How It's Done .....The Movie
August 19, 2011 08:29PM
Every which way but loose!

Enjoy ... take a bow

Gary

Re: How It's Done .....The Movie
August 19, 2011 11:12PM
Right turn, Clyde !!!

SO, based on this you can Clearly rub your belly and pat your head at the same time - hehe

couldn't tell from that angle - were you climb cutting as well as standard milling, or just swing back and starting the next pass?
August 20, 2011 01:00AM
Hi Joebill,

That was all regular milling. Around the perimeter, then in a spiral inwards to clear the ground. Then, starting high, and swooping downward to take the bulk of the thumb groove. thumbs up

Yeah ... I've gotten so that's all as natural as drawing a circle.

I do a lot of climb cutting. That gives the best finish on many things. I also keep a blast of air on the bit while climb cutting .... to keep the chips cleared. When climb cutting, always tighten your ways somewhat.

Gary
August 20, 2011 05:33AM
The material here for ribbing him is plentiful.

"So what prize dropped down the crane chute?"

Thanks for the interesting video.

Lon
August 20, 2011 02:39PM
More work.
August 20, 2011 12:54AM
Pretty dog on awesome GB. Loved it. Man, i was watching you work both arms a the same time in both directions and i have to be honest, if that was me, someone would have wanted a full refund on their stock and gun. Seriously, that was some good insight into what you do.........WOW!
August 20, 2011 01:06AM
Glad you liked it Faz. hahah. Now - if you had been there, we'd have a professional movie and voice over to watch. ;?)

You do get so .... eventually .... that you just don't think about what you are turning and how. You just think what you "intend" to do, and the hands do it. Not only are you using each hand independently, but you are doing so at different rythmns ... one hand pauses to reverse direction ... the other speeds up. It's a dance.

fish

Gary
August 20, 2011 02:06AM
But BALLROOM dancing is out of the question!
August 20, 2011 06:42PM
it wil be perfect
August 22, 2011 10:19PM
So What, do you not have something for your feet to be doing at the same time as well. hahaha

Rick G.
August 24, 2011 01:42AM
Really interesting to watch that dance of work. Thanks.
August 24, 2011 02:13AM
Thanks. Green bowing

I appreciate the note. Thanks for watching.

Gary
August 26, 2011 05:36AM
So...by chance, did you get really, really good with your Etch-a-sketch as a kid?more innocent

On a slightly more serious note, I can partly see why you have such problems with your back. Would it be possible to put the whole mill up on a platform 12-14 inches higher? I know it weighs a ton and that it would try to vibrate itself off, but at least then you wouldn't be stooped over like a vulture peering down at your work. Might help, anyway.
August 26, 2011 01:25PM
Hi Sean,

All of the machines in my shop, are already on stands a good 8" taller than all the "factory stands" that I bought with the machines. Part of the problem is that a complete project is not made up of repeat operations. What's perfect for one operation, is wrong for the other 867 operations. I have to dial in my tri-focals. And, the light is never just right. Too dark, or too bright. In shadow or glare. Incadecent makes the best light, until you burn your mustache off with the lamp while concentrating. LCD light is cold blue ... and plays games with the lines. Flourscent light is ..... well .... it's flourscent ... isn't it? And so, I fight on.

The head of the mills go up and down many times a day. The same with the work table of the drill press. I go from lathe to lathe for different operations. This chuck allows these operations, that one doesn't. This lathe set up is a bit more accurate for this kind of cut. Sadly, all my tools are not Mercedes brand. I mostly work with KIA and old Hyundai pcs. The Mercedes is between my ears. ;?) But ... it's a 1954 and could use a good tune up. hahah.

Yes Sean. Etch-a-sketch. All those diagonal lines and circles paid off! hahaha

Gary
August 30, 2011 05:41PM
wow ,,, and thats without seeing your feet peddaling the drill to start with , ever thought of being a drummer.
August 30, 2011 06:26PM
No - I hate anything "repetitive". Years ago, a neighbor used to play drums. In his attic. Then, in his basement. Then, in a room with the windows stuffed with insulation. No matter ... it would penetrate eight feet of concrete.

Pet, Pet, Pet ... Pet, Pet. Pet, Pet, Pet .... Pet. Pet, Pet, Pet ... Pet. Pet, Pet, Pet ... Pet. Pet, Pet, Pet ... Pet. Pet, Pet, Pet ... Pet. Pet, Pet, Pet ... Pet. Pet, Pet, Pet ... Pet. Pet, Pet, Pet ... Pet. Pet, Pet, Pet ... Pet. For hours at a time. Thought I'd loose my mind. Probably did ... look at me ... I'm a wreck. crazy

Apologies to really, really, really good ... master musicians. The rest is repetative NOISE. excited

I was thinking of taking up "Bag Pipes". Now ... my multi-tasking would come in handy there!!

;?)

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021