Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Target tip - for field use ideas

Target tip - for field use ideas
March 23, 2010 08:33PM
Hi Guys,

At Lowes, I've ran across some interesting things that could be useful for interesting target components.

Especially for big bore, there's a need to have heavy stuff. For my own use, it's also required to have something that can be seen above certain crops or grasses that might be growning in the fields we can shoot in.

The thing I ran across, that's very inexpensively priced ... are in the "concrete" section. There are very large iron spikes - from a foot to 4 feet long, and about 5/8" or 3/4" in diameter. Solid steel spikes, that come to a very sharp bullet nose point. (No, I'm not making a gun to shoot them, as has been rumored ... hahha). But, these spikes are also cross-drilled every few inches with about a 3/6" hole.

You'd have to use your imagination. You could hang things off the sides. You could string a wire between them. My thoughts run to "welding" things to them. Like hinged critters atop them. You can do that pretty simply if you have some basic garage equipment. Just big ole strap hinges are available too.

Farm / Urban supply stores like TSC have all sorts of raw supplies too - like raw iron/steel hinges that aren't galvanized or drilled. To be welded onto components. There are tons of agricultural replacement parts for discs, harrows, ploughs ...

I know everybody doesn't have a welder. But, you have (or can get) a cheap cordless drill. With these huge and cheap steel spikes (and especially since they are pilot drilled with holes all up and down the length) ... you'd have a great heavy base to make up something fun.

Just a tip.

Gary
Anonymous User
Re: Target tip - for field use ideas
March 25, 2010 12:33AM
That sounds like the beginnings of a plan Gary, I am going to check them out. Another good place to look for possible targets is flea markets and auctions.Sometime you can find old plow shares. They make excellent targets and are already rounded so the slug will deflect downward either left or right. Sounds like a stake or two and some plow points might make a good target. Since most plow point already have a hole for bolting you might be able to bolt it directly to a hinge.
March 25, 2010 02:01PM
There ya go. That's the way.

Yeah, I have to get a few of these steel stakes. Oddly, I cannot buy simple iron rod that size for that price. And, these are drilled with many holes, and pointed. Amazing value.

Gary
March 30, 2010 10:54AM
They're heavy-duty stakes made for setting concrete forms into place. You pound them in to set corners, sides, etc. and just nail your forms into place through one or more of the convienent holes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021