Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FIRST PICS ... 32 Mag sold off of Gary's Gun Room ... NEW TESTING NUMBERS POSTED !grinning smiley

FIRST PICS ... 32 Mag sold off of Gary's Gun Room ... NEW TESTING NUMBERS POSTED !grinning smiley
August 17, 2011 08:52PM
Here are a few snapped pics of the new "32 Magnum" action. It's ready for first fire. First things first though ... it will wait while I take Kelly to dinner. So; I'll post some numbers later this evening.

A few things to note. The side panels, and hammer tube tail are multi-tone bright and matte billet aluminum. Look carefully. You'll have a miror polished section on the other side of a line from the matte finish. The bolt handle is solid brass, and a back swept.

If you pick out the tiny cresents peeking thru the scope rail, note that I bolt my top ends on with machine screws large enough to feel comfortable with. Therefore, the access entry ports are larger, and when cleaned up, you'll note the machining is so precise that the little cresents are uniform all around. Rather than mill out these ports square and leave blanks in the dovetail (as I've done on some) on this one I decided to leave them whole.

Enjoy the look see. I think this is gonna be a powerful 32. I'm very sure it will top 200 foot pounds without much effort. We'll see later.

Pipe smoker

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2011 09:28PM by barnespneumatic.
Stamps - 32 Mag 014.JPG
Stamps - 32 Mag 017.JPG
Stamps - 32 Mag 019.JPG
Stamps - 32 Mag 016.JPG
Re: FIRST PICS ... new 32 Mag for Gary's Gun Room sale .... action only now
August 17, 2011 09:06PM
Forgot this one. Showing the hand engraved Barnes Logo ... embedded into the linear Art Deco design of the side plate.

Stamps - 32 Mag 018.JPG

Gary
August 17, 2011 09:21PM
Hi Gary,

So much attention to detail! New bolt design? Reading your lines it’s easy to infer that the first shot numbers are within your expectations. Are you celebrating the test results?

Enjoy your dinner,

Julio
August 18, 2011 12:53AM
A crowd is starting to form in anticipation!
August 18, 2011 12:54AM
I do like the contrast between the bright and the matte billet aluminum. The linear Art Deco is awesome, it creates another dimension in the contrast between the bright and the matte aluminum. bowing
August 18, 2011 01:24AM
Hummm, i like, i like. Very well done..Hope you got to enjoy your diner.

Rick G.
August 18, 2011 02:14AM
Not a bad first guess. I estimated where to start the psi curve. I choose a heavy 32 slug - my Totem Pole design .... which you see weighed here. Then, at the first fire ... you see the numbers coming in. I'll post more. Wanted to get this up there now.

Enjoy - Gary
First Fire 32 Mag 001.JPG
First Fire 32 Mag 002.JPG
First Fire 32 Mag 004.JPG
First Fire 32 Mag 005.JPG
August 18, 2011 02:22AM
Some more trial slugs. You have both ultra light Barnes 32 Hollow Base Pellet designs - both approx. 47 grains and a 97 grain version .... and then the classic Barnes Bishop .... at approx. 98 grains IIRC.

The gun came in right at the power numbers for the origonal Barnes Ranger Magnum. Only this gun is far lighter owing to the 1" diameter air tube.

I think the gun is a winner! Can't wait to stock it and get it to the range.

What do you think?

Gary
First Fire 32 Mag 008.JPG
First Fire 32 Mag 009.JPG
First Fire 32 Mag 010.JPG
First Fire 32 Mag 014.JPG
First Fire 32 Mag 011.JPG
Re: FIRST PICS ... new 32 Mag for Gary's Gun Room sale ... FIRST FIRE NUMBERS NOW POSTED!grinning smiley
August 18, 2011 02:26AM
Off to the range! Get some lights.... shooter
That is gonna be a serious squirrel hunting machine when you're done.

Even with the lightweight pellets, it's got .22LR power, and if it's anywhere close to as accurate as your previous generation of .32s no tree rat will be safe anywhere within sight.shooter with bench rifle
Re: FIRST PICS ... new 32 Mag for Gary's Gun Room sale ... FIRST FIRE NUMBERS NOW POSTED!grinning smiley
August 18, 2011 01:52PM
These are the first numbers. Seems that I just happened to hit it pretty close to ideal, right out of the box.

Note how even the three shot strings are. Even to the point of duplicate numbers in some strings. This shows that I could get another shot or two, by starting just a bit higher ... taking the first shot or two just above the plateau of the highest velocity.

It requires some field time to determine the ideal slug for the gun. I just grabbed a few that were available last evening. Too small a diameter (or too light) and the slug starts moving down the barrel before proper breech pressure is achieved. Too heavy or too tight, and you get drag. Too small and the rifling doesn't steer it correctly. Too tight, and you damage the slug and get streamers of lead coming off the slug. So - you don't usually just hit it perfect the first time.

Gonna be a great rifle in this power range and with it's light weight. Plenty of smoke for a fine varmint rifle. Definitely will have the accuracy for some long range accuracy too.

Gary
August 18, 2011 05:04PM
Oh! The heartache.

Micro engraving in the bottom corner of the receiver?

How do you cut your ball ends?

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2011 05:05PM by Bigbore.
August 18, 2011 05:34PM
Hi Lon,

I take it you mean such as the ends of the bolt brass, hammer tube knob, etc.

I lathe turn it and rough it by eye. Usually with a 60 degree pointed tool of about 1/2" square shank. It helps if you first scribe a line on the shaft you are about to form a ball on .... in to one half diameter of the shaft. So, I make my sweeping cut ... and then round it over with a mill file while it's spinning in the lathe. Be exceptionally careful if you cross your elbow over the spinning chuck.

Then, I go to sandpaper glued onto a flat strip of wood - about the size of a yard stick. Put about 220 grit on one side - and about 320 on the the other. Then, go to the buffing lathe.

Green bowing

Or ... you can spend a couple of big bucks on some ball jig attached to your cross carriage ... that sweeps the tool around in an arc. I suspect Allen will produce one in a catalog for about $30 if history serves me .... hahhahahah

Gary
That's awesome; I use the same "high-tech" procedures as Gary Barnes! One primitive step further though... I have no mill so I use an Atlas milling attachment to jig stuff up on my lathe. Takes about an hour to make any one five minute cut. And accuracy? Oh ya I've got accuracy! Give or take 5 or 10 thou'.
The gun looks like a winner Gary. Can't wait to see it in full dress.

Scott
August 18, 2011 07:29PM
Hi Scott,

Hey - accuracy is what your TV announcer says it is. hahah.

I love those shows where some craftsperson is saying ... "... I just let it speak to me ... and I follow my instincts where they lead me." Translation: "I'm completely unable to design, or accurately execute a design".

laughing

So .. if you can get 5-10 thou ... that's rocket science! hahaha

Gary
August 19, 2011 05:10AM
Gary,

I've been eyeing(agonizing)over a ball end cutter. Your stuff is done really well by hand. Hmmmmmmm.

Lon
By golly Gary that 1 1/4" $30.00 cutter does on heck of a job makin a channel...those ball end mills do get very pricey don't they...You are doing a fine job there on the wood and the metal pieces are beautiful...Allen.sunny
August 19, 2011 09:25PM
Thanks Allen,

Just for giggles though ... the guys were asking about ... not the channels .... but producing a "ball" on the end of a shaft. Such as the end of the brass bolt boss, and the end of the bolt handle. The end of the hammer tube is also a ball .... but I don't think that's been in a pic yet.

I've seen some rigs that will sweep a cutter around the end of a shaft spinning in the headstock of a lathe, but never had one. Just do it by eye.

I was kidding you whereas I'd find such an attachment for fifteenhundred .., I figured you'd find one for $30.

;?)

Gary
That ball on the end of the shaft thing...spent 65K for a CNC lathe that the computer does it for you...wish it was only $30.00 haha...Allen.
August 20, 2011 01:11AM
Well ... there ya go. $65K for your CNC mill.

Whenever I hear what readers have in their shops, I feel like I'm working with clubs and stone axes.

Green bowing

Gary
Now That is one Very Nice Varmint Rifle. Cary a 17cuft tank & shoot all day!

Rick G.
Very heavy duty and from what understand a 22 fire,s a 40 grain round at about 1200 fps.Very nice Gary.....
KUDOS! I like it. Very robust. Thats what i love about your guns........they don't look WIMPILY built. Heeeey, is that even a word?
August 19, 2011 02:39PM
Yes .... but I think there's another "M" in there somewhere ... hahaha.

Glad you like it.

Gary
Gary :

Its shaping up to be a beautiful rifle. Like Lon, I'm really impressed with your free hand machining work. Looking forward to seeing it all dressed up.

Karl
taht is very good values, but the last one was had defference between thirt one. why ?
August 19, 2011 05:52PM
Hello,

Because it's very early testing. For that slug, I should have started at about 3,300 psi. Then, the three would have been more balanced. The last number shows me that I didn't start high enough. ;?)

I've since tuned the action. It should now be more powerful. We shall see.

Best,
Gary
Looking verrrrrry niiiiice, Gary, I love that super-slick looking bolt handle. Mean figures for velocity/fpe already.....thumbs up
Cheers
Neil
August 20, 2011 02:40PM
Thanks Neil,

I'll try to get a pic of the action in stock today.

Gary
Your club,s and axe,s produce some of most beautiful functional artwork that exist,s, and NO one can dupicate this with computer numerical controlled equipment. I have worked on mori-sieki Hass bridgeport and even in a tool and die shop that had a lathe that was driven by a leather belt, and yes it was old. Poplar tool and die, bridgeport ct. Anyone ever heard of a shaper?
Florida...I read your post regarding duplication of parts...I want to make clear on your "NO" one can duplicate comment...anything can be digitised and downloaded to duplicate if that what the machinist is looking for...what Gary does free hand "old school" I agree with you...Hmmm.Shaper? Is it something like this?[www.google.com]
Allen.
Dear Allan, if you could duplicate the Alpine in every way. I myself including most likely everyone would be astounded...
Hello Florida...thanks for the reply...Our shop makes high performance parts for the snowmobile world...specifically parts that are part of the snowmobile clutch that spins at 10K rpm and they need to be exact and weight the same to keep balance...thats the kind of duplication I'am speaking of...now to want to duplicate Gary's Alpine I have no interest in doing that but there is the technology out there to duplicate just about anything...Kind regards, Allen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2011 12:22PM by allen avram.
a 3d work of art , and thats only the bolt
Well said...Allen.
I seriously doubt anyone would ever "reverse-engineer" any of Garys older designs like the Alpine or the Bison. Too much detail work to be practical by hand, not enough demand for their unique styling to justify the extensive programming it would take to do them by CNC. If it ever happened, it would be in Pakistan or India or another place where the labor rate is ridiculously low, and then the interior work would be sub-rate enough to ensure that it would never be a "shooter". Wall hanger, perhaps. But both a detailed equivalent AND a tack driver...never.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised to see some features from his newer models showing up on the higher-end factory PCPs out there if they somehow end up with a copy in their hot little hands. frown Perhaps not though, quality usually costs money to produce, and there seems to be a practical limit to what folks will pay for a factory clone.
Well said Rotorhead, and my thought,s exactly, i have lost the ability to converse properly. Have recieved my sam yang back from airgunsmith as mentioned earlier, and will take it to the range.
September 03, 2011 01:42AM
I'm going to use one of our smilies, which doesn't have a regular usage ... to indicate that particular items on the Gun Room have been sold. I'll use .... target plane ..... to indicate that the plane has left the gate on that particular opportunity.

I've accepted a handshake contract on the 32 Magnum. The Reverse Ledger has kicked off.

Thanks for watching!

Gary
September 04, 2011 09:40PM
I ran a bunch of lead thru the new rifle, and across the chronograph. The simple buckshot ball, went 1,107 fps for 130 foot pounds. The heavy Totem Pole Barnes Slug went about 772 for about 218 fpe IIRC. Correction here from posting a couple of hours ago: I mixed slugs in my mind. It was the Falcons at 71.3 grains that were the 996 performer. They are also always a very good slug in all calibers I've tested. The Bishops were right at 900 fps.

The pics are here.

It's turned into a great rifle. Exceptionally nice power range - you can do all sorts of things with this power range. I've made a few adjustments to make everything operate smooth and precise. I'm very happy with the rifle.

Thanks for reading.

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2011 02:39AM by barnespneumatic.
A_32Mag_doorway.jpg
32 Magnum Ballistics 006.JPG
32 Magnum Ballistics 002.JPG
32 Magnum Ballistics 021.JPG
32 Magnum Ballistics 015.JPG
32 Magnum Ballistics 013.JPG
32 Magnum Ballistics 017.JPG
32 Magnum Ballistics 016.JPG
Re: FIRST PICS ... 32 Mag sold off of Gary's Gun Room ... NEW TESTING NUMBERS POSTED !grinning smiley
September 06, 2011 06:08PM
I'm glad to hear that it's going to a good home. Hopefully, we'll see a photo from time to time once it gets all settled in.
Re: FIRST PICS ... 32 Mag sold off of Gary's Gun Room ... NEW TESTING NUMBERS POSTED !grinning smiley
September 06, 2011 06:52PM
Thanks Sean,

Me too. Steve is very interested in enjoying the hobby.

The gun is the first on the Reverse Ledger Program, so I'll have it a brief while. Hey - you could hasten the day by buying his tractor and back hoe rig ... hahah ... as per another thread. You could use it to move snow and dig for gold there in Alaska!

thumbs up

Gary
September 09, 2011 12:47AM
Sure, I'd love a tractor with a backhoe and a scoop. It's got a heated cab, right?

Nope? Hmmm...wonder what that's gonna cost to retrofit...and then there's shipping to consider. Think I can get it stuffed into a Priority Mail flat rate box?more confused
September 09, 2011 01:51AM
Heck - I'm sure Steve will drive it up. He's around the other upper corner of the States. Be a nice ROAD TRIP!!!!!! excited

Hey - sticks, plastic sheet, duck tape ... you can build any enclosure. USA!  USA!

Gary
September 09, 2011 01:59AM
you need the kubota b3000 hsdcc with the upgraded alternator and block heater, for alaska that would be the minimum. although i've been told with this setup you can plow snow in your pajamas and listen to tunes on the cd player. Oh i sure do love road trips but that would be toooo slow for my liking.
steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2011 02:01AM by watchman.
September 09, 2011 02:05AM
Gary, forgot to mention i like the shot of the 32 leaning. how about one resting on the grass with the leaves scattered? thought i saw one in an earlier postsmiling smiley
September 09, 2011 02:40PM
Hi Steve,

I'll get you some more pics. Especially when I get the stock oiled.

That will give the trees some time to produce the required color leaves. ;?)

Gary
September 09, 2011 04:55AM
Hmmm, the pajama thing sounds attractive, especially compared to slogging along behind the snowblower breathing exhaust fumes and wrestling the thing around until the next time it shears ANOTHER axle pin.

Of course, thats why I pay the guy down the street to come by with his full-sized Cat backhoe tractor and do it for me. laughing again

Even at forty bucks a half-hour, it's still a steal compared to the cost of buying one yourself. Just changing the hydraulic fluid for his last major maintenance cost him almost a grand. eye popping smiley Those big machines hold a lot of the stuff, apparently, and it ain't cheap.
I remember Monroe Ct in the morning with the snow and ice wall, and the long hill as we watched people spinning their tire,s all the way up to the stop sign. Driving to bridgeport in the morning and notice movement, and next to the stop sign was big buck staring at me. A bit bigger than the one,s you see here.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021