Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dragon Skin Camo - NEW PICS ADDED

Dragon Skin Camo - NEW PICS ADDED
August 20, 2009 12:06AM
Here are some new pics, which show the two tone skin patterns combined for a bit more drama. cooler

Dragon Skin 003.JPG

Dragon Skin 004.JPG

Dragon Skin 005.JPG

Dragon Skin 006.JPG

Dragon Skin 008.JPG

Dragon Skin 009.JPG

Origonal post ........

The pics here are of "Dragon Skin Camo". (This is NOT Dory's finish ... which is "Twilight Camo").

The Rifle I refered to as Tundra 87 ... range tested so well, I decided to punch it up a notch or two during finishing. It now carries this unique finish, which is curing with Dory's now.

A_ Dragon Skin Camo 014.jpg

Dragon Skin Camo 011.JPG

Dragon Skin Camo 013.JPG

Dragon Skin Camo 023.JPG

Dragon Skin Camo 025.JPG

There are two different "Hues" here. One favors Brown ... one favors green. The gun's format will intermix both.

It's gonna be a wild ride when complete. take a bow

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2009 03:28PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Dragon Skin Camo
August 20, 2009 12:18AM
WOW! That's killer. thumbs up

I can guarantee it looks 1000% better in person than the pics show . . . can't wait to shoot that bad boy.

-- Jim
August 20, 2009 12:22AM
Ya might file that one away ....more innocent .... if ya know what I mean ... whistling

wink

Gary
August 20, 2009 01:07AM
That is AWESOME looking!!! Your designs are unique and extraordinary looking! I like them.
August 20, 2009 01:31AM
Thanks Peter ... glad you like it. coffee
August 20, 2009 01:29AM
Spiffy!

That's not all aluminum we're looking at, is it? Is part of it anodyzing and part of it blueing?

In any case, I'm also anxious to see how the complete rifle looks when it's finished.excited
August 20, 2009 01:49AM
If you look at ancient Japanese artifacts, you will find all manner of lacquer work finishes. This is a lacquer work finish of my own design. Hard and durable. It is applied to both the aluminum billet parts and the steel parts.

Bluing is a salt formed oxide finish for steel. Anodizing is an acid and electric finish for aluminum. Anodizing is the most complex of all of these finishes.

Before someone asks ... "So ... you mean it's JUST paint?" ... and I have to have a fit ... eye popping smiley ... I'll save us all from that. winking smiley If you consider a metal finish that will stand decades of freezing, extreme heat, rain, ice, snow, and grime ... it won't be "bluing". whistling However; take a good look at your car, and you will figure it out. I like to occasionally go this route because you'll end up with something that won't require careful wipe downs after use, won't mind alittle moisture or sweaty fingers, and will look great for a long, long time.

This material has to be specially applied, in the right order, under the correct circumstances. The blending and special effects are the art form. And, it's tough to boot. take a bow

Gary
August 20, 2009 01:34AM
I will join the chorus - I think that's the coolest pattern you've done yet!
August 20, 2009 01:49AM
Thanks Doc.

Gary
August 20, 2009 02:20AM
you're welcome....

you DO realize, though, that now you will have to re-create it, or a dragonskin similar to it, for a certain Gemini bullpup......a "mini-dragon" perhaps more innocent
August 20, 2009 12:14PM
Gee Doc,

I'll have to check my files. Did you ORDER dragon skin? You know I have a very strict policy against "fiddlinaroundwith" orders, once I've carved them in granite. hehe. whistling

You know ... THAT's probably why the filing cabinet drawers don't slide well. more confused It's those granite orders ... I should have used papyrus ... or parchment ... artist

winking smiley

We'll hook ya up.

Gary
August 20, 2009 06:11AM
Couldn't be a snake, had to be a "Dragon". eye popping smiley

Looks cool. thumbs up
August 20, 2009 11:06AM
I know what Gary will say . . . snakes .32 and above are classified as dragons. wink

-- Jim
August 20, 2009 12:16PM
That's right ... besides ... I HATE snakes. Nasty things. Now ... dragons, on the other hand, are interesting. winking smiley

Gary
August 20, 2009 03:33PM
Ok, now I'm scared.eye popping smiley

how much more cool stuff is in that brain of yours?

That is awesome!
August 20, 2009 08:03PM
That is certainly a spectacular finish Gary!take a bow

I trust no animals were harmed in the making of this gun...hot smiley...of the fire-breathing variety...

Regards

Neil
Re: Dragon Skin Camo - NEW PICS ADDED
August 20, 2009 08:31PM
Drama, huh?

are you suggesting we are a buncha drama queens or something????whistling

I bet that look would go well with figured mahogany...even more drama there - hehe

really does look great

Joebill
August 20, 2009 08:59PM
Gary,

what's under that? steel? aluminum? both?

Is there more prep, or a difference in prep for this type of finish? More or less time involved? artist

Cant wait to see the finished gun
August 20, 2009 10:00PM
I sure hope all of Joebill's angling for order changes isn't driving his order down the "to do" list! I on the other hand have given Gary a free hand to complete my Yukon anyway he sees fit...more innocent You see, I have faith in the creative mind. excited whistling rolling happy smiley
August 20, 2009 10:25PM
You're a Prince of a guy Jerry! grinning smiley Why can't everybody be like you ... whistling

hahah. rolling happy smiley

Nice try. smileys with beer

Gary
August 20, 2009 10:19PM
Ah, now the Drama queens REALLY come out.....whistling

"Look at me, I'm the good brother ! I'll take anything you give me! I'll post pictures and everything! " more innocent

well, I guess that makes me the "prodigal son" - hehe - we all know how THAT one came out!

I freely admit that I continue to change my mind everytime Gary posts some new idea...and I post pictures of wood...but hey, once Gary tells me "it's time" I'll be good to go

after all, I DO have one of the first (if not THE first) Woodsman - Gary had free rein on that oneshooter
August 20, 2009 10:24PM
Good try Joebill but I'm closer so I'll be telling Gary how great he is and how you keep changing things in person! While I hand him coffee just the way he likes it! Ha! I may even offer one of the kids to live in the shop and fetch cookies. So what are you going to do about that? rolling happy smiley
August 21, 2009 12:57AM
Jerry, Jerry, Jerry

Gary already KNOWS I'm nuts, so that won't be news to him !!!!

I'll just bide my time and then.........show up one day at Gary's shop with all sorts of pictures, videos, woodsman and....just like the Prodigal Son...Gary will be so overwhelmed that he will immediately forgive all my past transgressions, and set out a huge feast........don't worry , I'll make sure you're invited!!!

hahaha

Now back to our regularly scheduled program....

Dragons are certainly cool and appear in our stories going back 1000s of years in one form or another. I find it interesting that both Western and Eastern (esp China) cultures have dragons in them
August 21, 2009 03:32PM
As an aside....

Niether Native Americans nor Aboriginal Australians have dragons as part of their mythos....

(Native AMericans did have the "Thunderbird" whcih according to some interpretations could be dragonesque, but usually more like a big buzzard...)

But yea, most every other culture in the world has dragon myths.....

Vikings had dragons carved on the Bows of their ships......
August 22, 2009 06:18PM
QUOTE : "Now ... dragons, on the other hand, are interesting."

Hmmm...interesting. Personally, I'm pretty happy that we live in a completely dragon-free world. If even half of what the legends say was true, an infestation of dragons would require calling out the National Guard. Of course, if chickens were twenty feet tall, they'd eat grizzly bears for breakfast and eggs would be the most dangerous food in the world, so I guess everything is relative. winking smiley
August 23, 2009 02:30PM
Actually, I don't understand all this talk about "Myths", and .... "If there were dragons" ....

You guys are in denial. whistling

winking smiley

Gary
August 23, 2009 08:27PM
i hope thats not the skin from that nice wee dragon you had a few pot shots at a few months ago, what a finish , its really nice the way the two tones work together and play off each other.
its no wonder there arent many dragons left if thats what their skin looks like .. how about a dragon skin sling to go with it, tanned and buffed of course .
t
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 2
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021