Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Couple new pics - Gary

Couple new pics - Gary
July 26, 2009 01:04AM
aJustice 005.jpg

Had to make another reamer ... taking very nice shavings.

Justice 004.JPG

Lathe turning.

aJustice 006.jpg

A Justice 87 action going together. (If it's yours, you know it. If not - I'm sorry - I'm working. It's now 9pm Sat. night and I just came in from the shop).

Justice 007.JPG

gonna be a barrel clamp ...

a09blockpartynRangeJerry_Gary 003.jpg

a neat cake that was brought to our party!

a09blockpartynRangeJerry_Gary 100.jpg

and ... the gopher fell off the perch ... and took on the look of Cesar! haha.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2009 09:08PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Couple new pics - Gary
July 26, 2009 02:00AM
That cake look good. It's peach season here. Dory

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2009 02:01AM by Dory.
July 26, 2009 02:49AM
Hmmm... an integral weaver mount, raidiused corners on the loading port and who knows what other improvements to the original Justice (basic hunter) design? That looks great Gary. I wonder if folks realize that the guns just keep getting better as you go?
July 26, 2009 05:56AM
You're pretty quick on the uptake Jerry, it took me a while to notice the new touches. Nice work as always, Gary. smiling smiley
July 26, 2009 03:28PM
Thanks Guys,

Yeah - I can't seem to help myself. I refine as I go. It's a curse. cooler

Gary
July 26, 2009 04:54PM
Gary,

Funny how we all see different things.

Now that I'm into my lathe I was more interested in your reamer, quick change tool post and tha wirey shavings coming off the part.

I just installed my QCTP and did my first perfect "facing".nerd

Oh, gun looks cool. winking smiley
July 26, 2009 09:17PM
Good for you. Glad you are enjoying the lathe.

Tips: Speed is extremely important. The faster you run - the smoother the cut (but you have to balance it with much lighter cuts). If the cut leaves a ragged toothed surface - it was most likely taken with too slow a spindle speed.

Most important wisdom for the day: Sharp cutters. Little known facts ... NEW lathe cutters, right out of the box ... are dull. Every one I've ever purchased was. But my luck is poor - you might do better. Sure ... they will "scrub off" metal shavings ... but they won't cleanly "cut". You must become an expert at sharpening tools, BEFORE you can learn anything about machining. Now .... drills and mill cutters arrive sharp. Some very small tools (hobby sort - Dremel, etc.) might be OK. Lathe tools over 1/4" always need to be sharpened to do good work - my experience.

Gary
July 26, 2009 09:39PM
Gary,

I'm sure it's just good luck but so far you've been right on the mark!wink

I stumbled onto the fast spindle/smooth surface thing through trial and error while waiting for your all emcompassing reply to my e-mail on lathe operation. I'll check my tools, I did expect them to arrive sharp.angry smiley

Hey, can you whip up a small set of reamers for me when you get some spare time?whistling

P.S. "You must become an expert at sharpening tools, BEFORE you can learn anything about machining"

Aw com'on, don't you want a few laughs out of my learning curve?rolling happy smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2009 09:43PM by Bigbore.
July 26, 2009 11:59PM
Lon,

A couple of laughs .... sure.

It's not fun though when a dull tiool grabs the work and jerks everything half way to Sunday. Breaks tools, ruins the parts, loosens machine tool settings, and can throw things. Nothing is more dangerous than a dull tool bit/cutter.

Get yourself a small "block" diamond sharpener. One I have has a groove down the center (I think actually for fish hooks). The thing is only about 3" long and an inch wide. Medium aggressive diamond drit. You can float a film of WD-40 on it, turn it over and strop the top of carbide cutters. That will freshed the actual edge. Diamond will eat carbide. Amazingly fast, even by hand. A grinder really won't touch it (unless it has a diamond wheel). And ... that diamond wheel on a cheap grinder you'll want has the grit on the SIDE of the wheel - NOT the face of the wheel. You set up a water drip on the side of the sheel (actually - into the hub area and it will coat the wheel) ... that's the lube for the diamond grinding.

Gary
July 27, 2009 08:51PM
love the mounts , no chance of a shift there , as ever its really nice to see the work in action shots , even if its frustrating stopping to show the action .
its still hard to believe that a few lumps of steel and a plank finish as a sum total greater than the individual parts.
looking good as ever.
thanks tom
July 30, 2009 09:21AM
I seem to remember making a lot of short, dark orange sparks on the grinding wheel back when. Mostly I was just making long bars of tool steel into short bars of tool steel, one grind at a time. Sometimes they'd even work OK on the lathe, most often not.

So with the new diamond wheels and water for lube there's no sparks at all, I'd assume. Do you keep an old-fashioned silicon carbide wheel around just for checking out the carbon level on steels?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021