Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tried out another slug for the .308

Tried out another slug for the .308
August 23, 2009 08:18AM
It was a bit windy but I was itching to try a few slugs that Bob Vogel sent me to test. I was particularly interested in the slug on the left in the picture below, a 161 grain HP (shown next to the 156 grain Spitzer)...

Well, my first group of the day was my best...

I was shooting off a 2900 psi fill as my air was getting low, and the slugs were leaving the barrel at 743 fps (197 fpe). They'll do better off a decent fill. I also shot one into the swimming pool to see how well they engraved and expanded

I think I might perservere with these slugs, as they seem to be nice and accurate, and look like they'll do some damage to anything that gets in their wayscared
My next best group was 1.098"ctc, and I also shot 1.4" and 2.6". My only Spitzer group in the windy conditions was 1.996" ctc.

Now here's a theory. You will have noticed how these slugs, just like the Spitzer in my post last week, leave oblong holes at the target. It looked like the Spitzers were at the limit of their stability, but these slugs do the same yet still print a fine group at this distance, Now, I'm thinking that it may be a combination of my target set-up and the long slugs.....These HP's are practically 1" long and my cardboard-backed target is stapled to a spacer 1/2" from the surface of the target board. So maybe the long slug hits the hard surface of the target board and the tail of the slugs flicks one way or the other as it is still passing through the cardbord, creating the uneven hole. Perhaps the ogive is to blame, and, with my set-up, a flat-nose slug would not "flick" in the same way...?more confused
Just a theory.

Regards

Neil
Re: Tried out another slug for the .308
August 23, 2009 06:42PM
Nice shooting there Neil!
August 23, 2009 07:00PM
Excellent shooting. Obviously a fine match for your barrel.

I suspect your paper is just compressing. The smears all are thicker between 8 and 10 o'clock. If the bullet were wobbling, I doubt it would be so consistent.

The only way to get a really clean hole is to back the paper solidly with something like 1/4" Lauan Plywood. Move the targets around some - then toss that backer for another. Anything that can compress will give a tear or odd smear. I've been shooting at a bunch of junk lately, and my big slugs want to tear a ribbon of target face off and drag it thru. Makes a mess. I need to prepare some better stuff when I care about trophy targets.

Gary
August 23, 2009 08:57PM
Cheers Gary. I will experiment with the backer and see if I can get some nice clean holes.

Neil
August 23, 2009 08:54PM
Thanks Peter!
August 23, 2009 09:38PM
Neil.

Thats a darned good group. And the RV slugs look very well made as usual. Now those are BULLETS.
August 24, 2009 06:06PM
Tofazfou Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neil.
>
> Thats a darned good group. And the RV slugs look
> very well made as usual. Now those are BULLETS.

Thanks! I had three different styles of slug to try and as I was weighing them and lubing them I had a feeling these particular slugs were going to do the business..they just had a look about them...and I wasn't disappointedgrinning smiley.

Regards

Neil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021