Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sorta Thought ....

Sorta Thought ....
April 25, 2010 06:34PM
The Demon Bird story might have brought out a LOT more 1377 stories and pics. Who's got modified ones? What was done to the trigger? Can anybody actually hit stuff? Who's selling good barrels for them?

Lon ... weren't you making parts for guns?

The way this trigger is designed, it would seem a complete new design would be required to get this pistol so you could actually pull the trigger while the scope was still on the target. The old "breaks like glass" is more like "breaks like a 2 by 4" on this. It was "breaks like a 4 by 6" as it was.

Common ... Lon and I can't be the only one that can type this weekend.

Gary
Re: Sorta Thought ....
April 25, 2010 07:30PM
Hi Gary,
I have a couple I've built up. The first three pictures are of my 1320. It has a 12" .20 caliber LW barrel, custom front plug and band, flat top piston and flat top valve, lighter trigger spring and guide. It is very accurate and it does get, at 10 pumps 506 fps, 15 pumps 581 fps, 20 pumps 625 fps and at 25 pumps 655 fps all with 14.3 grain Benjamin cylidricals. The lighter trigger spring definitly helps reduce the pull weight. Huge difference from stock. Also have more pictures of my 1377. This one has a Grant Stace breech, barrel band and front plug. Although I don't have it installed in these pictures, it currently has one of his roller triggers (little roller where the trigger contacts the sear) as well. Makes it even that much smoother. This gun also has custom wood made out of Hawaiian Milo wood. Overall, if the Crosman barrels are cleaned, recrowned and the pellet entrance is smoothed out, it does shoot pretty good. Hope you enjoy the pictures.
Gil 1.jpg
Gil 6.jpg
Gil 7.jpg
1377 Milo 4.jpg
1377 Milo 7.jpg
1377 Milo 8.jpg
April 26, 2010 12:54AM
Good going Donny!

Those are great. Very nice pics too.

That is really taking it to the max on a simple frame. Thanks for sharing. smileys with beer

Finally got that chrono. Now - when it stops raining, I can get finished up here. ;?)

Gary
April 27, 2010 04:27PM
Nice examples!wow

Lon
April 26, 2010 02:34AM
Well, I guess we've been callled to task. I'm just lazy, that's my excuse.

These pics were taken in November I think. My in-laws are horse people (shows I have no sense, marrying into that family!) and they've got a nice place with an arena that has a bunch of stalls and then has a small barn with 2 stalls. One of the stalls in the small barn was converted into a chicken run that has a hole cut into the wall so they can go in or out and have cover if they want. It's really a decent set up. They live out in the burbs kind of heading out to the "country" and so there are usually pests of some sort around. This is a story about their wood rats. They had gotten so bold that a few times people were in feeding the chickens and the rats would literally just sit and watch or a couple of times they ran over people's feet to get to the feed. So I got the call. I love hunting and shooting, but haven't really had much chance to. I'm trying to make up for lost time. So one week while I was there doing some work around their place I figure every couple of hours I'm going to take my gun (bone stock 1377) and see what I can can do. First I put up a piece of paper with a dot on it to see if I'm hitting anywhere close, and it's worthy of taking rats at 10 yards, so off we go. Now, I should let you guys know that this is a gun I got for Christmas about 20-22 years ago and I had just come across it in a box, so it's not like it's "my gun". If you're picking up what I'm throwing down. But I would totally suggest everyone having one. They're a ton of fun and for costing next to nothing, this one sure has gotten me into airgunning. Back to the story, so I sneak out there and peak around the door and, sure enough they're there. So I take aim and squeak, squeak, sque... That's it for that one. So I grab it and take a pic then throw it in the brush (I should have fed it to the chickens, but these chickens were young and didn't understand that a rat should be food, oh well) So I go back in and work for a bit and wander back out and I can't remember if I got another on right away, or if it was a day later or what. But over 2 weeks I took 4 of the little buggers. 2 adults and 2 pups. Great fun. It got to a point where my nephew (6 years old) was tiptoeing behind me to see if they were there and to see if I got one. Now he's to the point where almost every time he sees me he asks if I've got my gun and if we can shoot. I love it. It's so much fun to see him so excited about shooting. We haven't seen a rat since I did this and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad. This is so much fun.

I'm waiting for my income tax refund to come so I can buy a lathe and start messing around modding this gun and the 22xx series. I machined a bunch when I was younger and got away from it but now it's time to pick it up again and these guns are soooo simple that they seem a perfect place to play and pick up my chops again. There'll be pics of that sort of stuff once it starts to happen. Eventually I'll get further and further into it all, but these guns seem like a great place to dive back in. I'm not one to buy much "off the shelf". I can make anything and so I'm going to make my own stuff. Even if it costs 10 times as much.

So here's a few pics.
The first is a pic of the whole place to get a bearing. the small barn is closest and the bigger is in the background. The chicken run is on the far left.
The next is the door and the one after that is the view I was shooting from.
Then a few of the rats. Fat little buggers
Last is my nephew shooting my 2250 of a bi-pod I made at a target that Gary should recognize (It's the one he drew up with the mosquitos or bees or whatever they're supposed to be, the kids love the colors, they can call out "I'm shooting at the yellow one" or whatever color they want). Thanks Gary.

Katy's small barn.JPG
Katy's small barn (2).JPGKaty's small barn (3).JPGventers rat  10.29.2009 (2).JPGVenters rat pup 11.12.2009 (2).JPGVenter's rat pup #2 (3).JPGVentres rat # 2 11.3.2009.JPGJimmy shooting #2.JPG

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2010 03:03AM by Griffin.
April 26, 2010 02:45AM
Thanks for the post Griffin,

Good story. Good to get the youngsters started. Good to get rid of the rats!

I can't get the pics, I'm afraid. They just load and load ... and never show up. Sorry.

Maybe later.

GAry
April 26, 2010 03:08AM
Gary,

I'm not what you call tech savy. I had to go get my much better half to show me how to do it. They should be up now. Like I said, if I can see it I can build it, but electronics have me bamboozled. I can wire a house, but computers, ha ha, way over my head. Like that with cars too. If there's an issue I take it apart and see what isn't right. Now they're so dependant on computers that I'm out of luck on a lot of it. Still try, but it's not the same. Not as much fun IMHO
April 26, 2010 04:55AM
Hi Griffin,

Got the pics now. Thanks.

Those are dead rats ... you bet. thumbs up

I recognize that pistol. haha. That's the one. Mine worked just fine until the sights got all fuzzy. whistling I guess they get that way after about 27 years or so ... haha.

I also like things that are mechanical. Things that can be seen. I don't care for "magic boxes" that you use, without having a clue what's really inside. But - such is our world.

Thanks for the post.

Gary
April 27, 2010 04:29PM
Well, I can see someones been holding out on us. What a shooting paradise!

Lon
April 27, 2010 09:06AM
I think I've got one of those Crossmans sitting around somewhere. Bought it maybe 25 years ago, the only thing I ever hunted with it was giant Alabama flying cockroaches. They're a bit smaller than those rats but readily available in bulk lots...whether you want them or not.

As I recall, the trigger on it was just barely shy of needing a block and tackle to pull it back enough to fire, not exactly condusive to best accuracy. eye rolling smiley
April 27, 2010 04:34PM
Gary,

I had one of these in .22 but sold it a few years back. It was modified by one of the more renowned tuners and was quite nice but never saw much use so I sold it to fund something else which has probably also been sold to fund yet another shooting item.

I'm tuning 2240's which are CO2. I think the triggers are the same but I never looked inside the pumper and don't recall from the thousands of internet pictures what the trig config is.

All this chatter while juggling a lawyer, realtor and a bank that's "to big to fail" but should have been allowed to from my experience.stunned
April 27, 2010 05:12PM
Hi Lon,

I know little or nothing about these things.

So - the 2240's are CO2 then? That's great. Pumping this thing is a drain and time consuming.

I don't know how much of a "respected tuner" I might be ... but I made a decent trigger out of these parts. And, the receiver was designed to use the stock bolt and barrel, unaltered for either. Even used the back receiver blued steel "cap" that popped right in.

I can see how this would be fun to do. I'd sure rather go the pcp route.

'Gary
April 27, 2010 04:47PM
love this post. Very nice to see some FINE pistols.

Gunner: Those are without a doubt (in MY opinion) the 2 sexiest pistols i've seen. ummmhumm, did not mean to say SEXY as that's just not very manly. I meant to say, 2 "BAD ASS PISTOLS"..lol
April 27, 2010 05:18PM
Hey Cedric,

You're not going all "Metro" on us ... are ya? hahaha.

Has been a good post. I can't imagine it's soooooo difficult to get folks to show their guns. It's great when we manage to get a peek. Sort of feel like we're dealing in Extraterrestials. The evidence of some of these guns existing is so slim as to seem mere vapor. When you have to pull teeth to get someone to admit to owning a 1377 ... it's sad.

Hey - what did you want to know about my conversion of my pistol? I think that's something that might be safe to share. haha.

Hey - where do you buy some nice .177 barrels? I don't even know. People might think I know alot about the whole world of airguns ... but I stay pretty close under my own rock here.

Gary
April 27, 2010 07:33PM
Hi,Gary
That's website of German manufacturer with
wide range small bore barrels for air guns.
The US dealer location is over there too.

Alex.

[www.lothar-walther.com]

Lothar Walther Precision Tools, Inc.
3425 Hutchinson Rd.
Cumming, GA 30040

Phone: 770-889-9998
Fax: 770-889-4919
E-Mail:
lotharwalther@ mindspring.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2010 07:35PM by alex.
April 27, 2010 07:45PM
Hello Alex,

Thanks very much! thumbs up

That's very thorough, I appreciate it.

Gary
April 27, 2010 08:04PM
You're welcome, Gary.

I am trying 1 year to buy that bloody barrels.
But the dealer in my country went out of business.

Alex
April 27, 2010 11:15PM
All it took was a little bity bird and some growing insanity to get Gunner to show us the custom guns! OK, do we get to see the rest or do I have to send incontinent robins to all the members?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021