Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Springs

Springs
May 30, 2010 04:09PM
Gary,

Who's name brand of springs do you use in your guns GB? Who seems to make the best or use the best type of spring steel to you? Any knowledge would be appreciated.

I use Century Springs but in my JH, i notice that i loose power gradually over A SHORT TIME as the spring looses its compression strength. And yes, ITS ONLY IN THAT GUN. Don't have that problem with any other gun that i use those springs in.

Any thoughts?
Re: Springs
May 30, 2010 09:33PM
Hi Cedric,

Guess you don't want to hear that I wrap most of my springs ... huh ... eye rolling smiley

Well, the ones I don't wrap, I get in 12 inch commercial packs. I cut, heat, shape, grind, and anneal the ends to close them and make them flat and true.

The trick with springs is to NOT overstress them. You have to "scrag" a spring. Meaning to compress it coil bound a few times - even hold it there for awhile. THEN. having done that .... it's already been stressed. So, you cut and fit it, etc., and it should stay pretty well. Choosing the right diameter, and wire thickness ,.,.,. then the right length for the compression you want .... all comes with time and trial.

I wrap heavy springs on my lathes with tooling I made. I also made a bunch of jigs and mandrels to use when wrapping the small stuff with a drill.

I laid in all sorts of spring wire. All sizes. I can check the brands if you want. But it's not exotic stuff. That's a disappointment I know. haha. Some of the coils I've had for 15 years though. haha. It lasts awhile. It's more the usage than the kriptonite mixed into it. assimilate

I'm going shooting. It's a nice evening and I'm "home alone".

See ya later.
Gary
May 31, 2010 03:46PM
When I was experimenting with different power settings on the Ranger I wanted to put in a different spring. I searched all the well used sources on the internet for springs and couldn't find the O.D. and coil wire size of the spring that was in there.

Why don't you list your spring making business on the internet?whistling

BTW, IIRC the spring that was in there looked professionally made.wink

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2010 03:51PM by Bigbore.
May 31, 2010 04:45PM
Hello Lon,

That spring WAS professionally made. haha. Made by a grizzled old white haired knome knome.jpg in a little shop in Maryland shop.jpg

Gary

Yeah ... I should advertize that .... I need a project ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
June 01, 2010 05:51PM
Cedric, Lon,

Humerous "spring related" story. You may know that I have a gift for irritating folks. Family heritage ya know ... raised by wolves and all ...

Anyway; when I first started making airguns professionally, I went to the Little Rock, Ark. show. Probably Spring of 97 I guess. I took along the #1 and #2 guns. Maybe a few more. I forget. However; of course ... I didn't know anybody. Didn't know who was supposed to be a big deal - who to be honest in front of ... you know ... the normal pitfalls when you enter something new. dig it

At dinner one night, with a group of the people attending the show; I found myself sitting across from a guy named Jim Maccari. Nice fella. Didn't know him from Adam. And, surprise ... the conversation came around to airguns! haha. Somehow, the topic of "springs" came up. winking smiley ... you're getting ahead of me ... aren't you?

I must have been asked where I got my springs, and, being stupidly honest; I just said that "I made them. That it was the easiest part, of all the parts I had to make for a gun". eye popping smiley

Well, no terrible harm done. Jim must have explained that making fine custom springs was his specialty ... stunned .... and even ended up buying a gun from me at the show. thumbs up

Now - think about it. After machining valve bodies from blocks of steel, intake valves, and rifling barrels ... making the tooling to wrap springs was within the scope of my experience. I wasn't trying to be smart. But ... of course, I made a few other little faux pas. Some with the ordained elite. bowing Most of those never forgave me for my crass ignorance of their importance.

Jim, however; was a good fella. thumbs up

Gary
June 02, 2010 04:48PM
OH OK then, you make your own.

Well, that is pretty darned cool i have to say. But you did give me some ideas to play with in you above mentioned post. So i appreciate the intel.

BOY, if i only had some of your equipment. I think i would become DR FRANgunSTEIN....lol. You guys get it? FRANGUNSTEIN? Awe man, i crap myself up.
June 02, 2010 07:23PM
stunned

I don't get it ...
June 02, 2010 07:24PM
More coffee

Gosh ... I didn't intend to actually reveal anything ... helpful ... hahah.

What are you gonna try?

GAry
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021