Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assembling the Hagan 45 Nitro Express

Assembling the Hagan 45 Nitro Express
May 20, 2010 07:23PM
Hagan Nitro 003.JPG

It's bottom tube is assembled with intake, firing valve, and seals, and is pressurized.

Hagan Nitro 002.JPG

Hagan Nitro 005.JPG

Hagan Nitro 016.JPG

The rest of it is being completed asap.
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2010 09:46PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Assembling the Hagan 45 Nitro Express
May 20, 2010 09:55PM
Sweet . . . I know Hugh will be ready to put it through its paces.

Hey . . . I saw a blurb about "digitizing the inventory list" etc. before you edited this post. Was gonna comment on that, and "push button production" . . . but now no one would know what I was talking about. eye popping smiley

-- Jim
May 21, 2010 01:27AM
Hi Jim,

I had mentioned a partial list of other guns that are in a similar state of completion. However; that always sets me up for going thru the entire ledger and attempting some sort of status report on fifty different projects. It's a tar baby to mention just a few.

The push button comment regarded a fantasy "IF" this were a TV show, then I could have staff digitize all the wonderful CG images of parts flying together from storage locations. Show a Gary working at the lathe, then fade that Gary while another Gary morphs thru depictions of the passage of time. Yet another Gary sits carving, while another is popped out in a cloud explaining theory. It would all be so .... Science Channel. scholar And look so "busy". As it is ... I'm still just the one guy doing one thing at a time ... and each "thing" takes several hours. So; viewing reality would be more like watching a glacier melt. winking smiley

Gary
May 21, 2010 01:04PM
That vision resonated with me . . . we're in the process of installing such a system for automated image processing of many terabytes of data. Wanna make it go faster? Just throw another server onto the network. on the phone

That point is completely lost on most people just discovering your stuff, I think. You can't "scale up" by adding more equipment, or people, or physical space, given your current way of doing things. They don't really understand what it takes to actually machine EVERY part by hand, or to pull your own barrels. "Gary" is the bottleneck. eye popping smiley And that's OK because that is how you have chosen to define what it is that you do. Every part of every gun is made personally by you. There is no CNC, or "outsourcing," or any 3rd party fabrication or labor. Just . . . Gary. And quite frankly, I think that's the way you like it because it lets you keep 100% control of your quality. I also think the idea of "managing" someone Get crackin' makes your skin crawl. Heheh . . . I'll bet neither of you would last an hour. rolling happy smiley

OK . . . back to "managing" my employee and scaling up my automated infrastructure . . . wink

-- Jim
May 21, 2010 03:14PM
Hi Jim,

Well, good luck with your effort. I'm sure you'll succeed in developing a reputation for producing amazing quality.

And then .... you'll also experience the "collective yawn" you witness here unless I bring in an honest to goodness alien skull. Then, next week, the alien skulls get the yawn, and I have to find something "interesting". If it's been seen before ... no matter it represents a hundred hours of painstaking detail work ... yawnnnnnn ... seen it.

Just keeps me all warm and tingly for putting in the next hundred hours.

Gary
May 21, 2010 03:25PM
Hey . . . we even have smileys for that!

alien skull

-- Jim
May 21, 2010 09:47PM
Gary,

You've forgotten the "Benny Hill" type transitions where we see you scurrying from one station to the next! Play it all in high speed to fit in 30 minutes plus commercial time and it will look like you're Popeye overdosed on spinich!
May 22, 2010 01:22AM
Benny Hill,

Right. I'll need a bunch of "healthy" nurses running to and fro. Not sure I'll get that thru management ... knucklehead
May 22, 2010 02:14AM
Good Greif!
I feel like a daddy looking at an ultrasound! Is it a boy...or an OH BOY!! It looks fabulous, Gary. Can't wait. Until then, I will keep burning some powder.
Hugh
May 22, 2010 07:40AM
OK. Gary, I now have a mental picture of the nurses (say, half a dozen, scantily clad) delivering Hugh's Nitro Express, in a less than express manner I hope, I'm thinking they will stay a while, pointing out the positive features of this gun, of course, before returning to their nursing duties...jammin'
OK, I'll go now.
Cheers
Neil
May 22, 2010 04:51PM
Hello Hugh,

It's a Boy! Some of the "boy parts" aren't installed yet ... whistling

I'm glad you are pleased.

I made a friction free hammer for you yesterday. I have to make up the trigger block and levers ... then the hammer tube cap and ball bearing spring guide. At that point, I could install the bolt and fire it.

thumbs up

Gary
June 18, 2010 07:22PM
I've been working on the trigger block and firing levers again today. Closer to having the action ready to fire.

I'll be heat treating the tool steel trigger, sear bar, and hammer link this afternoon.

Then I can make the hammer tube cap, main spring, and ball bearing spring guides.

Gary
June 18, 2010 10:24PM
Gary, you've never posted a picture of your special heat treating fluid. More coffee
June 21, 2010 08:20PM
rifling looks crisp , a view id rather not see to often , the business end of a barnes ,,, looking forwards to the end result
t
June 27, 2010 05:50AM
I'm still holding out for the time-lapse video of Gary working in the shop. There'd be a blur of activity at this machine tool or that jig or the other fixture...and a nice, steady photo of him in front of the coffee pot with a sappy smile on his face. laughing again

It'd be like one of those time/motion studies that the industrial "efficiency experts" did in the automobile factories back in the old days. Except that the logical conclusion would have to be that...without coffee, Gary's efficiency drops to alarmingly low levels. More coffee
June 27, 2010 02:36PM
Ah ... Coffee ... it's at my left hand right now .... coffee singing .... it's the "Engine of Industry". haha.

Regarding the time lapse documentary ... all the footage of me hunting for stuff I just sat down would be embarrassing. haha. Then there'd be the hours of me trying to remember if I took my pills at 12:30 ... wink

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021