.jpg

Stock2.jpg

Ah ... that's better. ;?)

If you look down the forum main page, you'll see another Delta 32 thread that had the action just blocked into the rough stock blank, enough to take it to the range for "function firing" to establish the power curve. I mentioned there that I'd remove a ton of wood to make the stock as light as possible.

Stock2.jpg

Precise material removed to inlet the action into the blank

Stock4.jpg

You start to get an idea of the finished rifle now. The trigger guard is card stock (or I like to call it "paper billet" ... whistling Guess I better make an aluminum billet version of that.

Stock5.jpg

Stock1.jpg

Now with the stock finish complete (except for final waxing)

This rifle was made to be as light as possible with a monster shroud, about 7 shots at 100 fpe, with an 800 fps min. I brought it in with 7-8 shots at approx. 125 fpe exceeding the fps target. It feels very nice to point. I think it will do the job nicely.

I'll now finish the grip areas, sand all, and start the stock oil finish.

Gary

Added Pics ....

Stock6.jpg

Lots and lots of sanding later ...

Stock7.jpg

Some nice organic curves.

Now ... to oil.

Gary

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2009 07:33PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: 32 Delta Stock Work - Added Pics
February 17, 2009 03:13PM
Is that mahogany?

Beautiful wood
February 17, 2009 04:15PM
Hello Dan,

Thanks. No - that's walnut.

I have it baking in the oven - baking in the stock oil. More pics later. Testing the completed gun Sat. shooter

Gary
February 17, 2009 04:33PM
Doesnt the Mrs. object to this thing sticking out of the oven? How do you hear the timer?laughing again

Serioulsy.... the heat treating doesnt hurt the wood? (warpage et al...)
February 17, 2009 07:01PM
Low heat ... special built drying oven. Super secret stuff ... very hush hush.

Yes - you do have to be careful - you can burn the finishes, and warp the wood. Careful control of the temp. is critical.

Yes ... I know. whistling

Gary
February 17, 2009 05:33PM
I was out trimming some trees on my Dad's tree farm, and ran across a couple of cherry trees mixed in with the walnuts and oaks.

Gary,
It got me thinking, have you made any stocks out of American cherry? The wood is a lot like mahogany starts out light, darkens over time and not to heavy. Dory
February 17, 2009 07:04PM
Yes - made some early stocks from Cherry.

It's much harder than mahog. It does darken (oxidize) yes. Can be quite pretty. You bet.

There are endless choices. I try to choose for the given usage.

Gary
Anonymous User
February 17, 2009 08:46PM
If you take Cherry and rub it with a solution of water and lye it will bring the color out making the wood a dark rich natural color. I did some cabinets like this a long time ago, they turned out very nice.
February 17, 2009 09:21PM
Those bench slots are great for grabbin'. Especially for holding steady for shooting groups. Good work Gary.

I have some pics of some very pretty figured cherry furniture we have. I'd post them but someone might have a heart attack when all of the ledger orders immediately shift to cherry stocks. drinking smiley

-- Jim
February 17, 2009 10:12PM
Jim,
Maybe it wouldn't be so bad. Gary didn't say that Cherry bothered him like Walnut does. Maybe he'd be happy if I asked that my Yukon be lye soaked, figured Cherry and polished blue steel instead of fancy Walnut and stainless? more confused
February 18, 2009 12:15AM
Titanium. I hear Gary just LOVES to work with titanium. hot smiley

-- Jim
February 17, 2009 11:25PM
Decisions, decisions. Far be it from ANY Barnes customer to completely change his order as it comes closer to the front of the ledger.

At least, not more than a dozen times or so. whistling
February 18, 2009 12:11AM
Now hold on there. I've not changed my order one bit, not even once. That was a pure hypothetical...
February 18, 2009 09:20AM
Like that monster shroud... gives it a very heavy-barrel look that blends into the action.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 18, 2009 04:28PM
Ive read and re read Gary's discussion of using figured wood (usually at work, while watching the systems...whistling). One thing I was stueck by in the close ups was how little chip there was from the milling. Its one thing to read it, but quite another to get a great example of it.

you can order your Barnes rifle with Ti parts? Cool.......
February 18, 2009 07:51PM
Joe,

How long do you let the water/lye set before you rinse it off? And how do you make the water lye solution? Dory
February 19, 2009 01:27AM
Actually, at the pace that Gary introduces new models and variations I suspect that NOBODY actually ends up with exactly the same gun they entered the ledger with. Unless they have multiple ledger spots running concurrently, in which they end up with ALL of them. eye popping smiley

Yeah...I'm just jealous...
Re: 32 Delta Stock Work - Added Pics - And More Pics
February 19, 2009 07:35PM
Added a couple of more pics. The stock is finished except for the final wax.

Gary
February 20, 2009 12:07AM
That came out real nice Gary. It must feel good that this gun is actually going to get used, unlike so many of the others that have become "vault queens." It's a pity that most of your customers buy top of the line airguns and then never shoot them. This one will immediately go into service and actually be a business tool. That's excellent. I wouldn't expect any posts on the subject here though! smiling smiley
February 20, 2009 01:28AM
Yeah ... I really think it will.

Will be fun to see.

Gary
February 20, 2009 01:33AM
Hey Gary,

I got this big walnut slab in my Dad's barn and some cherry 2" boards................. Ha Ha Dory
Anonymous User
February 20, 2009 11:11AM
Dory you just brush or wipe it on, the color change happens quickly. Seems the mixture was like 50/50 although I do remember experimenting with scap pieces to get it right.
February 22, 2009 05:38AM
Gary, I'm liking the look of those orgasmic curves....ummm, now did I spell that right?whistling

Seriously, niiiiiice finish on that stock. I'm greengrinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021