Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

On the way to the Wall

On the way to the Wall
July 02, 2011 12:16AM
Tech note first: Jim ... Forum speed and responce has been extremely spotty.

I've been burning the candle at both ends.

Bluing tanks, etc 009.JPG

Bluing tanks, etc 010.JPG

Bluing tanks, etc 014.JPG

Laying out for carving ...

Bluing tanks, etc 003.JPG

Bluing tanks, etc 008.JPG

Preparing parts and machining ... and sanding, and sanding, and sanding.

Bluing tanks, etc 016.JPG

Bluing tanks, etc 017.JPG

Bluing tanks, etc 018.JPG

Bluing tanks, etc 019.JPG

Getting ready for bluing. And then, I realize that some of the stuff I've prepared, is too long for my bluing tanks. Just never occured to me. I've run into very close calls before ... decided there was nothing for it ...

Bluing tanks, etc 020.JPG

Early one morning, I was at the steel supply place ... and ordered some sheet steel sheared. I had to be in town to make the prescription and pill run too. That muscle I'd pulled last Sunday a week ago ... was just not healing. The Monday previously scheduled appt. with the pain Doc for a regular appt., was goot timing. He decided to put me on an oral steriod to knock the back thing. I started taking them, but it just wasn't working. It was getting worse, as I was doing all this work. Breaks, Tens machine, muscle rubs, steriod, pain pills ... it was going down.

Bluing tanks, etc 023.JPG

I got the end caps welded onto these new bluing room tanks, and the back said ... injured

Last night was one of the worst I've spent in many years. Couldn't sit of stand. No way to get away from the pain. Started early this morning on the phone. And, all day today was trying to get treatment, or meds, and ice, and intense pain. Guess there's been too much talk about feeling better. At any rate ... it will heal, I suspect. This is what I've been doing, on the way to the wall.

Hope you all have a fine 4th of July. thumbs up

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2011 12:19AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: On the way to the Wall
July 02, 2011 12:42AM
Hope you find some relief.

So what's the longest pan. Doesn't look like you got a 48 incher yet. Dory
July 02, 2011 02:03AM
Hi Dory,

Yep - they are 48" inside. thumbs up

Gary
July 02, 2011 01:29AM
Awweee GB. I sincerely hope you feel better man. I still love seeing your work in progress. i love it.
July 02, 2011 02:05AM
Thanks Faz,

I've been "on ice" all evening. It's helped enough to hobble upstairs. Progress. dig it
July 02, 2011 02:07AM
Tony,

That's your clipping from your 60 year old cactus on the patio right there. Thanks again. It's doing fine.

Jim ... had to have a long tank to prepare for your Godzilla project ya know. Check off another progress point towards the eventual destruction of your right shoulder! laughing again

Gary
July 02, 2011 12:55PM
Hi Gary:

Cool . . . embedded mercury tubes in the buttstock Rigby-style, eh? shooter with bench rifle

The pain thing sucks, man. You were doing better, for longer than I can ever remember before. Must've over-done it.

P.S. I'll keep an eye on the forum re: performance etc. . . . seems fine so far. Deleted another Chinese "user" this AM.

-- Jim
July 03, 2011 12:26AM
Yeah Jim,

I don't know what's worse ... the pain, or watching eight hours of Swamp Loggers and Ax Men on the History Channel. Most of the sound track seemed to consist of "bleep", "bleep" ... "bleeped bleep" . Near as I could tell, they'd find a frayed cable attached to a tree they'd been using as an anchor. The cable looked like it was ready to snap. The tree was being pulled up by the roots from the stress. The equipment was all belching smoke and valve stems, and sounding like it was flying apart. One timid person would suggest that they may want to replace that cable and move to a new tree before everything blew apart and killed everyone. To which the rest would say ... "bleep" ... BLEEPeddeeBLEEP ... can't stop now. Oddly, the camera would be there to watch the tree roots pulling up and the cable fraying. Amazing timing and all. When the whole thing exploded in splinters, cables, rusty bolts, and falling timber ... everyone would dive for cover. The camera caught all of them doing it. Then, they'd start calling for the one missing guy ... and that particular show was over. Next episode would start with replaying half of the last show, for review and to achieve an appropriate stress level. Some guy would be found unhurt ... and the whole thing would start again.

Paul Senior certainly has left a lasting mark on fine TV. LOL!

The only other thing I've tought about watching is a CD I have of the Yule Log burning on a grate, that we play at Christmas.

Man - resting is quite a task. Kelly went to pick up a prescription for me, and the Pharmacy closed three minutes before. I think this is going well ... don't you?

crazy

Gary
July 03, 2011 01:57AM
Dude, that'll rot your head. knucklehead TV sucks. Read something, or even surf the internet . . . anything but 8 hours of TV.

I recommend E. Porter Alexander's "Fighting for the Confederacy" . . . best single book on the Civil War I've ever read. It's a memoir, but he originally wrote it for his kids, so it's very informal and quite enlightening. The Reader If you're interested, you can borrow my copy . . . we'll be up your way next weekend for Gettysburg Bike Week.

-- Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2011 01:58AM by admin.
July 03, 2011 03:17AM
Nothing worse than hitting the wall, especially when you were on a roll by the looks of things!
Get well soon
Neil
July 03, 2011 04:15AM
Hang in there! Even if you have to watch some crappy TV, it's bound to be better than doing more damage.
July 04, 2011 12:13AM
Thanks Neil,

You're right ... I'd just shifted into fifth, and accelerated ... when ... there it was .... why me

Gary
July 03, 2011 11:58PM
Hello Jim,

Fine ... just don't tell me how it turns out. I hate that. whistling

When you are in non-stop pain, you really don't have much in the way of concentration to offer. This has been the worst bout for quite a few years. Mornings are simply agony. All day, on ice, and I can sit here for a few. Mostly I'm twisting and squirming, trying to find any position that turns off the pain. Best case is just to get it to a sickening ache that doesn't stop.

Got some new med in me today. Makes me dizzy as heck - if it cuts inflamation ... so good.

Gary
July 04, 2011 12:09AM
BTW Jim,

For me ... forum just won't download. You click a prompt ... it clicks .. and just does nothing. Might get a progress bar that just sits there. Over and over and over. I have to just keep dumping the whole forum, and bringing it up again. Eventually - maybe after five times of dumping the forum, and bringing up it's url again ... I'll get an entry where it will act normal. What's up with that?

Thanks,
Gary
July 04, 2011 12:12AM
Just did it three more times to answer Neil. Wouldn't download the smilies ... wouldn't take the post. This time ... just blinked on and worked.

gary
July 03, 2011 10:12AM
Hey Gary, sorry to hear the back's given out again. Damn things are a bum design. Built for knuckle dragging you know, not all this modern two-legged nonsense. winking smiley

Discovery channel used to be decent TV, until they "deadly-ist-catched" the whole lineup. It's all gotta be dramatic music and sunburned rednecks doing dumb stuff 24-7 these days, preferably in an exotic location of doing something you've neve"r heard of. Every time I channel-surf across one of their shows these days, that line from from March of the Penguins (narrated by Morgan Freeman) keep popping into my head..."some of them may not survive" ...

we should be so lucky, it oughta be the producers. eye rolling smiley
July 03, 2011 04:51PM
Gary,

Never cared for reality TV, I have plenty of my own drama.

Amazing the way you don't let things stand in your way. Most people would complain that the government hadn't mandated longer tanks.

Hope you fell better dude. Happy Independence Day to all in the U.S.USA!  USA!

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2011 04:52PM by Bigbore.
July 04, 2011 12:01AM
Thanks Lon,

Hanging by a thread.

God Bless those who have served. I hope the powers that be, and the high command, are strongly judged for what they have committed the troops to, and how they handled themselves. If they were honorable men, I hope they are richly blessed. If they used men as pawns, I hope they are severely judged.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 26
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021