Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Field Testing

Field Testing
April 15, 2010 02:58PM
After the Dragon Insert showed more work needed, I was sitting there ... all set up ... and my purpose for testing complete. I recalled that I had the shop mule 8mm in the truck (put it in at the last minute - yeah).

Here are some shots taken from a bit of shooting and testing.

Dragon and 8mm field testing 005.JPG

I was shooting the 186 grain spitzer @ 725 fps here.

Dragon and 8mm field testing 008.JPG

Dragon and 8mm field testing 009.JPG

Holding off, fiddling with the scope X powers to learn the hold points for various slugs and pressures.

I had an orange paint can that has been most "unco-operative" recently ...

Set it out at 50 yards to just "think about" what it had done ...

Dragon and 8mm field testing 004.JPG

So ... that was my testing session.

Better get that Dragon insert corrected ...

Gary
Re: Field Testing
April 15, 2010 05:14PM
That "BAD" ole spray paint can deserved that shot. LOL.

So GB, whats wrong with the insert?
April 15, 2010 06:02PM
Hi Cedric,

Just needed another layer of back up sealing, to prevent the escape of blast between the T port and the insert body. Pc. of cake. Green bowing

Gary
April 15, 2010 06:25PM
Really Gary, was capital punishment really necessary for that poor can of paint ?More sad Did you not consider rehabilitation?
Hehe, what was that that flew off down and forwards on impact? I wouldn't imagine that it was any part of the slug...

Fine shooting with those spitzers! I notice the holes aren't clean and round, something that is evident in the spitzer targets I have shot, and other long bullet targets too. So I wonder if it is a long-bullet issue. Maybe they are spinning a little out of kilter, and /or they hit the target and start to tip as they pass throughmore confused

Cheers
Neil
April 16, 2010 04:24AM
These targets were on a lousy backer. I think that's actually the cause. They print pretty round, actually. I'll try to step up the backer - and see.

Gary

I saw something leaving the area on an angle too. Don't know. Looked sort of long and flat. Have to check the can to see if a ribbon was sheared off. The marble inside might leave - but I don't think it would look like that. ;?)
April 16, 2010 03:18PM
I used the slider on the player to step through the video as slow as I could. The bit leaving the front of the can just looks flat as the image is "smeared" a bit. One frame catches it more clearly and it is a good bit smaller than it appears in motion. It looks like a cut out disk from the target paper but I can't figure how that might have happened...
April 16, 2010 07:43PM
It's a mystery. Not that it's important ... but the target spot is still on the can ... (see still). I think we are talking about the object leaving the can toward the 1:30 - 2:00 position. Flipping end over end. Green bowing

Gary
May 03, 2010 08:00AM
It looks to me like the paint mist starts out of the exit hole even before it starts sprayint out of the entrance hole. Not logical, but that's the way it looked to me. Hmmm.... a bigger hole in the back, or were they about the same size?
May 03, 2010 06:49PM
well , im glad the insert needs a bit of tuning ......lol , in the nicest way poss , it leaves hope for the rest of us that struggle to get things right any of the time ,,,
its not about not working , its about knowing how to fix the problem , and i have no doubt it will be sorted
but
what on earth were you doing with such a can of paint to start with ,, now thats the question ,
a barnes tangerine to follow, a limited edition mandarin shooting jaffa squasher ,,, lol .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021