Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rifling

Rifling
May 25, 2010 04:01AM
OK, heres a hard one.

I know that its a big trade secret amongst gunsmiths, but here goes.

The Farco that I have is a .50cal air shotgun, but I use it for slugs as a rifle.

The only problem is that it is a smoothbore.

I want to rifle it but have to clue where to start.

It is solid brass, so shouldn't it be an easy task to cut into the bore for rifling?

Should the projectile be touching the sides of a smoothbore ? Or should it be slightly smaller?

Ignorant, I know, it's probably a great science involving great knowledge and yadayadayada, but I figured that maybe it could be easier that I think???? No?? Maybe?

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2010 04:19AM by hollowjacket.
Re: Rifling
May 25, 2010 04:57AM
Hi,Chris
It's really no one secret about rifling.
A lot of technics are useing, but all of it require the very specific
instruments and equipment.
The biggest secret is to choose and buy the apropriate barrel from
producent and attach it on shotgun
Another way is to use the pellets of Diabolo design or similar.
It was designed just for smoothbores.

Alex

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2010 05:03AM by alex.
May 25, 2010 03:01PM
Hi Chris,

It's technical. It takes very specific tooling. It uses trememdous pressure - so it would not be something to apply to a finished gun.

However:

Research "Barrel Liners". These are intended to renew worn out barrels. Usually, the old rifling is drilled out, and these new rifled liners are glued or soldered inside the old barrel. They are thin wall steel, with rifling cut inside. Since you have a large smooth barrel, you'd be all set to buy one that would fit inside. I'll bet a 38 cal - 10mm might fit. I think your gun is a muzzle loader, so it would work fine (just keep the breech open if you glue it in. Just butter the liner itself, rather than the inside of the old barrel. In that way, when you insert the liner, all the glue will be pushed away from the breech.

As a side note: if you'd use basic 5 minute epoxy, and just glue in the last few inches at the muzzle (if you were nervous about it all becoming permenant) ... then you can break that epoxy bond with just 200 degrees F or heat. A couple of inches of epoxy would retain it for some testing. Or ... if you like the idea of a complete change to your gun, go ahead and glue in the whole thing.

I think you'd end up with a nice powerful and accurate rifle.

Gary
May 25, 2010 06:41PM
Hi, Gary
here is some information about Farco .51 CO2 shotgun

[www.airguns.net]

Alex
May 25, 2010 07:13PM
OK ... Thanks Alex.

It's been 10-12 years since I saw one. I recall now that they are bolt action.

So - that changes the equation. Probably making the whole idea of lining the barrel a poor one. You'd need an entire insert system - which is like making a new top end.

Best thing then would be to shoot a "spool shaped" slug - some high tail drag design that stabalizes by it's shape - rather than spin.

Use it for what it was designed for. Get into a rifled pc. of ecomomical build at a later time. It's all fun.

Gary
May 25, 2010 08:37PM
Gary, I agree with you .
The Diabolo is one of the best proved high tail drag bullets, I guess.

Alex
May 26, 2010 01:56AM
Well ... other than Barnes designs ... whistling .... hahaha.

Gary
May 26, 2010 04:59AM
go info you guys. I learned me something today about barrel liners and i found a new website.

I love this place.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021